Was the design of this building altered? It looks nothing like the renderings.

I was worried about the giant pre-cast panels that were going to face YDS, but it appears that the North face of the tower will have much more glass than the renderings suggested?

The entire strip of pre-cast present on the North-West side of the building seems to be replaced with glass in reality.

The design of the building was heavily value-engineered post-renderings.

DSC_5829.jpg
DSC_5877.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_5829.jpg
    DSC_5829.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 1,515
  • DSC_5877.jpg
    DSC_5877.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 1,496
You've really captured the scale here, kotsy. My favourite pics of DST so far. I'm one of two people that actually likes this building.

I think because it's so crappy it seems to 'fit' Yonge and Dundas. My fear is that the whole city is getting cleaned up so much and everything gritty is being pushed out to the suburbs. There's nothing luxury or quality about this new structure. I think that's the appeal for me. I can see unsavory people living here. Or people that shop at H&M.

In this close-up of kotsy's last photo, you can see where more the pink precast will be installed.

Screen shot 2016-01-09 at 1.39.26 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-09 at 1.39.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-09 at 1.39.26 AM.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,392
I like how it dominates the square looking south east; it helps frame the square and makes it look more 'big city'.

^ Dammit! I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Looks like I got my hopes up RE: the design changing.

I think because it's so crappy it seems to 'fit' Yonge and Dundas. My fear is that the whole city is getting cleaned up so much and everything gritty is being pushed out to the suburbs. There's nothing luxury or quality about this new structure. I think that's the appeal for me. I can see unsavory people living here. Or people that shop at H&M.

This isn't grit - which is suggestive of something old, well worn but slightly hip. This is trashy.

AoD

I guess that's what appeals to me having grown up in a trashy neighbourhood. And yet, I think that this construction by GG's Tucker HiRise will still be of a higher quality than the crap/trash that Bluescape created with our River City (initially wanting to live in a trashy neighbourhood).

St. Michael's Cathedral's steeple looks incredible in that photo. St. James' has been needing similar restoration for decades.

Back