@tj pootertoot
Meh. Overly ambitious top-down planning which more than likely won’t come anywhere close to the expected employment, population, transit mode share numbers. Similar to other “centres†in the GTA. Funds are finite, we have numerous transportation infrastructure priorities, and light rail has been embraced worldwide for its cost-effectiveness in the RT department. Why build big to (more than likely) get medium? Oh right, to “prevent sprawl†(which has already been prevented with Greenbelt legislation); as well, to thwart the crazy notion of transferring between modes at Finch Stn (which isn’t really crazy at all, and would be thwarted regardless with interlined DRL-RH RER in place).

Although your statement is logically unsound, I’m not saying you’re wrong. Rather pointing out that John Q will be stuck with the very hefty bill for little other reason than to give a region some higher towers than they could’ve gotten with a realistic and affordable transit system in-line with their pre-existing auto-centric, low-density, suburban environment. And I guess to also have the region temporarily put off tackling realistic growth management strategies – strategies which tend to come about regardless.

This is the reason Toronto has a threadbare transit system.

Thank you for making this argument 44, because I would love to be making it here too if I had more than a few minutes per day to spend perusing UT.

There's a lot of optimism in the plans and renders that I've been seeing thrown around here and I have real serious doubts about how most of this massive development, supposedly housing tens of thousands of new jobs and residents, will pan out. Like 44 has stated quite a few times, this is no different whatsoever with the faulty logic that has led us to such "premium dense cores" as Scarborough or Etobicoke City Centres. To repeat the same process over and over again and expect a different result is the very definition of unsound reasoning.

Anyhow, the billions of dollars spent throwing a subway to a single "newly developed core" could far better be spent elsewhere in this cash-strapped region. I'd like to see a subway go to the already-proven dense downtown - the actual downtown, in the form of a DRL. Because besides a few piecemeal extensions here and there to ensure a better set of hubs for surface route connections, like BD to Cloverdale, or yes, Yonge to Steeles, the DRL is (in my opinion) the last heavy rail subway that should be built in the GTA for a long time, unless the face of this region changes in an extremely dramatic way. Subway is rapidly approaching a point where the benefits just can't justify the exorbitant cost anymore. This region needs to start embracing a proper S-Bahn style system of GO RER for travel to and from further-flung areas, with the associated lower costs and higher speeds. Any other expansion of rapid transit needs to find a less expensive and more suitable mode than subway - perhaps LRT, which we've as-to-yet never given a fair chance in Toronto (until Eglinton opens).

I don't honestly believe that there is benefit in spending billions of dollars to pour more riders from York Region down the already-full tube that is the Yonge Line (and by the way, all of the illustrious "ridership projections" and "requirements for subway capacity" have shown absolutely zero strategies for what the supposed tens of thousands of new riders on the Yonge Line are going to do when they enter a line already at capacity - there's a glaring, glaring problem staring us all right in the face that I'm seeing no solutions for). If Richmond Hill wants rapid transit to deal with its "new downtown core" - and we'll see how that turns out - then perhaps it should justify it first by upgrading the Yonge VIVA route to LRT and waiting until the traffic on that route approaches crush loads. Here's a hint: with anyone who is heading downtown from Richmond Hill taking RER as they should be, instead of piling on the TTC, it's not going to happen any time soon.

Oh, and if York Region starts to design plans for urban growth centres that can't be accomplished without subways from transit agencies that they don't own, operate, or pay for, then they need to get their priorities straight and find their own solutions, or else buy into GO RER a little more. Vaughan was enough.

Thank you TJ, that is exactly what I was looking for. With all the focus and discussion centered around the future transit hub at Yonge & Hw-7, I haven't seen much about the stretch between the highway and Steeles which would also be receiving transit access. I think context matters and the development here will compliment the development further north at the future hub on Hw-7.

Judging from the Markham PDF, it really appears as if Markham knows exactly what they are doing. I saw proposals for new street grid, traffic calming circles, pedestrian bridges over the rail line, designated retail areas, linear parks and other green spaces ideas, concepts for building highrise streetwalls on both Yonge and Steeles, concepts for midrise and lower midrise buildforms and more. I'd actually be as excited by this development, and the corresponding developments on the Vaughan and Toronto sides of Steeles as I would be of the transit hub at Yonge & Hw-7.

