Chicago's Lake Point Tower ????

but wouldn't that just be a glass curtain wall version of the 3 point towers from the 1960/70s throughout TO and St. Jamestown that many here panned?

Have you even seen a photo of it? There's nothing like it in Toronto.

Chicago's Lake Point Tower sort of reminds me of Palace Place in Etobicoke ... same era of design?

Lake%20Point%20Tower%20Bart%20Shore%20250.jpg
W538983.JPG

Looks pretty similar to me, I've always thought of Palace Place as Toronto's equivalent to Chicago's Lake Point Tower.

^Ah, yes, the mentally retarded "skyline shaping" policy. I'm still ticked off at how 300 Front (a couple hundred metres from the CN Tower) was emasculated, using that policy as the reason.

Agreed, justs goes to show that the powers that be haven't a clue about what they are doing. Take city place's future Signature tower, 700+ footer with exactly what building up to it?

Last edited:
So where did all this X3 talk come from? Anything real to back it up? I find it hard to believe it would even happen and I don't think GG owns any more land in the area, besides 1 Bloor.

I think this is pure specutation and conjecture. It should be noted, however, that the sites to the west of both x1 and x2 have great development potential. Given the trend unfolding on Charles Street, its not such a stretch that another Great Gulf condo pops up. I would bet money that it would not be X3. That franchise has run its course.

I think this is pure specutation and conjecture. It should be noted, however, that the sites to the west of both x1 and x2 have great development potential. Given the trend unfolding on Charles Street, its not such a stretch that another Great Gulf condo pops up. I would bet money that it would not be X3. That franchise has run its course.

I do not think GG would build an X3 on that site.... It would not only completely block X1 west views but also X2 North views. They don't even own the land at this point. If they did buy the land, I could see a condo-towns development vs. a 40+ story condo. Although would it really be worth their effort considering all the other high-scale projects they have on the go?

I think X3 is very very doubtful.

Chicago's Lake Point Tower sort of reminds me of Palace Place in Etobicoke ... same era of design?

Lake%20Point%20Tower%20Bart%20Shore%20250.jpg
W538983.JPG

Lake Point is late 60s, Palace Pier is late 70s, Palace Place is early 90s. The *idea* of Lake Point probably informed Palace Pier, although the wraparound aesthetic characterizes Palace Place more--probably by default, because condo economics by then didn't allow for the "brutalist" concrete of Palace Pier...

GG currently does not own any additional land parcels in the immediate area.

AFAIK, X3 doesn't exist on paper ... bad, bad maestro

Agreed, justs goes to show that the powers that be haven't a clue about what they are doing. Take city place's future Signature tower, 700+ footer with exactly what building up to it?

Hopefully, someone knows better but, I don't think the Signature site was ever approved for 700+ feet. I'm pretty sure the original zoning for 150 something metres is still in place. They've also used up all the approved density on the surrounding towers. They will have to submit a new development application.

No. Ted Rogers Way is simply an honorary name applied to a block of Jarvis Street, which is not changing names.

Rogers

X1 and X2 will have a Charles Street entrance and address as well.

They better! If my new home ends up on "Ted Rogers Way" I am selling immediately. I am still bitter about the Skydome too! I am glad Ted Rogers died died before he renamed other landmarks in this city.

Hope you did not buy into Couture! See attached report.

www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-23930.pdf

Thanks Observer for the info. Thankfully I am in X, so it seems that my official address is going to be 110 Charles St. E.
This is a silly change though when you think about it. Ted Rogers Way will be a tiny one block stretch of road. South of Charles will remain as Jarvis. I can't imagine too many people using Ted Rogers Way to describe that little part of Jarvis.

Back