Not the greatest from the outside but I'm looking forward to the inside.

Since the inside of the new build will obviously match the new interior renos of the existing mall...there doesn't seem to be much to look forward to.

The place looks like a giant Mc Cafe.

Which reminds me of a bigger problem going on for Y&E. While it is densifying and maintaining it's popularity, the dumbing-down is very noticeable...especially in the retail environment...it used to have a more upscale feel to it.

If you look closely at the rendering vs as-built photo, it actually is extremely consistent thus far (minus the tower recladding).

Could the grey window wall/spandrel above the Pickle Barrel LED screen be a glimpse of what's to come on the tower ? :confused:

urbantoronto-3204-25968.jpg
[url]http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/yonge-eglinton-centre
[/URL]

attachment.php

Attachments

• urbantoronto-3204-25968.jpg
    urbantoronto-3204-25968.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 3,727
Given the inconsistent quality of the firms in question (P+S, Rio Can), I'm actually surprised at how well this has turned out.

If you look closely at the rendering vs as-built photo, it actually is extremely consistent thus far (minus the tower recladding). :

Yes and no, in the sense that the glass was depicted in the rendering as a light, almost ethereal material, and it is that quality that is lacking in the end product.

AoD

I'm still looking forward to the new square on top, but we'll see how the execute on that. I don't think its really that terrible, it looks better in person and on a nice day. Addmideltly it'll look out of place until the towers are redone, which may be never.

Well... I hope its practical uses surpasses it's aesthetic qualities.
edit:
Hmm... that little square was not a very good use of space to begin with. RioCan and crappy design and uses goes back generations it appears.

To be fair, Greenwin is the developer and RioCan didn't buy it until 2007, when the YEC had already undergone various unsympathetic alterations/renovations and additions. The original design had the square as part of a larger outdoor landscaping design...there was a large elevated outdoor area attached to it fronting Yonge where the Silvercity/Indigo is now. Greenwin with Bregman + Hamann weren't completely oblivious to design at the time. Riocan is just a mindless REIT that doesn't know or care about good design and it doesn't factor into their plans (which is obvious by looking at any of their properties)...it only cares about maximizing revenue.

I remember when YEC opened. As the whole complex was designed using concrete as the desired aesthetic, it was very much a product of its time (late 60's/early 70's). And in it's original form, had a cohesiveness that while not necessarily winning any design awards, was not considered unattractive either. It only looks bad now because of all the unsympathetic changes made to the original design and our feelings towards 70's "Concrete Toronto".

The real achievement of YEC was that it was a large scale mixed-use office/retail/residential complex, with direct indoor access to a subway station....and not located downtown. It was the suburban equivalent of the Manulife Centre (also opened in 1974). My mother lived around Eglinton-Mount Pleasant at the time and I remember her telling me she wanted to move there so she could go to work in the winter without going outside (she worked at Bay/Bloor).

Found some old photos of the inside for comparison here:
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Toronto/RioCan-Yonge-Eglinton-Centre/7706523.html

Personally I think it looks much better now.

None of those older pics are of the original interior....they are of later renovations (late 80's I think). I honestly can't remember how it looked when it first opened. I recall lots of chrome and plants. I do remember buying my pastel Pierre Cardin shirts at Big Steel Man in the early 80's though. ha

Which of the apartment buildings on that block are considered part of YEC? Is it just the one on the northeast corner, or is the Stalinesque tower on the northwest corner included as well?

Back