These two images helped conceptualize the area:

Markham:

gMqHKSd.png

Vaughan:

NtinIFO.png

(left side is Yonge corridor, right side Steeles)

edit: This post is funny after seeing MsNesbitt's post above. I do agree with her, but I think what can happen on the north side of Steeles is also very realistic and obtainable.

Last edited:
Thank you for making this argument 44, because I would love to be making it here too if I had more than a few minutes per day to spend perusing UT.

There's a lot of optimism in the plans and renders that I've been seeing thrown around here and I have real serious doubts about how most of this massive development, supposedly housing tens of thousands of new jobs and residents, will pan out. Like 44 has stated quite a few times, this is no different whatsoever with the faulty logic that has led us to such "premium dense cores" as Scarborough or Etobicoke City Centres. To repeat the same process over and over again and expect a different result is the very definition of unsound reasoning.

I don't honestly believe that there is benefit in spending billions of dollars to pour more riders from York Region down the already-full tube that is the Yonge Line (and by the way, all of the illustrious "ridership projections" and "requirements for subway capacity" have shown absolutely zero strategies for what the supposed tens of thousands of new riders on the Yonge Line are going to do when they enter a line already at capacity - there's a glaring, glaring problem staring us all right in the face that I'm seeing no solutions for). If Richmond Hill wants rapid transit to deal with its "new downtown core" - and we'll see how that turns out - then perhaps it should justify it first by upgrading the Yonge VIVA route to LRT and waiting until the traffic on that route approaches crush loads. Here's a hint: with anyone who is heading downtown from Richmond Hill taking RER as they should be, instead of piling on the TTC, it's not going to happen any time soon.

Oh, and if York Region starts to design plans for urban growth centres that can't be accomplished without subways from transit agencies that they don't own, operate, or pay for, then they need to get their priorities straight and find their own solutions, or else buy into GO RER a little more. Vaughan was enough.

So what we have is a fundamental disagreement. I think the region's future hinges on developing more sub-centres throughout the region and connecting them via a web of transit. (Because the nodes are not random points on a map but rather places where existing and planned high-order transit converge.) This is the current planning thinking (call it"Smart Growth," if you like) and, yes, it may not pan out but it's what everyone is trying to do. It also happens to be the law in Ontario and though not every centre will developed as planned, if you don't get more traction in places like Markham and Mississauga and even North York Centre, IMHO it's only a matter of time until the system overwhelms itself. I love going downtown but I have zero interest commuting there every day from York Region and would only be slightly more interested with an RER. I know others make this and longer commutes but if you fail to see that as a fundamental economic problem (i.e. making your transit goal nothing more than facilitating commutes to Union) you're missing the forest for the trees IMHO.

You want to keep developing the region's main centre which, by your own admission, is underserved by transit. So, rather than trying to give York Region centres of its own, you assume the logical thing is to give them more ways to travel an hour each way every day. That strikes me as self-evidently absurd, self-defeating and unsustainable but I understand it's a POV.

Oh, and your point about York Region hitching its plans to "another agency's" system is much more the problem with planning in the GTA than the factors my friend Northy lists. What the region needs is a system that reflects how people move around, in terms of both funding and operation. Such a system strikes me as an inevitability precisely because of this narrow thinking. I understand why the TTC's priority is Toronto but as long as it's hosting thousands and thousands of YR riders a day, it might be worth considering (at a macro level) what can be done to ensure riders (that is to say CUSTOMERS) are receiving the service they need and not be forced to pay double fares, transfer and otherwise be put out because everyone is protecting their old fiefdoms.

[You're wrong about the extension plan's failure to address the capacity issues, BTW. Toronto has already approved the subway subject to building the DRL first and renovating Yonge/Bloor station. ATO is already in the process of being installed as well.]

The goal is to change the paradigm that created a couple of generations of unsustainable sprawl but you seem to wave that all off, looking at the renders and saying, "Not gonna happen," and "that's their problem," (as opposed to OUR problem), doubling down on downtown as the only significant jobs centre, and facilitating more monolithic residential building in the suburbs. At worst, this strikes me as naive and dangerous and at best, a self-fulfilling prophecy. The surest way to undermine those fanciful renderings is to have a pissing contest over whose transit is bigger.

