colour selection complaints with builder

Well it seems that many purchasers of Vu condos are having horrendous experiences with their colour selection.

The developer has changed the kitchen cabinet supplier from their originally stated Paris Kitchens to Frendel Kitchens, and also changed the design and character of the cabinets fronts/drawers/handles, etc.

The following excerpts are from Vutalk.com:

TotallyStupid said:
We went yesterday and it was not a pleasant experience.

You can't get drawers in the kitchen island, the cupboard handles are half the size and mounted vertically as opposed to horizontally. The 3 frosted glass cupboard doors that were an upgrade in the model actually only come in a brushed steel look and are $700 each otherwise they just extend the cupboard doors down. ...

The people helping us pick the stuff out were very helpful but I have a hard time understanding why they didn't pick a kitchen manufacturer who makes drawers...

It's not fun to go in and be told some of the things that were used to help sell you on the condo don't even exist but I guess they already got our money so what do they care?

morocha said:
I am mad as hell!!!

Today we had our color selection date. It was a very stressful 2 hrs.
I am going to start with the kitchen: since the builder changed the supplier from Paris Kitchens to Frendel Kitchens the upgrade for the bottom flip up doors with Glass doesn’t exist anymore. The only option is to either have a different door made of some kind of metal with glass in it. This will not match any color or material you select. On top of this, the handles in the top doors will be vertical and the bottom will be horizontal. Just a horror story. ...

I believe we are being taken for a ride and I am not going to take it.
To begin with I refused to sign for the kitchen handles and I will post a formal complain with Aspen Ridge.
I though we bought from a reputable builder, what a joke!!!
I have being given several names to call and send letters. I urge all of you that are unsatisfied with the options given to do something about it before is too late.

cdr108 said:
When did they change the kitchen supplier to Frendel kitchens (never heard of them) from Paris?
We have it on the mailings they sent us that they selected Paris - that's written in black and white, can they change it on us?
What is with the handles being changed to vertical from horizontal - why can't they remain horizontal, does it cost any more to put them on horizontal?

Morocha, what are the names and titles of the people they referred you to?
Did they also indicate to you that the island would NOT get drawers?

I can't understand why they would tell TotallyStupid that the supplier doesn't make drawers?
I went to Frendel's website and they have a kitchen gallery showing drawers in some of the examples.

I went to the Presentation Center (PC) last weekend to check out the standard cabinet choices, and the rep showed me there are only 3 choices: white, off-white, and brown woodgrain - all are thermofoil.

When I was at the original PC on the corner of Adelaide/Jarvis, I recall the choices were white, light wood grain, and brown wood grain (like the model suite).
Did anyone take pictures of the 3 standard colour schemes?

I would like to choose the light wood grain but now it's an upgrade - WTF ?!?!?!?

I do not know if what Aspen Ridge is doing here is legal or not, but surely it is unethical.

Do developers really want to mess with purchasers this way when their indiscretions can be so easily aired on the internet now? Aspen Ridge, who have been around quite a while as a homebuilder, but are still young when it comes to condo building, is endangering any reputation they have built up with this disregard for their purchasers.

I hope they come to regret their actions here, as what one developer gets away with, others will try.

Is that legal?

Say you bought in the Ritz, would it be legal to for a buyer to purchase a unit thinking they are getting Boffi kitchens or some high end kitchen supplier and then have them switched to a lesser brand without any cost adjustments?

Originally Posted by cdr108
When did they change the kitchen supplier to Frendel kitchens (never heard of them) from Paris?
We have it on the mailings they sent us that they selected Paris - that's written in black and white, can they change it on us?
What is with the handles being changed to vertical from horizontal - why can't they remain horizontal, does it cost any more to put them on horizontal?

Okay, so out of curiosity I looked at both Paris and Frendel Kitchens' websites; Paris's is very vague while Frendel's is more in depth. (Btw, I never knew Paris Kitchens is based out of Paris Ontario: Cool! Here's an article about them: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/kitchen_design/54013 )

http://www.frendel.com/

http://www.pariskitchens.com/about.html

So Paris Kitchens' manufacturing is based around having horizontal mounted handles, while Frendel's is vertically mounted. Can Frendel change it for you? Probably not. Here's the reason I suspect: Having worked in manufacturing before, in a similar business, the entire "shop" is set up for either one or the other mounting. So Frendel can not change the handle.

Now, you probably could. Take handle off, get filler, refinish the doors yourself! Which is it?

Btw, noticed that Frendel's designs are overall very "dated" and "cheap" looking. I wonder if Paris Kitchen's cost too much or have supply line issues?

I'm certain Aspen Ridge have their butts covered. (Legally.)

Both kitchen's are not my style--I prefer high end Italian or German kitchens. (Or better, I'd custom design my own.:D)

this is really disturbing ... I always liked Aspen Ridge before seeing they built such good products (low-rise housing) ... AR better smarten up~

Btw, noticed that Frendel's designs are overall very "dated" and "cheap" looking. I wonder if Paris Kitchen's cost too much or have supply line issues?

