My kids were born in the old hospital and like other, this is a joke now.

The precast panel really kill it. The landscaping is fine as well the entrance and the colour glazing.

I have yet to be inside and will have to do that next year.

The voting was fix for it to come in at #2 in the voting.

The old hospital's interior felt dank and insufficient for today's medicine. The facade had warmth and looked respectable despite the hodgepodge of additions over the years. This one is cold and ugly with its revival of lime green spandrel but, the photos of the interior come across as a massive upgrade. I'd give more weight to the inside than the outside for a hospital over some condo.

Brutal and not in a good way.

IMG_4244.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4244.JPG
    IMG_4244.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 469
Wondering how that happened- was it the natural colouring of the stone or that it stained?

I'm pretty sure that it's natural colouration, and that they simply put the pieces up wherever, ignoring the variations… which they could have either rejected if they wanted a smoother look, or which they could have sorted to create patterning on the exterior. Instead, they've ended up with thoughtless, stain-like blobs.

They should have rejected that stone in favour of a product with more subtle variations in colour. It looks like there's something wrong with it.

Blotchiness aside, the stone is still the best thing about this project. At least compared to the extensive seafoam spandrel, the lack of setbacks and generally looming massing, the graceless street level, the haphazard and particularly conspicuous vents on the discoloured, asymmetric mechanical levels... The list goes on.

The magenta glass on the southwest corner easily beats out the terrible stone application.

Some curtainwall with a shade of pink outweighs that hulking mass of messy stone and minty-fresh toothpaste-spandrel (ca. 2001)? I wish I saw the world through the same rose-coloured glasses. In my opinion, a project doesn’t get extra points because it has passable/acceptable glazing and certainly not when the rest of the project is in such a deficit of quality.

Last edited:
Not read in context. The magenta glass beats out the terrible stone application as the best thing about the building. I certainly does not make up for it though.

I took "beats out" to mean overrides/outweighs. It certainly is the part of the building that is most passable; I just have a hard time giving the designers credit for that.

Back