ud:

Sure, how much are you contributing? ;) I certainly don't mind a new facility to workout in.

The current Y already got a landscaped green roof with an outdoor running track around it.

AoD

What they should do: bulldoze that hideous YMCA and put a park there. Put the new YMCA with a rooftop "garden" in the podium of a 3-tower 11 Wellesley development.

That YMCA is one of the nicest examples of architecture in that area of the city. Tearing it down would be a crime.

Were the people that have been advocating a park at 11 Wellesley expecting it to run all the way to Yonge St or is this just an UrabnToronto phenomenon. From what I understand no one was advocating or desired the potential park to demolish a block of Yonge. It's an idea that appeared only here. Strange.

What should have happened:

http://s8.postimg.org/a8e3os3dh/Canada_park_toronto.jpg

Sometimes a city needs to just say 'not this time' and do what's right for the long term benefit of the city. The city could have done an asset swap with the province to make up the cash shortfall between what it had and what Lanterra paid.

Those Vics have served Toronto well for 100 years, but they'd do far more good elsewhere so that the needs of a growing modern Toronto can be properly met. Bathurst? Ossington? Even stretches of Bloor in Koreatown. There are thousands of better spots for them than here.

We move buildings like these all the time so it's quite do-able.

wow....this would have been spectacular.

What they should do: bulldoze that hideous YMCA and put a park there. Put the new YMCA with a rooftop "garden" in the podium of a 3-tower 11 Wellesley development.

this is really good idea. I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss it as a possibility.

What possible advantage would that be to the Y? Tear down a modern well equipped facility, which they own and have low overhead costs...move it into a facility they don't own and cannot control and then have to pay inflated rent for.

It's a pipe dream and I think there are shrooms in the weed.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Were the people that have been advocating a park at 11 Wellesley expecting it to run all the way to Yonge St or is this just an UrabnToronto phenomenon.

It was just the 11 Wellesley W. St. lands, nothing to do with anything on Yonge Street.

Great idea. Sobey's & McDonalds, by far the busiest, most in-demand businesses on that block :rolleyes:

Yep, We REALLY need to keep an overpriced mini-supermarket and a McDonalds.
facepalm.gif

Attachments

• facepalm.gif
    facepalm.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 479
Yep, We REALLY need to keep an overpriced mini-supermarket and a McDonalds.

I live in the area and I like Sobey's, there are no others nearby. More importantly it's mostly a great block of retail and collection of buildings.

I live in the area and I like Sobey's, there are no others nearby. More importantly it's mostly a great block of retail and collection of buildings.

There's a Sobeys in College Park, also a Metro. There's a Loblaws at MLG. The Sobeys on Breadalbane is pathetic, they never have the specials in stock, and the food in the freezers has freezer burn.

Lost opportunity

The downtown Y is the largest in the country. This was an excellent opportunity for the city and the Y to work together creatively on a park next door. More than ever, we need open spaces and parkland. It's a sad day for the city and an everlasting reminder of a short-sighted provincial government who waste hundred of millions of dollars cancelling power plants and won't preserve land for a public park in downtown Toronto.

jmacmillan:

I think the Y is looking at a decentralized model with more facilities in different neighbourhoods instead of a megafacility in the core. Certainly, they have worked with the province to such ends (e.g. the post-Pan Am West Don Lands Y). Makes sense, if you ask me, given the role of the Y in community building.

AoD

No disrespect to the park lovers, but I'm not feeling it.

Especially since, we know that there are a lot of drug abusing kids (And their wacky drug dealers) that love to hang out at Yonge and Wellesley. It would just make the area into a pure hell hole if you ask me. The drug dealers are all over the place there, especially by the bank machines at the corner, making their deals and phone calls. Reminds me of Yonge and Dundas back in the day. The place needs a a tanker truck of Javex to just spray the place down.

Back