Both kitchen's are not my style--I prefer high end Italian or German kitchens. (Or better, I'd custom design my own.:D)
I totally agree. Both companies seem to provide a nearly identical product (that ugly Home & Country ranch style kitchen such as you might find in god forsaken homes with dollhouse decor and super high bed beds with fairytale canopies, the musical stylings of Garth Brooks playing gently in the background, big tupperware pick up truck parked out front), and neither is spectacular, so I don't know why people are so furious.

Okay, so out of curiosity I looked at both Paris and Frendel Kitchens' websites; Paris's is very vague while Frendel's is more in depth. (Btw, I never knew Paris Kitchens is based out of Paris Ontario: Cool! Here's an article about them: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/kitchen_design/54013 )

http://www.frendel.com/

http://www.pariskitchens.com/about.html

So Paris Kitchens' manufacturing is based around having horizontal mounted handles, while Frendel's is vertically mounted. Can Frendel change it for you? Probably not. Here's the reason I suspect: Having worked in manufacturing before, in a similar business, the entire "shop" is set up for either one or the other mounting. So Frendel can not change the handle.

Now, you probably could. Take handle off, get filler, refinish the doors yourself! Which is it?

I'm certain Aspen Ridge have their butts covered. (Legally.)

Welcome to buying a condo in a hot market guys and by the way ..if these are the biggest problem you guys have, than you can count yourself lucky. Youve just been ripped off and there is absolutely nothing you can realistcally do about it. Check with your lawyer. I did. Cityzen pulled similar crap with me at London on the Esplanade ..only worst. The model I purchased (and about so did about 50 others) had an overhead bank of cupboards (approx. 10 1/2 feet) over the breakfast bar showing in the original drawing when we bought the place. "These have been deleted." No explanation, no credit, nothing. All you get is "That was an error" and a shrug of the shoulders and a sympathetic smile. Its take it or leave it.
On the opposite wall in this galley kitchen there is a grand total of an overhead cupboard over the fridge, one over the stove and and two cupboards approx: 15" or less, and thats it. Really! Unbelievable.
My blood pressure is higher that building right now.:mad:

I need to clarify one thing. You may have been blatantly ripped off when the builder represented quality items as standard to you and then saddled you with cheaper crap. There IS something you can do. Document everything! Dates, times, emails, letters, sales brochures etc. After you close, then you go after them...with a lawsuit. Your lawyer will now get you a different lawyer who handles this type of thing. Thats the advise I got and that is what I will be doing.

this is really disturbing ... I always liked Aspen Ridge before seeing they built such good products (low-rise housing) ... AR better smarten up~

color=#0040BF]As I am reading “Schedule “B†VU- South Residences, Suite Features reads as this:
The vendor shall have the right to make reasonable changes in the opinion of the vendor in the plans and specifications if required and to substitute other materials, with materials that are of equal or better quality then that provided for herein………
The determination shall be made by the vendor’s architect, bla, bla,bla.

If this is correct and binding then the changes are not legal. I am not and unfortunately don’t have a lawyer to find out.
On the other hand they are telling me that the appliances can’t be up-graded. In any new development you can do this, because it is between the buyer and the appliances supplier.
They will deliver to the unit whatever you bough. There is no difference to the builder.

As far as the change of kitchen cabinet supplier maybe they found Frendel Kitchen to be cheaper. It's not fun to go in and be told some of the things that were used to help sell you on the condo don't even exist.

I would suggest to all interested parties to have a written petition to the builder and the architect before is too late.To all buyers affected by this situation: please give me your opinion about this. We must act fast. I don’t think Aspen Ridge and or the Architect will benefit from having bad publicity. The Internet is a good channel to do this.
To begin we must start complaining in writing to:
Angie Dipede and her contact e-mail is adipede@aspenridgehomes.com

She is the manager of Design coordination. Beside her, to call 905-669-9292 Aspen Ridge head office (High- Rise department)

Waiting for feed back- Morocha-

The vendor shall have the right to make reasonable changes in the opinion of the vendor in the plans and specifications if required and to substitute other materials, with materials that are of equal or better quality then that provided for herein………

'equal or better quality' ... Can anyone comment from personal experience or industry knowledge on the quality of Frendel vs. Paris Kitchens ???

FYI ... the style of kitchen doors/fronts to be used are the slab european style, NOT as grey stated 'that ugly Home & Country ranch style kitchen'.

From the limited research of Frendel's website, it appears we have been given the cheapest choice available, and only given 3 of the 7 styles as standard options while the others are upgrades:

Viking I - "line contains 7 decorative slab melamine styles to choose from and carries a low price tag that is sure to fit almost anyone's budget."

^^^ THAT's why I am upset.

From Paris Kitchen's website, it appears their materials and workmanship are superior, and over a century of business. I'm familiar with their products in many condos and quality of work.

Back