It's bit of a tangent but it's significant because what's REALLY holding the region back is narrow thinking and, more specifically, a lack of regionalism. Regional transit funding and operation, regional co-operation and governance; these are some of the things Metrolinx just starts to address. The alternative is this naive and counter-productive Toronto vs. its suburbs then 416 vs. 905 mentality that allows the Mike Harrises and Rob Fords of the world to survive. It's people like THAT who have given us a threadbare system, not the people who wrote Places to Grow, planned Langstaff Gateway (even with another agency's subway, oh dear!!) and devised Metrolinx. That's my 10-cents.

Last edited:
@tj pootertoot
Meh. Overly ambitious top-down planning which more than likely won’t come anywhere close to the expected employment, population, transit mode share numbers. Similar to other “centres†in the GTA. Funds are finite, we have numerous transportation infrastructure priorities, and light rail has been embraced worldwide for its cost-effectiveness in the RT department. Why build big to (more than likely) get medium? Oh right, to “prevent sprawl†(which has already been prevented with Greenbelt legislation); as well, to thwart the crazy notion of transferring between modes at Finch Stn (which isn’t really crazy at all, and would be thwarted regardless with interlined DRL-RH RER in place)...

With regards to LRT, it's true it hasn't really been pushed on this project and I'll run at it from a different light. This entire extension is being considered as ONE extension from Finch to Highway 7. I wouldn't want an LRT going from 7 to Finch, I don't know why, psychologically I just wouldn't want the government to spend the $$ on LRT if it's not really going to add that increased land-value and improved trip-time. The people that this line is focusing on are people who are coming from along the corridor, or from somewhere east/ west via bus. NOBODY wants to transfer to an LRT line to take it 2 stops then transfer to the Subway again. Theoretically the distance one would have to take the LRT to the subway might possibly negate the time savings when you factor in the two transfers. Will the LRT run at 10 minute frequencies (average of 5 minute wait time)? And then you'd have the subway transfer time of 4 minutes (average of 2 minute wait time). The issue with the LRT proposal is that you're trying to make a back-bone out of something different just for the sake of it. It's already known that it'll be years before whe even start thinking of LRT north of hwy 7 on Yonge or anywhere along Hwy 7. Why would the Region build an LRT just for this small stretch between 7 and Finch? That's NOT a back-bone for ANY system, you're actually fragmenting the VIVA Blue and forcing a transfer on all people and forcing a double transfer for the thousands looking to use the subway at Steeles or Finch. These are the very same reasons why people are so adamant about extending the Bloor line to STC, simply to get rid of that disjointed SRT jog.

Whether you agree that subway should go here is your prerogative, but it's really a matter of either BRT or Subway in this particular case due to these facts. And it's because of this that LRT isn't discussed with regards to this project. It's a special case where, even though ridership may make sense for LRT, in terms of connectivity and flexibility of the system it wouldn't. IMO ofcourse

psychologically I just wouldn't want the government to spend the $$ on LRT if it's not really going to add that increased land-value and improved trip-time.

Fair enough. But why wouldn’t light RT substantially increase land value just as a subway would? YRT could simply brand the light RT line as a “subway” or “metro”, and YR could zone the same as they would if it were an extension of Y/US. Surely meaningless semantics would have little effect on land values and upzoning attempts?

NOBODY wants to transfer to an LRT line to take it 2 stops then transfer to the Subway again. Theoretically the distance one would have to take the LRT to the subway might possibly negate the time savings when you factor in the two transfers.

Some riders would make that transfer at Finch Stn from an LRT to subway; others would transfer to RH RER (particularly one interlined with a DRL, which hasn’t been looked at). Others would transfer to a 407 Transitway. A switch between modes will happen regardless of whether the subway is extended. And a mode above BRT and below Subway is an inevitability for a growing suburban metropolis.

Will the LRT run at 10 minute frequencies (average of 5 minute wait time)? And then you'd have the subway transfer time of 4 minutes (average of 2 minute wait time)

More reason for long-haul commuters to use improved and faster commuter rail, and not a local-service mass transit system. Are people aware of the similarities in services that would be offered by an improved/rerouted RH RER line? Once the next Relief Line study comes out, I think the findings will be just as transferable to the issue of serving RHC with higher order transit other than a subway ext.

It's already known that it'll be years before whe even start thinking of LRT north of hwy 7 on Yonge or anywhere along Hwy 7. Why would the Region build an LRT just for this small stretch between 7 and Finch?

