The buildings have a vaguely 70s Hazelton Lanesy feel to them. This project is much, much better than what I could imagine being proposed for the site, but I'm a little concerned about the precedent being set. It's a pleasant, interesting, very urban low-rise neighbourhood. I'd hate to see it torn apart by developers. I like the setback and I'm glad the towers are being built on parking lots back near the rail corridor. We shall see if they can come up with decent designs for the tower, since these renderings look pretty preliminary.

These are barely "renderings" in the marketing sense that we normally see them - these are very preliminary, and quickly produced as it's just a massing question at this point.

Finally, with its link to the Coffin Factory and the nearby abattoir, the condo-buying goth market can finally be tapped.

Hey guys I went to the public consultation last week. Personally I think the proposal looks nice. I do worry about talk of adding a road to the south through Build Toronto's land as people will probably use it as a shortcut due the traffic on Bathurst during rush hour and overwhelm the side streets with traffic. I also wonder what kind of retail tenants they are looking for. I think a locally owned restaurant would be a good fit although I don't know if noise issues will be a problem, there is that bar with a patio a block north if Im not mistaken. Link below has my recap!

www.planTO.ca

Last edited:
http://mikelayton.ca/public-meeting-89-109-niagara-street-planning-application

Public meeting: 89-109 Niagara Street Planning Application
Posted on: February 14th, 2014

The City is holding the second of three Community Consultation meetings to discuss the planning application for 89-109 Niagara Street.

When: Thursday, March 6, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m – 8:30 p.m
Where: Niagara Street Junior Public School, Gymnasium – 222 Niagara Street (map)

Proposal
An application to amend the Zoning By-law to permit a new mixed-use development comprising the retention and reuse of the existing heritage buildings and the addition of two residential buildings with overall heights of 12 and 14 storeys including a five-storey podium. A total of five ground floor commercial units and 369 residential dwellings, including 81 live/work units, are proposed. The development will provide 270 parking spaces.

You can view a copy of the Preliminary Report providing background information at: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-46664.pdf

To speak to the planner directly, contact Thomas Rees, at (416) 392-0758 or trees2@toronto.ca..

Courtesy of BlackTowerTV.

BiFaKIJCcAAZVg3.jpg:large

That's is awesome that they're restoring those brick commercial buildings. Such a cool little block of warehouses.

Yes, the Coffin Factory is very cool and it will be great to have that restored.

In the pic, those towers are not imposing at all. Looks decent so far.

p.s. I just have ONE concern about the area. We don't need to bring it up over and over again...but its kind of hard to ignore in mid-July :(

More pics (not very good, zoomed in with a camera phone).

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMG_2839.jpg
    IMG_2839.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 4,818
  • IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,262
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_2845.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,343
  • IMG_2847.jpg
    IMG_2847.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,250
  • IMG_2849.jpg
    IMG_2849.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,254
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,260
  • IMG_2859.jpg
    IMG_2859.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,227
This may be good news for the area:cool:

Downtown pig slaughterhouse on hold, residents breathe easier
Unclear whether Quality Meats closure is temporary or permanent

A pig slaughterhouse in operation for almost 100 years in downtown Toronto has for now ceased operations, a move causing temporary relief for nearby residents who have long complained about the abattoir's odour.

Quality Meat Packers — which employs 700 people — has applied for court protection from its creditors.

Located at Tecumseth and Niagara Streets since 1916, the plant processes more than 6,000 hogs on a typical operating day.

Once situated in an industrial area of the city, the plant is now at the heart of a booming downtown district that has undergone extensive condo development in recent years.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...se-on-hold-residents-breathe-easier-1.2609580

The location no longer makes sense for a slaughterhouse, but 700 jobs is a huge loss. These jobs are some of the last manufacturing jobs in the downtown core.

Check out the gritty industrial urban streetscape. That kind of streetscape is also among the last of its kind in the downtown core, even the entire old city of Toronto, though many areas were once like that--even the Distillery District. It seems like the kind of organic mixed-use industrial area that may never develop again thanks to zoning.

Back