It's called the CN Tower, and if you put some height in that part of town, you'd have multiple competing focal points and that would be inferior by your logic.

AoD

In his defence the CN Tower is over a kilometre away from this site, which is further away than NPS. I doubt if a building were proposed at Queen & Bay that was 400m that you would complain about it "taking away from the CN Tower"

We have a front page story up on this now, as well as a new dataBase page (linked above!). Both have lots more detail than has been available until now. There are some interesting plans here!

How are they going about building below the gardiner? Who's land is that? And how would that affect burrying the highway at a later date? Cool proposal nonetheless.

P.s. how did those billboards gain heritage status? :S

^^ Nice job. That rendering makes one wish for some more height in that part of town. It's starting to look like a 'table top' with everything in the 25-40 floor range. North American skylines always look better with a significant focal point.

CityPlace Signature towers will provide the focal point this west end of the skyline needs. They will be just east of the buildings with the connecting bridge and will be 66-70 floors plus large roof features, allowing the buildings to top out somewhere in the 750 to 850 ft range. Supposedly, Concord is planning colourful buildings with public art displays. I imagine they will command quite the attention. Although construction isn't going to start until 2016-2017... by 2020 they will totally dominate TO's western skyline and become the focal point of CityPlace.

I love aA and their fully-glazed aesthetic, but I have to say... I dream of the day they move away from exclusively designing fully-glazed towers. I'd love to see what they could create in the vein of Picasso or other towers that make use of pre-cast, composite, and other types of panel cladding.

How are they going about building below the gardiner? Who's land is that? And how would that affect burrying the highway at a later date? Cool proposal nonetheless.

They already own the land under the Gardiner, their building was older than the Gardiner.

It won't affect burying the highway at a later date as the Gardiner will never be buried anyway.

SPIRE:

They did use precast in their much earlier projects - eg. Indigo (?), Apex, District Loft (?).

Travis3000:

They probably won't be dominating much of anything when/if the Gehry/Mirvish and the MTCC/Foster projects went ahead.

I42: thanks for the plans and sections!

AoD

SPIRE:

They did use precast in their much earlier projects - eg. Indigo (?), Apex, District Loft (?).

Travis3000:

They probably won't be dominating much of anything when/if the Gehry/Mirvish and the MTCC/Foster projects went ahead.

I42: thanks for the plans and sections!

AoD

Good point. IF they go ahead. I personally believe the signature towers have a better chance of going ahead because they are the final project of CityPlace, and the city knows that Concord has always planned on building these things. The Mirvish towers in my opinion either won't materialize at all, or won't even get off the ground until 2020 with construction probably going right to 2025. They are a long term project, more of a vision right now.

The retail portion sounds interesting but I'm not feeling this preliminary design of the towers. Hopefully they improve as this proposal progresses. I think towers featuring streamline moderne influences would relate better with the base. Concepts like Step Tower come to mind.

CityPlace Signature towers will provide the focal point this west end of the skyline needs.

Quite right. It will add some vertical variation for sure. Table top skylines look so contrived and forced.

Last edited:
Last look before demo and rebuilding.

lakeshoreloblaws.jpg

Are you saying work will start soon? Which part?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back