To have an initial trunk system in place offering the potential for connections to future LRT projects north of 7. Or along a potential 407 Transitway using LRT. Why continually extend a subway line just to delay YR’s inevitable building of a railed transit system of their own (one more practical, adaptable, affordable, and realistic to their municipalities’ environs)? Why relegate other YR corridors to lower-grade buses or BRT? $4bn or $500M/km is a lot of money, and YR residents (and Ontarians and Canadians) would be wise to question this. For the same cost of the subway extension, YR could build enough transit infrastructure to be a leader in sustainability and transit-oriented development.

That's NOT a back-bone for ANY system, you're actually fragmenting the VIVA Blue and forcing a transfer on all people and forcing a double transfer for the thousands looking to use the subway at Steeles or Finch. These are the very same reasons why people are so adamant about extending the Bloor line to STC, simply to get rid of that disjointed SRT jog.

Many cities use light RT as the “backbone” of their system; particularly smaller, newer, auto-centric cities with a large area to cover and with low-intermediate population density. As for VIVA (or any bus routes); the flexibility of bus as a mode is that it can easily be adjusted over time.
Re: the SRT. That decision was made +30 years ago (using many of the arguments made on this thread over the last few days). And it didn’t return for debate because of a transfer or disjointed jog.

but it's really a matter of either BRT or Subway in this particular case due to these facts. And it's because of this that LRT isn't discussed with regards to this project.

Light rail + improved/rerouted RER seems to resolve almost all of the minor issues you brought up. And these “facts” haven’t really answered much; I’m still confounded as to why the options for YR’s Yonge corridor have completely excluded light RT. Then again, a quick glance at our sparse current and future subway map reminds me that planning is a bit backwards in TO. A subway to VMC stands as a testament that the dysfunction and misallocation of scarce capital is still going strong. No one needs to reply to this post, this was more of rant/personal opinion on the matter. I'm very much supportive of grade-separated rapid transit, which is why I oftentimes question the logic behind going with the most expensive option (which can come at the expense of other RT projects or future extensions).

I read quite a number of sweeping statements and numerous forms of false logic concerning Light rapid transit and the Yonge corridor. Let’s make some statements that many can agree on:

-Light RT + RER does not have to mean slower transit and longer travel times.
-Zoning RHC as slightly lesser density does not mean we’ll see more sprawl or monster homes.
-Development is not contingent on the costliest transit technology.
-Transferring between trains does not reinforce ‘us vs them’ mentality.
-Although we have laws saying where we can’t build, we have no laws saying where we must build

Last edited:
Fair enough. But why wouldn’t light RT substantially increase land value just as a subway would? YRT could simply brand the light RT line as a “subway” or “metro”, and YR could zone the same as they would if it were an extension of Y/US. Surely meaningless semantics would have little effect on land values and upzoning attempts?

Lordy, you're really making this up as you go along. First you say an LRT objectively makes way more sense than a subway and then you suggest that it's just SEMANTICS as far as development is concerned? As you can see, graphically, right above the zoning is ALREADY IN PLACE for a subway-level of development. Where do you get that a developer can't tell the difference between the density he can get with an LRT vs. a subway? Were you paying ZERO attention during the four years of Rob Ford because I don't know how else you could suggest that anyone would buy the difference between the two modes can be reduced to SEMANTICS. It's unfortunate that man poisoned the well on a form of RT that is most certainly needed various places in Toronto and the GTA but if nothing else he proved that no one buys (and certainly not developers and municipalities!!) there is no difference between the two.

I assure you, when they are zoning and planning, and when developers submit applications, they most certainly know the difference between the two no matter what "branding" is used. And the final word goes to the OMB and they look at the Growth Plan and they look at the zoning and they make a decision. The word "semantics" isn't even in their vocabulary. This equivocating may be the weakest link in your already weak chain.

And BMO gives a fine summary of why a 3-km LRT makes no sense but you just dismiss it. If Viva was an LRT, from Finch up to Newmarket, that would be different. But we are only talking about from Finch to 7 which means it's not a backbone; it's a band-aid. That's what he was saying.

And, as I already explained to you, multiple times, the direct correlation between subway capacity and density here. LRT makes sense in many places; not here. But here's the real problem:
Scroll up and look at the title of this thread. Let it sink in.
It's not "York Region Rapid Transit Possibilities." It is a SUBWAY. It is ALREADY PLANNED. People on this thread keep debating all these fine points and coming up with wonderful "What if" scenarios. I don't care if you think LRT is better or if you have a better plan than Eisenhower for invading Europe or if you've figured out the best way to get caramel inside a Caramilk bar. Either way, you're too late.

