I don't think York U. wanted to be a terminus.

Saying Steeles is a natural terminus for the Yonge line shows absolutely zero knowledge of the Yonge + Steeles area.

It is for the subway, not ALL mode of transit.

At least with any TYYSE contract, the Toronto public can preemptively demand of their leaders that York provide an operating cost share, unlike what happened with TYSSE.

yo i think a subway extension to rhc anytime in the near future would be a huge waste of capital if we plan on turning GO richmond hill into a frequent RER line, it would only add more ppl to the already overcrowded line. RER would suffice for the area, it would get to destinations faster and it wouldn't cost billions. I would extend line 1 to Steeles for sure but not anytime soon, just because so many ttc and yrt buses use yonge from finch to steeles and the extension would make the subway easier to access (same reason i think we should be looking to extend line 2 to cloverdale). A rapidway would be fine for the rest of yonge. Now if we don't plan on upgrading Richmond Hill GO to RER, then it makes sense to start planning this extension to rhc, but for sure it should take a back seat to the relief line and a lot of other proposed transit projects in the GTA. this project isn't a priority at all i live in mississauga and i hate it when ppl here say that we should be getting a subway asap, they need to realize that there are 1000 other priorities and a subway so deep into the suburbs or to an undeveloped urban centre won't be needed for decades.

yo i think a subway extension to rhc anytime in the near future would be a huge waste of capital if we plan on turning GO richmond hill into a frequent RER line, it would only add more ppl to the already overcrowded line. RER would suffice for the area, it would get to destinations faster and it wouldn't cost billions. I would extend line 1 to Steeles for sure but not anytime soon, just because so many ttc and yrt buses use yonge from finch to steeles and the extension would make the subway easier to access (same reason i think we should be looking to extend line 2 to cloverdale). A rapidway would be fine for the rest of yonge. Now if we don't plan on upgrading Richmond Hill GO to RER, then it makes sense to start planning this extension to rhc, but for sure it should take a back seat to the relief line and a lot of other proposed transit projects in the GTA. this project isn't a priority at all i live in mississauga and i hate it when ppl here say that we should be getting a subway asap, they need to realize that there are 1000 other priorities and a subway so deep into the suburbs or to an undeveloped urban centre won't be needed for decades.

The RH GO line will not become part of RER. At most it will get a few more trains during rush hour only. It wont have any off-peak trains as there is limited room to expand this line from one track.

The subway extension is really only needed to Steeles. Beyond Steeles, there is dubious value going further north. However, the work has already been done to do the design up to Highway 7. It does offer connectivity to Viva on Highway 7. Is it a priority? No. The absolute priority is to provide relief to the Yonge line. Already as it is, a trip from Finch to Union is around 40-45 mins during rush hour (closer to 1hr if any delay). Extension to RHC would be convenient for the frequent service for sure, but the trip on the train from RHC to Union would be almost 1 hour. That's a long time to be sitting on the subway.

It connects to Viva, yes , and the planned Transitway and to a dual-municipality growth centre and Anchor Mobility Hub. But I can understand that providing the actual planning context undermines your argument and makes it seem like less of a (personal, as opposed to policy) priority, so best to ignore it and throw out the word "dubious" as if it's true.

But you're right about why RER won't work or be adequate.

The subway trip to Union will take less than an hour and, shockingly, not everyone is going to Union anyway.

Still, I expect both these "arguments" to resurface again and again, as they always have, despite their mutually exclusive lack of merit.

Richmond Hill Line's ridership is atrocious, even with it's exceedingly expensive upgrades to make it electrified.

I would use the RH-GO corridor to extend the DRL to Richmond Hill on the cheap, and scrap the service.

Richmond Hill Line's ridership is atrocious, even with it's exceedingly expensive upgrades to make it electrified.

I would use the RH-GO corridor to extend the DRL to Richmond Hill on the cheap, and scrap the service.
Why should the DRL go west from Don Mills/Leslie to Yonge? Wouldn't a true Relief Line go east to somewhere like Leslie/Highway 7 or Woodbine/Highway 7? This is assuming the YNSE gets to RHC. It makes no sense to have a "Relief Line" relief buses down Yonge and not a subway down Yonge.

It connects to Viva, yes , and the planned Transitway and to a dual-municipality growth centre and Anchor Mobility Hub. But I can understand that providing the actual planning context undermines your argument and makes it seem like less of a (personal, as opposed to policy) priority, so best to ignore it and throw out the word "dubious" as if it's true.

But you're right about why RER won't work or be adequate.

The subway trip to Union will take less than an hour and, shockingly, not everyone is going to Union anyway.

Still, I expect both these "arguments" to resurface again and again, as they always have, despite their mutually exclusive lack of merit.

It's the same argument that is made against the Scarborough extension. Yes there will be good ridership at Yonge/Hwy7 (RHC) (much like at SCC), but between Steeles and RHC, the ridership will be very low, so we could do what we are doing in Scarborough and make the subway go express from Steeles to RHC, since Clark, and Longbridge stations will have very low ridership. Is it a priority for Toronto to support York Region's development plans? I don't think it is. Yes it's my personal opinion of course. The city should focus on getting the Relief line built first. The extension to Steeles will be a big help to Toronto/TTC as there is a lot of bus traffic between Steeles and Finch and demand there today justifies a subway station, plus it can give TTC some savings by being able to reduce the number of buses required on the Steeles route (or use it to improve service). Of course you are right that not everyone goes to Union, but you would be surprised at how many people stay on at least Bloor, because frankly, there aren't that many jobs at the other nodes like NYCC/Sheppard, or Eglinton or St. Clair. Most of the destinations of passengers are Bloor or south of Bloor. The RHC GO line should get more improve service and see if it generates more ridership. Maybe once RHC starts to develop more beyond just a few condos and big box stores we can justify a subway there.

I use the word dubious because I don't think we should be extending our subway lines out into the 905 area on principle. The subway should be a medium-distance rapid transit service. Right now it functions more like a regional line, and that is causing congestion on the line as people go from Finch all the way downtown. Toronto doesn't have enough subway coverage over the dense areas of the city. Beyond the city limits, other forms of transit like GO RER and LRT or BRT are more than sufficient for the demand. We can't keep extending our subway lines further and further out. It makes zero financial sense to spend billions of dollars digging through low density suburbs when are there are cheaper alternatives available.

The political winds of change are coming so we will likely see RHC funded to win 905 votes, where as the RL will be stalled indefinitely. This is the Toronto way and history will continue to repeat itself here.

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 3.21.54 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 3.21.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 3.21.54 PM.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 297
And plus the RH line is unnecessarily too squigly so to make it better it would have to be tunneled under Rosedale and Bridle Path to go in a straighter line.

Back