I am not certain but it appears that many more students these days are staying home with their parents and going to school. (I am one of them).
Another concern I have about society. Thinking about my university class of about 80 people, off-hand, I think I could count those who still lived at home on the fingers of one hand; possibly on two fingers of one-hand - but I've probably fogotten someone. I've heard horror stories of parents trying to contact Universities to discuss their child's progress - I mean can you believe it?

well the last part is extreme, however I think its due to the fact many people treat University more like School these days. Many people who go into University are still in "high school" mode.
I estimate easily 50-70% of the students live at home, especially among visible minorities where it is culturally normal to live with your parents until you marry.

The reason I live at home, is because my sister lives on campus and she says its fun in the short term but a pain in the ass over the long term. Also from experiencing it first hand, I did not like it, living with Strangers.

I think this trend of more students staying at home is one of the main reason's enrollment at Ryerson and UFT has shot up.

anyways back to topic...

We are discussing two different things in one thread.

Last edited:
I've got nothing against Jane Jacobs as an "urban theorist", but as an economist she is way off the mark. It is an annoying trend for social scientists, like Jacobs or Galbraith, to make the move into presenting themselves as economists. Or like Kunstler is now all of a sudden the world's expert on Peak Oil.

Kunstler is a blowhard who takes other people's research and repackages it for the angry masses.

As for Jane Jacobs, all her economics work is very macroeconomics, and even then completely tied to urban social scientist theory. Her work may challenge assumptions, but that doesn't mean that it's shocking either. It's all pretty mild stuff. Saying the wealth is primarily created in manufacturing and other secondary industries and through trade rather than in simple resource extraction isn't groundbreaking, but is instead a way to reinforce the importance of the city in the economy, and therefore the need to ensure a place for innovation in cities.

I think the real problem is that there's this perception people have about what she argued (and they mold that perception to fit their own biases), and the reality of what she said which is often very different.

That article on strip malls is particularly relevant to the Yonge subway extension because, unlike Yonge south of Finch, Yonge north of Finch is lined almost continuously with plazas that have parking out front...might as well paint bullseyes on them now as they're probably not compatible with the city's Avenues fetish.

well the last part is extreme, however I think its due to the fact many people treat University more like School these days. Many people who go into University are still in "high school" mode.
I estimate easily 50-70% of the students live at home, especially among visible minorities where it is culturally normal to live with your parents until you marry.

The reason I live at home, is because my sister lives on campus and she says its fun in the short term but a pain in the ass over the long term. Also from experiencing it first hand, I did not like it, living with Strangers.

I think this trend of more students staying at home is one of the main reason's enrollment at Ryerson and UFT has shot up.

Most minority kids/young adults I know went away to school. In fact, some went away as high school students. Boarding, at least when I was in school back in the 90s, had lots of students from Hong Kong, Taiwan and the Middle East.

Back on topic: Won't the strip malls worry about people parking just to take the subway? I pretty sure they already have some sort of limited parking time policy in place, but I'm not sure if they really enforce it all that much right now...

I've got nothing against Jane Jacobs as an "urban theorist", but as an economist she is way off the mark. It is an annoying trend for social scientists, like Jacobs or Galbraith, to make the move into presenting themselves as economists. Or like Kunstler is now all of a sudden the world's expert on Peak Oil.

Uh, both John Kenneth and James K. Galbraith are economists. Real ones, with PhDs, unlike our prime minister.

I don't think Jane Jacobs was quite what you think she was. She had no problems with big business, she just supported an organic landscape where gentrification could occur naturally, ensuring low-cost locations for innovation and small business to occur.

I heard a story that she was giving a talk in the states, and during the Q&A period someone asked her about stopping Wal-Mart from moving into a community. She stated that she had no problems with Wal-Mart as long as it fit into the urban fabric.