Everyone here has an idea about something that would be better as if there isn't an EA on file with a preferred alignment and station locations etc. etc.
IT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED. That part of it is done. The subway is in the province's plans, the region's plans and even the city's plans. It is PLANNED because when you are planning, that's what you do.

You like talking about factors explaining our "threadbare" transit system. I'll tell you that "coming up with a plan and then either changing or scrapping it before it's implemented" is in my Top 3.

Some riders would make that transfer at Finch Stn from an LRT to subway; others would transfer to RH RER (particularly one interlined with a DRL, which hasn’t been looked at). Others would transfer to a 407 Transitway. A switch between modes will happen regardless of whether the subway is extended. And a mode above BRT and below Subway is an inevitability for a growing suburban metropolis.

Now you're making up a transit system that doesn't exist to accommodate your theories. You're right no one has looked at an interlined DRL. You would also be right if you pointed out that the RH line one of the furthest down the list for electrification. So how is that a superior alternative to a project with a complete EA and updated zoning already in place?!

More reason for long-haul commuters to use improved and faster commuter rail, and not a local-service mass transit system. Are people aware of the similarities in services that would be offered by an improved/rerouted RH RER line? Once the next Relief Line study comes out, I think the findings will be just as transferable to the issue of serving RHC with higher order transit other than a subway ext.

You are apparently and obviously unaware but Metrolinx is doing a system/region-wide relief study that supersedes (but dovetails with) the DRL study. I'm done with posting links to relevant topics you don't know about, however. That study will address all these things whereas the DRL study is likely to have a narrow, Toronto-centric approach. Anyway, you keep missing the fundamental point which is that all this planning is aimed at REDUCING the number of long-haul commuters by creating situations (through better transit connections and more mixed-use development) that REDUCE how far people have to travel to work.

If all you can wrap your head around is how many ways we can come up with to keep sending people to the CBD, you're missing the raison d'etre of the entire planning regime, to say nothing of the planned transit network.

To have an initial trunk system in place offering the potential for connections to future LRT projects north of 7. Or along a potential 407 Transitway using LRT. Why continually extend a subway line just to delay YR’s inevitable building of a railed transit system of their own (one more practical, adaptable, affordable, and realistic to their municipalities’ environs)?

I don't know if I can think of anything LESS inevitable than YR devising its own railed transit system. Again, I am left wondering if you have seen YR's official plan, or Toronto's or Markham's or a little Metrolinx document called The Big Move. Because NONE OF THEM account for a YR rail system any more than they account for an interlined DRL any more than they account for Star Trek-style transporters. Why do you refuse to engage with the ACTUAL transit system and ACTUAL plans?

You're "confounded" about why LRT was dismissed because you refuse to understand the planning and political processes that have taken place prior to now. You refuse to understand what I've explained about how Langstaff Gateway was planned and you refuse to understand the history of the corridor. Again, I point you to the title of the thread. The SUBWAY is PLANNED; past tense.

Sincerely, you mystify me. Confound me, to use your word. I wish I could accede to your wishes to not reply - I really do. It's a compulsion at this point.

Last edited:
Do you realize there’s a world of LRT options outside of running the thing in the centre of the roadway? I never once mentioned a Transit City-type mode. I’ve always been specific about grade-separate RT, using light rail. Just as Eglinton is, just as the SRT was planned to be, and just as other cities do. AKA a subway/metro/rapid transit system. There is a clear difference between in-median and light ‘rapid transit’ Clearly semantics and the meaning of words is more important than you claim, as this situation shows.

Finch to 7 is a backbone, just as Union to Eglinton once was. Clearly my opinion differs from yours. IMO $4bn is a lot of money (many share this sentiment btw), Finch to 7 is a significant distance, and a subway extension sets a faulty precedent. In twenty years, when RHC turns into a subpar “centre” just like all the other centres, the debate will be about sending the subway to Major Mack for yet another centre.

You seem to have this idea that the Big Move is written in stone, and that plans never changed. You’re questioning me if I’ve paid attn during the last four years? Surely you’d know by now that plans very much change, as do priorities. And perhaps RH is at the bottom of the list for electrification or RER; but when the Relief study gets further along it could very well be bumped to the top (particularly if interlined with the DRL). What does that do to the all the calculations in the Yonge North study that you seem to think are also written in stone? Basically destroys them. Plans change, municipalities settle for less, and developers move on. Whether something is “planned” with “actual plans” is almost meaningless until well after shovels hit the ground. And even then I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Anyway, you keep missing the fundamental point which is that all this planning is aimed at REDUCING the number of long-haul commuters by creating situations (through better transit connections and more mixed-use development) that REDUCE how far people have to travel to work.

