The lobby is empty now and the moving was continuing when I walked by around 4:30. A sign on the front door (to the lobby) indicates that Pizza Pizza has relocated to their new offices as of August 24th.

I'm really curious when (or if) Great Gulf will launch this project given the current economic environment. Next spring perhaps? I can't see it launching until they have sold most of their units at X.

X Units

The lobby is empty now and the moving was continuing when I walked by around 4:30. A sign on the front door (to the lobby) indicates that Pizza Pizza has relocated to their new offices as of August 24th.

I'm really curious when (or if) Great Gulf will launch this project given the current economic environment. Next spring perhaps? I can't see it launching until they have sold most of their units at X.

Most the units at X are sold. At last check there are only about 9 units remaining, 7 of which were just released on the penthouse floor. However, as a buyer in X, I hope they never launch X2... I want to keep my SW view.

...I'm really curious when (or if) Great Gulf will launch this project given the current economic environment. Next spring perhaps? I can't see it launching until they have sold most of their units at X.

as someone else noted, most of X's units are sold.
however, since GG recently bought 1BE site, which project do you think will take priority;
and will GG bring in a partner for 1BE like they have here?

Below is what currently sits where the proposed "X2" site will stand

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

From Jarvis Street, the former Pizza Pizza head office (centre of photo) will be demolished:

Pizza Pizza HO from Charles Street (behind all those trees)

The two Victorians below are roughly where the "X2" tower will stand, there will be a setback where the Pizza Pizza HO currently sits

First Victorian west of the Pizza Pizza HO:

The furthest Victorian west of the Pizza Pizza HO (currently the X Sales Office):

Pizza Pizza HO & the two Victorians where the X2 site will stand (behind all those trees):

Site plan as viewed from the west, facing east with Couture on the left, X in the centre and proposed X2 (568-580 Jarvis) on the right. Google Sketchup model by wyliepoon:

X2_sketchup3_wyliepoon.jpg

Ack! Its the attack of the Toronto boxes!!

X is nice but come on, we don't need 2 other buildings with almost the exact same proportions 'boxing' it in. :mad:

Ack! Its the attack of the Toronto boxes!!

X is nice but come on, we don't need 2 other buildings with almost the exact same proportions 'boxing' it in. :mad:

Yes, I agree completely. I am disappointed Great Gulf are just building another tower facing X. So simple and un-inspired. Not to mention blocking the views of the people who bought from them in X!
Something lower, maybe 6-12 floors of fancy 2 story loft type condos, with nice townhouses on the bottom would have worked so much nicer in that space. Great Gulf could have been more imaginative with their development for the X2 site and built something smaller with higher end options and still reaped the same rewards. Shame really.

Sigh, a more creative X2 with lower elevation would've been good. Based on the renderings, the towers now feels quite crowded.

I always find it unfair for builders to screw over the phase I purchasers with well positioned phase II project (I'm sure the SW city view was a common sales pitch for phase I, which wonderfully can be reused now for phase II)

Sigh, a more creative X2 with lower elevation would've been good. Based on the renderings, the towers now feels quite crowded.

I always find it unfair for builders to screw over the phase I purchasers with well positioned phase II project (I'm sure the SW city view was a common sales pitch for phase I, which wonderfully can be reused now for phase II)

This is a city, look at New York. If you wanted a protected view move to the lake or in front of a park. The location of X is in the core of the city. Land is too valuable to only offer a 60 unit development when they have access to build a 400 unit building.

I do not think phase 2 is poorly placed. The street will look amazing with two black towers framing Charles. As for the South and West purchasers of X, you are not losing all your view, the building will be staggered.

It could be worse, you could get another developer with a poorly designed building DIRECTLY south completely blocking all of phase 1 South views. If anything GG is protecting the X1 investment. People who invested should be thankful for that.

This is a city, look at New York. If you wanted a protected view move to the lake or in front of a park. The location of X is in the core of the city. Land is too valuable to only offer a 60 unit development when they have access to build a 400 unit building.

I do not think phase 2 is poorly placed. The street will look amazing with two black towers framing Charles. As for the South and West purchasers of X, you are not losing all your view, the building will be staggered.

It could be worse, you could get another developer with a poorly designed building DIRECTLY south completely blocking all of phase 1 South views. If anything GG is protecting the X1 investment. People who invested should be thankful for that.

Fishes, I respect your opinion but I still disagree. The aim of development is not to put tall buildings everywhere. Any idiot architect can build tall glass boxes, I should know, I have 2 architects in the family that do nothing but put up tall glass buildings.
NYC has some of the most wonderful small and expensive buildings in the world. Ever walk around Tribeca or SoHo? You will see nothing but small buildings with large, very expensive, condos and lofts.
What I am saying is build 60 units, but do it in an upscale way so they could still make money off the project while improving architecture in Toronto. If done right they can charge 1000-1500/SF, people are paying that and more for the right design and amenities. GG could have inspired us here but failed... hopefully they will make up for it at 1 Bloor but I am not holding my breath.

Fishes, I respect your opinion but I still disagree. The aim of development is not to put tall buildings everywhere. Any idiot architect can build tall glass boxes, I should know, I have 2 architects in the family that do nothing but put up tall glass buildings.
NYC has some of the most wonderful small and expensive buildings in the world. Ever walk around Tribeca or SoHo? You will see nothing but small buildings with large, very expensive, condos and lofts.
What I am saying is build 60 units, but do it in an upscale way so they could still make money off the project while improving architecture in Toronto. If done right they can charge 1000-1500/SF, people are paying that and more for the right design and amenities. GG could have inspired us here but failed... hopefully they will make up for it at 1 Bloor but I am not holding my breath.

I beg to differ if I may. I think that vertical, high rise intensification is (or should be) the goal of a rapidly growing and successful city, where appropriate. Mid rise & low rise developments in areas more sensitive to it's surroundings. Charles & Jarvis isn't exactly SoHo or Tribeca. I'm honestly not knocking the area, it's OK for downtown east but the reality is this that this is a pretty noisy area with heavy, speeding traffic flying along Charles Street E. and across the street, flowing from Jarvis to Mt. Pleasant Rd. This property also sits next to a hydro transformer station. The immediate area doesn't offer a whole lot by way of nearby destinations. There's no way any unit could be sold here for anything approaching $1000/SF short of spacious, well designed PH suites atop the 44th floor of X2 which will truly have unobstructed east, south and west views for the foreseeable future given that the areas surrounding this project have all been developed.

Back