And remember, too, that latterly she took to speaking in positive terms of Brampton, Mississauga etc as exemplars of said economy-generating "organic landscape"--though yes, maybe one must take the concept of "gentrification" out of its association with the Stuff White People Like bunch. (Though conversely, the Spacing-world fetish for Scarberian strip malls relates, in its vogueish way.)

It's with that in mind that I was speaking of the strip malls surrounding Vaughan Mills. And to get back towards on topic, you can see a *lot* of that Jane Jacobs universe on Yonge north and north and north of Finch--and one which needn't even be upset by subway-extension-spurred redevelopment. (After all, a lot of those recent condos *south* of Finch fit the Jacobs mode surprisingly well, much more than the drycleaner/Rabba retail purgatory of their downtown brethern...)

Exactly, adma. The condos in North York Centre seem much more successful at supporting large numbers of independent small businesses than downtown condos. The retail strip at the Triomphe complex is astounding. There have got to be at least 30 little stores in there.

...and when it comes to that, who cares if the architecture is cheesy. Just like, who cares if the strip malls are featureless, or the old-school retail strips and nodes are mundane, unmonumental, and multiply tortured through alteration...

Though I'd make certain exceptions for the current stuccoing craze making retail strips look as sickly as Lisa Rinna's face...

Environmental Project Report

By e-mail today:

from Vivayork <contactus@vivayork.com>
date 5 February 2009 11:36
subject Yonge Subway Extension Notice of Completion

We are pleased to announce that an Environmental Project Report for the Yonge subway extension is now completed and available for public review effective February 2, 2009. This is the first project in Ontario to be assessed using the new streamlined Transit Project Assessment Process. The document can be reviewed at www.vivayork.com. The public has until March 4, 2009, to submit comments. More information is provided in the Notice of Completion below.

The Transit Project

The Regional Municipality of York, in partnership with York Region Rapid Transit Corporation, City of Toronto and Toronto Transit Commission have completed an Environmental Project Report (EPR) in accordance with Ontario Regulation 231/08 for a proposed extension of the Yonge Subway, from its current terminus at Finch Station in the City of Toronto to the Richmond Hill Centre at Yonge Street and Highway 7 in the Town of Richmond Hill.

The Transit Project is an underground 6.8 km, 6 subway station extension of the Yonge Subway from its current terminus at Finch Station in the City of Toronto to a proposed terminus in the Richmond Hill Centre. Stations include Cummer/Drewry, Steeles, Clark, Royal Orchard, Langstaff/Longbridge, and Richmond Hill Centre.

Intermodal bus terminals will be provided at Steeles Station and Richmond Hill Centre Station.

The Transit Project follows the Yonge Street right-of-way to south of Highway 407. The subway terminus north of Highway 407 is centrally located in the Richmond Hill Centre, approximately 240 m east of Yonge Street and 440 m north of Highway 7. The subway tunnels cross under Hydro One's high voltage transmission corridor which parallels Highway 407. A commuter parking lot, as well as passenger pick-up and drop- off facilities, will be located on the Hydro One / Ontario Realty Corporation lands south of Highway 407, west of Yonge Street. Property and an easement will be required from Hydro One / ORC as part of the undertaking. It is intended that the study process and documentation will also address the requirements of the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure Class Environmental Assessment Process.

The Process

The study is following Ontario Regulation 231/08, Transit Projects and Greater Toronto Transportation Authority Undertakings (Transit Project Assessment Process).

The environmental impact of this Transit Project has been assessed in accordance with the Transit Project Assessment Process.

As part of the Transit Project Assessment Process, an EPR has been prepared. The EPR will be available starting on February 2, 2009, for a 30-day review period at the locations listed below as well as the project website at www.vivayork.com.

There are circumstances where the Minister of the Environment has authority to require further consideration of the Transit Project, or impose conditions on it. These include if the Minister is of the opinion that:

• The Transit Project may have a negative impact on a matter of provincial importance that relates to the natural environment or has cultural heritage value or interest; or,
  • The Transit Project may have a negative impact on a constitutionally protected aboriginal or treaty right.