Oh c’mon. Not this. You do realize there’s ample evidence for this region that shows this doesn’t often happen? CBDs, downtowns, and jobs aren’t that easy to create and locate (see NYCC, ECC, STC, and soon VMC). Highrise bedroom communities, no office buildings, vertical subdivisions of the suburban variety, and barren sidewalks does not equal a downtown. I’ve looked at many fantastical renderings and models of similar “centres” just like the ones of RHC...majority of the time they turn out to look nothing like was expected, with results nothing like was claimed. In the end, the reasoning for the significant public expenditure, for the costliest form of infrastructure, turns out to be flawed. More often than not it seems. Although this is my opinion (which I've repeatedly stated), I still firmly believe light RT would've been the right mode. Costs are realistic enough to be borne locally, and the bloody thing would be up and running by now.

Last edited:
Surely you agree with my last point? Rather than dillydallying, waiting around for Relief studies, relying on a broke Prov, a dysfunctional Toronto City Council, the TTC, and making developers antsy – a rapid transit line predominantly organized and funded by York Region and under the guise of YRT could very much be under construction by now. Sure there’d be a jurisdictional issue re: the Toronto section between Finch and Steeles...but that’s not a reason to write-off a project. When was the last time the Libs mentioned Yonge North in any announcement? I don’t recall any in quite some time. The PCs most definitely did, but that didn’t help the project much.

By making the decision that this transit project MUST be built to heavy rail specs and as part of another municipality’s transit system, YR basically shot themselves in the foot. Had YR been open to other modes in line with their minimal taxbase, suburban environ, and not reliant on a subway line with notorious capacity issues – it’d be without a question that the project would be well under way by now. Sacrifice slightly lower density in RHC for reliable timeframes and happy investors. Win-win. But I guess this opinionated pragmatism is too zany and far-fetched.

Surely you agree with my last point? Rather than dillydallying, waiting around for Relief studies, relying on a broke Prov, a dysfunctional Toronto City Council, the TTC, and making developers antsy – a rapid transit line predominantly organized and funded by York Region and under the guise of YRT could very much be under construction by now. Sure there’d be a jurisdictional issue re: the Toronto section between Finch and Steeles...but that’s not a reason to write-off a project. When was the last time the Libs mentioned Yonge North in any announcement? I don’t recall any in quite some time. The PCs most definitely did, but that didn’t help the project much.

By making the decision that this transit project MUST be built to heavy rail specs and as part of another municipality’s transit system, YR basically shot themselves in the foot. Had YR been open to other modes in line with their minimal taxbase, suburban environ, and not reliant on a subway line with notorious capacity issues – it’d be without a question that the project would be well under way by now. Sacrifice slightly lower density in RHC for reliable timeframes and happy investors. Win-win. But I guess this opinionated pragmatism is too zany and far-fetched.

I'm too worn out and you're too ill informed to really keep going. And when I do provide new information of which you were previously unaware, it doesn't sway you at all.

You DON'T UNDERSTAND how it happened.

I'm not going to comment on the other problems with your argument but since you asked this one question so nicely: No, I don't agree.

What happened was this: Viva was supposed to go from Steeles all the way up north on Yonge, and along 7; BRT. TTC was going to build its own busway to go from Finch to Steeles, and Bob's your uncle. The system, as you perhaps know, is designed for a future upgrade to LRT. So, in this sense they very much planned with the money they had (through the province), an upgradable, future-LRT system.

Literally like 2 days before YR council was voting to approve the expropriations McGuinty announced his $11B or whatever it was "move2020" plan for transit, expecting (or at least hoping) the feds would chip in another $6B. (This, FYI, included the $8B that went to Toronto for Transit City, much of which is still unspent.) That never happened. But the Yonge extension, much to the surprise of YR, actually, was near the top of his priority list. Instead of tearing up the road and moving ahead with BRT, YR did the pragmatic thing: they halted the BRT progress south of Highway 7 and moved to do an EA for the subway. Now that EA is done and, obviously, the money has yet to materialize and so they are, very unfortunately, left in limbo by the vagaries of politics and the lack of appetite for revenue tools. And, FWIW, Metrolinx subsequently backed-up that a subway could be justified based on ridership as it was already well into LRT territory and the projected growth pushed it into the subway threshold.

