Sept 11:

QkDmz.jpg

2hPAd.jpg

Should there be a seperate thread for this?

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 1B2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 248319 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Sep 17, 2012

Project: Hospital Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing Women's College Hospital, 10 storeys in height with 1 storey below grade (36456m2). See related building permit 11-279729 BLD for proposed building.

Last edited:
Should there be a seperate thread for this?

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 1B2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 248319 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Sep 17, 2012

Project: Hospital Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing Women's College Hospital, 10 storeys in height with 1 storey below grade (36456m2). See related building permit 11-279729 BLD for proposed building.

Oh crap. I haven't been paying attention to this. Are you saying that they are even demolishing the original 1935 building? It's a fine bit of deco architecture - a listed heritage building and a national historic site. Sometimes I despair, really.

Oh crap. I haven't been paying attention to this. Are you saying that they are even demolishing the original 1935 building? It's a fine bit of deco architecture - a listed heritage building and a national historic site. Sometimes I despair, really.

This can't actually be possible. If so then I am thoroughly enraged. Doesn't the heritage designation protect it from demolition? Not to mention being a national historic site... The only reason I don't completely hate the new WCH is because it is sandwiched between 2 awesome structures of completely different styles. Picturing a condo or office or basically anything other than brick and stone there seems unpleasant

Looking south from Grosvernor down the alley between Burano and WCH.

Anyone noticed that the new building replicates the look of 800 Bay St.(south end of alley) build in 1950s and reno in 1980s ... just a coincidence probably / hopefully !

Not a fan of the view from the Bay street side. Hoping that the view from the western side is nicer when it is completed in a few years.

Yep the entire thing is coming down ... its clear from all the renderings.

Now while it looks like this is a downsizing I wonder if that's really the case, from the layout, and given the massive parking garage I'd wager we're talking roughly the same amount of square footage ... obviously the newer building will be a lot more efficient, in terms of floor space usage.

A park / above ground parking lot will replace most of the old building it seems, though the next phase will expand this building out to the west (on the north side of a the site) a little.

Someone hinted earlier the park will eventually be re-developed into a second phase.

The building looks like something you'd see in the old Soviet Union. Coarse and venal, it's more bunker or parking garage than healing center.
Compare it to, say, McMaster University's medical centre from 1972, and you'd think we'd been bombed back into the stone age. I can't believe they're planning to tear down the original building!

Last edited:

Back