Before exercising the authority referred to above, the Minister is required to consider any written objections to the transit project received within 30 days after the Notice of Completion of the Environmental Project Report is published.

Interested persons are encouraged to review this document and provide comments by March 4, 2009. Comments and concerns may be directed to the project contacts listed below. If you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to submit an objection to this Transit Project to the Minister of the Environment no later than March 4, 2009 (12th Floor, 135 St. Clair Avenue West, Toronto, Ontario, M4V 1P5, Attention: Minister of the Environment).

Although not required, a copy of the objection may also be forwarded to the project contacts listed below.
Locations for 30-day review period:

• Ministry of the Environment, Central Region Office, 5775 Yonge Street, 8th Flr, North York
  • Ministry of the Environment, Environmental Assessment & Approvals Branch, 2 St Clair Ave W., Floor 12A, Toronto
  • City of Toronto, City Clerk's Office, 100 Queen Street W., 10th Flr West Tower,Toronto
  • Toronto Transit Commission, 5160 Yonge Street, 11th Flr, North York
  • Regional Municipality of York, Regional Clerk, 17250 Yonge Street, 4th Flr, Newmarket
  • Town of Richmond Hill, Office of the Town Clerk, 225 East Beaver Creek Rd., Richmond Hill
  • Town of Markham, Office of the Town Clerk, 101 Town Centre Blvd., Markham
  • City of Vaughan, Office of the City Clerk, 2141 Major Mackenzie Dr., Vaughan
  • Thornhill Community Centre Library, 7755 Bayview Avenue, Thornhill
  • Richvale Library, 40 Pearson Avenue, Richmond Hill
  • North York Central Library, 5120 Yonge Street, Toronto

To obtain additional information or provide comments, please contact:

Dale Albers | Chief Communications Officer
York Region Rapid Transit Corp.
1 West Pearce Street, 6th Floor
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3K3
Phone: 905-886-6767
Fax: 905-886-6969
Email: dale.albers@york.ca

Rod McPhail | Director, Transportation
Planning, City Planning Division
City of Toronto
55 John Street, 22nd Floor
Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
Phone: 416-392-8100
Fax: 416-392-3821
Email: rmcphail@toronto.ca

Charles Wheeler | Deputy Chief Project Manager
Toronto Transit Commission
5160 Yonge Street, 11th Floor
North York, ON, M2L 6L9
Phone: 416-397-8765
Fax: 416-338-0194
Email: charles.wheeler@ttc.ca

Am I correct in reading that they plan to acquire every house on the south side of Steeles all the way to Willowdale?

that's what it sounds like.

"For the Steeles Station location, it is anticipated that a total of 68 partial or full takings of
residential and commercial properties will be required in order to widen Steeles Avenue
and Yonge Street based on the preferred plan. Along the south side of Steeles Avenue,
immediately east of Yonge Street and extending to Willowdale Avenue, a row of
approximately 28 residential properties will need to be acquired."

Am I correct in reading that they plan to acquire every house on the south side of Steeles all the way to Willowdale?

Yes. As part of the ridiculously overbuilt Steeles station, all those houses will be acquired and most of the other local properties near the intersection will have to be partially acquired so that both Yonge and Steeles can be widened to accommodate the three entry ramps. Steeles West, in particular, already has a ROW wide enough for 9 lanes of traffic, but they want even more land to play with. Steeles station will require at least $50M of expropriation because of it's [poor] design. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if the city had any plans at all for the redevelopment of the area (North York Centre north). Maybe they'll resell the back half of those Steeles properties and have new stuff built on shallower lots, or maybe they'll just have a huge linear parkette...the EA might say but I don't have time to search the whole thing right now.

Senlac and Willowdale are getting their own bus bays at Steeles, and so is YRT route 2 and 2A, among others. Bathurst and Bayview buses will also be routed there. Steeles East and Steeles West are getting at least 4 bus bays each. It's quite a silly situation.

Back