Centerpoint is already zoned for......several large towers.

You're not going to pay for current use; you would pay for highest, best, zoned for use.

forgive me if i'm wrong but wouldn't this be a prime opportunity to use some sort of value capture financing scheme?

A few thoughts:

1) I wonder if Metrolinx is trying to get a future developer to incorporate the bus terminal into their development. Build a bare bones surface terminal now, and then once the property is ready for redevelopment, shift the terminal underground as part of it. Metrolinx used a similar model with the Union Station Bus Terminal (though granted the replacement terminal is on the 2nd floor, not below ground).

2) I think there's a real opportunity for a Trillium Line type of service on the Richmond Hill GO line north of RHC once the subway opens. There wouldn't be a need to extend the subway further north, but running an AD2W DMU service between Bloomington and RHC may be worthwhile. During peaks run the current RH Line all the way into Union, but outside of peaks dump everyone at RHC to hop on the subway. This would also make better use of those Taj Mahal stations Metrolinx has built at Gormley and Bloomington.

forgive me if i'm wrong but wouldn't this be a prime opportunity to use some sort of value capture financing scheme?

The idea is sound; though, generally you would do that prior to rezoning that allows for multiple towers, as the change in zoning is large part of increased value.

In other words a good chunk of Centrepoint's future value is already in the net present value.

Ideally such a scheme would be contemplated much earlier.

I'm also unaware of Toronto or any Canadian municipality ever having pulled off such a scheme.

That's not to suggest it couldn't be done; but I think there are likely real limitations in applying it here.

Last edited:
^ I can’t see the logic in building this line with the intent of extending further. How long can one subway line be before operational issues take over ? Sooner or later there is a line in the sand where Line 1 has to stop, or be broken in two at Union and interleaved somehow. Maybe it’s time.

Perhaps Line 1 can be shorten on the York University/Vaughan end.

Here is my suggestion:

Line 4 is extended from Sheppard-Yonge, connect to Sheppard West and Downsview Park, and will continue up north to Vaughan Centre.
Line 1 to end at Downsview Park, rather than Vaughan Centre.

Sheppard West and Downsview Park stations can be configured as a bi-directional cross-platform interchange pair.

This solution, Line 4 can become a proper subway line with ~13-15 stops and reduce the length of Line 1.

I'm also unaware of Toronto or any Canadian municipality ever having pulled off such a scheme.
frank.jpg

Perhaps Line 1 can be shorten on the York University/Vaughan end.

Here is my suggestion:

Line 4 is extended from Sheppard-Yonge, connect to Sheppard West and Downsview Park, and will continue up north to Vaughan Centre.
Line 1 to end at Downsview Park, rather than Vaughan Centre.

Sheppard West and Downsview Park stations can be configured as a bi-directional cross-platform interchange pair.

This solution, Line 4 can become a proper subway line with ~13-15 stops and reduce the length of Line 1.

I think that horse has left the barn. At the design stage, the YorkU - Vaughan line could be designed as extension of the Sheppard line, or designed for interlining between the Allen Road and the Sheppard lines.

But at this point, rebuilding the Sheppard West or Downsview stations to link the northern segment with the Sheppard line would involve a very substantial new cost, and noone will be willing to pay for that.

Tory floated TIFs as an idea for funding SmartTrack and how has that panned out?

They can be a good funding method, in theory, but there's no real reason think they'd work in practice here, especially for such a short line/extension.

Also, I was just driving this stretch of Yonge and the devil is definitely in the details but I can see how it oculd possibly make sense to cut over to the GO corridor and then go into Langstaff and RHC at grade.

Finally, just a correction to an above point: I believe Centerpoint is presently zoned for Commercial uses and doesn't allow any kind of towers. That's basically not a major point anyway since the City is finishing a new Secondary Plan for the area that has major density planned for the site. It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Sure strikes me that there may be winners and losers in Ford Nation. Buried in leafy Etobicoke but surface in York, on Canada’s longest street? It’s a nice idea to analyse and fantasise, but I can’t get excited about that routing as part of York Region’s future network.

- Paul
Yonge Street has never been Canada's longest street. It's a very persistent urban myth.

1089px-Yonge_and_Hwy_11_map.jpg

Credit: @Transportfan

Most of Yonge Street's purported length is actually the sections of Highway 11 that never bore the name Yonge Street.

Steeles Avenue is longer.

This would also make better use of those Taj Mahal stations Metrolinx has built at Gormley and Bloomington.
I would say Gormley is a pretty bare bones station. It's just that the bus terminal is way too large for just the 61 bus where YRT didn't even run buses into (or any now that Stouffville Road no longer has service).

I would say Gormley is a pretty bare bones station. It's just that the bus terminal is way too large for just the 61 bus where YRT didn't even run buses into (or any now that Stouffville Road no longer has service).

You're right. I was thinking that they built it to the same degree as they built Bloomington.

... just to save 700m of tunnel.

Probably a bit more. A turnback track + tail would be around 300m after the Richmond Hill station; getting close to Bantree for a turnback track with high safe speeds for 90 second turnarounds. This also stores 2 trains overnight.

My bet is they're looking at the space under 407 for a small yard of 3 trains too (5 total).

Last edited:
Probably a bit more. A turnback pocket track + tail would be around 300m after the Richmond Hill station; getting close to Bantree for a turnback track with high safe speeds for 90 second turnarounds. This also stores 2 trains overnight.

My bet is they're looking at the space under 407 for a small yard of 3 trains too (5 total).
I imagined that once you curved from Yonge (north of cemetery), under 407 and parallel to the RH GO, you could always resurface at about that point and everything to the north is built at-grade or trenched, and not TBM.

Back