So, to go back to what you said, there was NEVER a point where "YR decided it MUST be built to heavy-rail specs." They always acted with the resources and plans they were given (or thought they had). You're just coming late to the party and making ill-informed assumptions.

But the plan is now there so it's also clear why there is no appetite to just revert to the BRT plan (i.e. tear up the road for a relatively short-term fix) and no one, aside from people on this board, has suggested an LRT as a "local" solution. The busway was always going to be a joint project anyway and, IMHO, it's certainly clear that a Steeles-7 LRT is pointless; any solution has to seamlessly connect Finch and 7 at this point. In theory TTC might be interested in helping along an LRT all the way to Finch but in theory Communism works. Practically, the practical move is to figure out the subway at this point. (You keep talking as if they pulled this costly, heavy-rail solution out of thin air. this ignores that the subway ALREADY EXISTS right on their doorstep and their buses travel into Toronto to get to the terminal. Ergo, we are talking about a short extension, not a new subway.)

As for the last time it was mentioned. All 3 party candidates were pro-subway in the recent election and the project remains one of the top 5 (I think it's 5) on Metrolinx's list. (I hate political transit $ vote-buying but, if we're being honest, it's also a prime riding for Stephen Harper to decide to spread a few bucks around in as well. And it's an election year? Even better!) When the new round of Wynne money comes down, there will be a lot of political jockeying but it will be in mix, most certainly.

So, your "opinionated pragmatism," isn't far fetched, but it is based on erroneous assumptions and an a less-than-complete grasp of the planning context and political history. For me, your equivocation about spinning the "Semantics" of LRT vs. subway sealed the deal in terms of demonstrating a lack of knowledge about the planning process and the stakes involved.

Last edited:
Edward stated that they should both build the subway extension to Highway 7 AND the Richmond Hill extension.

I don't understand what the difference between the subway extension to Highway 7 and the Richmond Hill extension are. Perhaps I'm misssing something ...

I meant that both projects should be built at the same time. Yonge to 7 and the DRL from downtown to at least Danforth. That way the extension to Richmond Hill will open around the same time as the DRL and won't overburden the Yonge line.

I meant that both projects should be built at the same time. Yonge to 7 and the DRL from downtown to at least Danforth. That way the extension to Richmond Hill will open around the same time as the DRL and won't overburden the Yonge line.
They should both be built, though the DRL will likely take longer, given the complexities, and being a couple of years behind in the planning stage. So DRL should start first. City and TTC has made it clear that Yonge extension won't happen without DRL. And they've also made it clear that DRL is going to be delayed due to SmartTrack. I expect we are looking at 15 years from now at this point - 2030? Richmond Hill and York Region need to kick some butts ...

Actually I believe that it is the DRL not going to happen without Yonge North Extension. Politicians used Yonge North extension to push DRL, glad they did make some progresses.

My two cents on the DRL, which I've probably offered before:

-It's ironic that the main reason the DRL is on the table (if not the only reason) is because the Yonge extension was looking like a real thing and it put the spotlight on the very real capacity issues downstream
-Obviously the planning on Yonge is much further ahead. I do not think Yonge should proceed without the DRL proceeding but I also do not think it should have to wait for the DRL to start construction, much less open
-This is because, on opening day, there will not be a massive spike in ridership. The main immediate effect will be a lot less people driving down to Finch Station and a lot less buses on the road; both good things.
-At the same time it will allow the development discussed ad infinitum above to start proceeding. I suspect a few more towers on Yonge would open during construction (or at least start construction) and the first few units in Langstaff and RHC would go forward but, again, not enough to exacerbate capacity issues.
-Correspondingly, I suspect that (as with Spadina) something like 1/2 the trains will short-turn south at Steeles when the stations first open
-Between now and then Spadina will open and the ATO system will be implemented and (one hopes) improvements to Yonge/Bloor station as well. That should all be enough to "hold the fort" on capacity until the DRL comes online.
-I would hope the DRL proceeds about 2-3 years behind Yonge though even 5 wouldn't be the end of the world. I think waiting the 10+ years for DRL to become reality to move forward with Yonge (obviously) is a mistake given where the work and planning are at.

Back