Can we for once not have a thread that turns to 905 bashing? It's as bad as bringing up Hitler.

I grew up in the suburbs and have been living downtown for the past few years so I have experienced both to an extent. I would say the people I grew up around (young and old) viewed downtown Toronto as the coolest place on earth - with more interesting people and places to see. I honestly never once heard anyone talk about downtowners as pompous and certainly not spoiled (I grew up in Oakville).

Now about the project... It's going to be interesting to see how they treat this building in comparison to Maple Leaf Gardens.

Can we for once not have a thread that turns to 905 bashing? It's as bad as bringing up Hitler.

facepalm.jpg

In this comparison the leader of the 905 is Hazel? I'm not seeing the parallel between generalizations about 905 attitudes and Hitler. There is far more comparison between 905 bashing and calling people living in the old city "bike riding pinkos" or "elitists".

In this comparison the leader of the 905 is Hazel? I'm not seeing the parallel between generalizations about 905 attitudes and Hitler. There is far more comparison between 905 bashing and calling people living in the old city "bike riding pinkos" or "elitists".

I don't think CC was implying what you think. I believe they were just drawing a comparison between 905 bashing on the UT forums and Godwin's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Does anyone know if they will be removing the signs from the top of the building?

I think it's safe to say that they will be staying. Those signs make their owners a lot of money. I heard that one of the big challenges was doing the renovations in such a way that the signs are left intact... if they were taken down there's almost certainly no way that they would get permission to re-erect them.

Unless there were some arrangement to (momentarily or not) transfer "sign rights" off that specific location; maybe to a freestanding pylon on-site, or something...

Hate to burst your bubble but, 17 Fort York Boulevard is in the West One block of Cityplace. The residents are right with respects to it being "a block away"

The article said it was west of Bathrust Street. That would put it in the Fort York neighbourhood but I guess the article was wrong. I thought Fort York Blvd started at Bathurst Street?

You've got be kidding me, seriously. I genuinely hate this type of attitude. I'm from the 905 and I fully support that area being developed; after Strachan/Stadium Ave, that whole area becomes a wasteland. Some stores, bars and night life would benefit that area.

Oh but I guess my opinion does count, right? Because I'm from the nasty 905? Oh right, I should get out of your town. Maybe the residents in that area are those who work long hours and have stressful jobs, or maybe starting a small family? And they've found an area of the city, that's quiet. Maybe they want to continue to enjoy that way of life? Or hark! Maybe they're native Torontonians who've grown up and enjoyed a quieter downtown life?? God forbid!!

Seriously, I've only been apart of these forums for two weeks and I'm already mortified beyond belief at some of the attitude some people have. If I wanted a bitchfest about the 905, I'd read blogTO more often; I though there was going to be a more sophisticated and focused discussion here.

I never said the 905 was nasty. For most people in the GTA, the 905 stands for suburban living, where one needs a car to survive. I did not pass any judgement on that and I was not bashing the 905. I was just saying that a central, urban, high density neighbourhood, should act like an urban neighbourhood. People should not have to jump in a car to get a coffee, get something to eat or buy a loaf of bread. Our streets are way overcrowded with cars as it is. Not only that, it's a bad way to design a downtown neighbourhood. (for many reasons) With all those tall condos, there is no excuse not to have all the services and retail that a highly populated neighbourhood should.

If suburbanites want to maintain their suburban way of life, that's their business but expect urbanites to have their own agenda. From Duffrin, to The Don, to Davenport, keep it URBAN and animated!

And remember what "905" is usually taken as a euphemism for, in these condo-demographic cases

425.jerseyshore.cast.lc.120809.jpg

I think it's safe to say that they will be staying. Those signs make their owners a lot of money. I heard that one of the big challenges was doing the renovations in such a way that the signs are left intact... if they were taken down there's almost certainly no way that they would get permission to re-erect them.

I could see the signs losing significance to the owners the way the area has developed since it was first proposal. One of the four faces has already been deemed useless by Panorama and LTD will leave an impact as well. Of course, they'll stay if they can find a way to keep them up on the cheap.

FINALLY! Life comes to The Fort York Nieighbourhood and possibly a new bar/restaurant at 17 Fort York Blvd. The Fox and Fiddle has applied for a liqor licence. It's to be built into a 42 story condo, just west of Bathurst. Local residents are, of course, not happy about the situation and claim they already have a restaurant "a block away" at the St. Louis Bar & Grill. Is Spadina only 1 block away from Bathurst Street? Somebody get these people a map! lol I read this in the local rag, The Bulletin. Locals are claiming the bar/restaurant will casuse too much noise. I guess they prefer to live in a ghost town, in downtown Toronto. No stores, no restaurants, no people. What is wrong with these people? If I lived in Fort York, I'd be begging for stores, restaurants, bars, cafes and some signs of life. (as well as eyes on the street, for safety) Ship these people back to the 905, please! They don't deserve to live in downtown Toronto.

The article in The Bulletin saying Fox and Fiddle restaurant is applying for a liquor license for the 17 Fort York space (ground level of N1/N2 building). However, Adam Vaughan and CityPlace Residents Association are making sure that it will be more of a restaurant and not a bar, and that noise will not be an issue. Thumbs up to them! If F&F comes, it will be a welcome addition, assuming that they can make it more of a restaurant establishment as opposed to a bar. The space is huge and the outside patio area is spacious.

Last edited:

Back