Biking to transit is a good thing! I bike to Finch Station when I can, for example.
But having to bike to transit, even though there's a bus that could connect you more directly but would cost twice as much, is counter-productive. You can tell the system isn't designed to accommodate the reality because most intersections don't have bike racks.

Biking to transit is a good thing! I bike to Finch Station when I can, for example.
But having to bike to transit, even though there's a bus that could connect you more directly but would cost twice as much, is counter-productive. You can tell the system isn't designed to accommodate the reality because most intersections don't have bike racks.
YRT doesn't even have bike racks at rapidway stations.

Steve Munro has reviewed the latest IO report.

Richmond Hill Subway Extension
The Ontario government recently signed an agreement with York Region for the extension of the Yonge line from Finch to Richmond Hill. The status of this project is unchanged with an RFQ to be issued in Fall 2021, an RFP in Spring 2022 and financial close in Fall 2023.

Look out............Metrolinx is up to hi-jinx. They're apparently considering alternative alignments for this extension at the closed section of Toronto's Board Mtg.

They are looking at one that would run above ground starting at some point north of Steeles and use the CN Bala alignment. Apparently jumping east, somewhere around Kirk Drive.

That's just south of Holy Cross Cemetery.

Also being considered, smaller stations and the Steeles Bus terminal being above ground.

Look out............Metrolinx is up to hi-jinx. They're apparently considering alternative alignments for this extension at the closed section of Toronto's Board Mtg.

They are looking at one that would run above ground starting at some point north of Steeles and use the CN Bala alignment. Apparently jumping east, somewhere around Kirk Drive.

Also being considered, smaller stations and the Steeles Bus terminal being above ground.

What's there to change about this line? Something to watch soon but not sure it'll be good.

Last edited:

I'm really confused about where they're going to fit this in. This isn't like Eglinton West where you have a corridor filled with nothing, there are tons of suburban neighborhoods and even a golf club in the way. They mention using the CN corridor, but unless there's something that I'm missing, the only corridor that fits the bill would be this:
1593046508720.png

Which seems like a massive detour that will make trips longer without serving the areas that matter, when the entire point of the extension I thought was to provide a rapid connection between York Region and North York to relieve the massive amount of busses that are found on Yonge there.

I'm really confused about where they're going to fit this in. This isn't like Eglinton West where you have a corridor filled with nothing, there are tons of suburban neighborhoods and even a golf club in the way. They mention using the CN corridor, but unless there's something that I'm missing, the only corridor that fits the bill would be this: View attachment 253876
Which seems like a massive detour that will make trips longer without serving the areas that matter, when the entire point of the extension I thought was to provide a rapid connection between York Region and North York to relieve the massive amount of busses that are found on Yonge there.

The detour will cost no more than 5 min of travel time each way. Maybe less than that, dependent on the number of stations. And, a lot of buses can still be rerouted and shortened. Frequent VIVA buses from the north would terminate at RHC, leaving just some of the local YRT buses like #99, 2, 5, 77 on Yonge south of RHC. Very frequent TTC Steeles West and East buses would terminate at the Steeles station, and not run on Yonge at all.

Or, they can select a less dramatic detour. Under Yonge till Clark, with a station there. Then, veer the tunnel north-east, then emerge in the Bala sub corridor just north of Royal Orchard Blvd, and reach RHC on surface. That saves about 1 km of tunneling, at the price of losing the Longbridge Rd station (just south of the 407).

Having the Steeles Bus terminal above ground makes perfect sense. The south-west corner of Yonge & Steeles hosts a large parking lot, that was underused even in pre-Covid times. Why dig a terminal when a surface location is readily available.

The detour .. depends on the details, but at least it is worth considering.

My understanding from the article, not having seen the actual proposal is something more like this:

View attachment 253882

This was actually my first impression from the article but tbh that seems kinda... short? The length of Kirk Dr between Yonge and the rail corridor is ~ 950m (which is going to have to be tunneled), which is the exact same length as from Yonge&Kirk to the northern offramp from the 407. At that point you might as well just tunnel the whole thing.

This was actually my first impression from the article but tbh that seems kinda... short? The length of Kirk Dr between Yonge and the rail corridor is ~ 950m (which is going to have to be tunneled), which is the exact same length as from Yonge&Kirk to the northern offramp from the 407. At that point you might as well just tunnel the whole thing.

It would not be under Yonge all the way to Kirk, and then turning 90 degrees and running under Kirk. They would tilt east gently, starting soon after Clark and running diagonally to reach the rail corridor.

Having the Steeles Bus terminal above ground makes perfect sense. The south-west corner of Yonge & Steeles hosts a large parking lot, that was underused even in pre-Covid times. Why dig a terminal when a surface location is readily available.

The detour .. depends on the details, but at least it is worth considering.

The Southwest corner is a giant parking lot for a decently sized mall, and in order to use it Metrolinx/Toronto are going to have to make fairly large land deals with Centrepoint.

The headline is too sensational. The distance from Kirk Dr to Langastaff GO is less then a kilometer, and the line would run parallel to the Richmond Hill GO line. No big deal at all.

The Southwest corner is a giant parking lot for a decently sized mall, and in order to use it Metrolinx/Toronto are going to have to make fairly large land deals with Centrepoint.

Yeah, but I suspect it would be a tiny fraction of the cost of digging a large hole in the ground and filling it with concrete and construction steel.

Back