Yes, it's possible that shadowing on Metropolitan United's park space was a concern.

It's high time to let the tapering policy go. We are building outwards from the core, in places that can support the density, that should not have to kowtow to First Canadian Place's assumed eternal preeminence.

FCP should definitely not be the only peak in the downtown area and I think it's abundantly clear that is not the case. All supporting documents which greatly outnumber those that don't suggest tapering is ideal for maximizing densities while the minimizing the impact on surrounding lower densities and from within the area of higher density. Things like shadow and light and movement of people and goods are of greater importance than the height of towers. The Entertainment District may be able to support 60 plus storey towers but, what is the effect of that on the already taxed CBD? Now, we add 60 storey towers to the north and east.

Let's agree to disagree. Tapering, to me, is a sound policy. What's wrong is that too many concession are being made.

Last edited:
Height should have to do with the building's effect on its surroundings. As long as the context taken into account, and it is, the tapering policy is an unneeded hinderance to realizing the potential of any given site.

Height should have to do with the building's effect on its surroundings. As long as the context taken into account, and it is, the tapering policy is an unneeded hinderance to realizing the potential of any given site.

In this day and age with high lot coverage, there really is no difference between a tapering policy and mitigating the effect of a new building on its surroundings. The policy at least offers a guideline for planners to consider when approving the latest rezoning application within our planning policy that has so little direction.

I prefer to look at communities and how they function together with other communities than individual developments and how they fit on their sites . Thus, I fail to see how tapering is a hinderance except maybe in comparable statistics such as one fewer tower of some arbitrary height to stack up against Chicago.

11 metres difference is what both parties agreed upon. I'm sure the difference was much greater at the start of negotiation.

In this day and age with high lot coverage, there really is no difference between a tapering policy and mitigating the effect of a new building on its surroundings. The policy at least offers a guideline for planners to consider when approving the latest rezoning application within our planning policy that has so little direction.

I prefer to look at communities and how they function together with other communities than individual developments and how they fit on their sites . Thus, I fail to see how tapering is a hinderance except maybe in comparable statistics such as one fewer tower of some arbitrary height to stack up against Chicago.

11 metres difference is what both parties agreed upon. I'm sure the difference was much greater at the start of negotiation.

Why would tapering mitigate anything at all? A 30s tower can totally cause a bigger shadow problem or have a worse impact on the surroundings than a 60s. People seem to be stuck with the idea that tall is bad, and we should keep it as short as possible as if being short means less effect on the surroundings. And because the financial district is already tall, so let's just keep all the tall buildings there.

And what's the obsession with keeping the Yonge/Bay corridor as the city's highest point? Aesthetically it looks stupid. Look at Manhattan and Chicago, or Hong Kong's skyline, there is no street where the buildings appear significantly tower than other streets. I don't see why Jarvis or Spadina can't have a 300m tower. The city should grow organically, and to say between street A and B in downtown we can have all the skyscrapers is just bad policy. Some day land between Yonge and University will run out anyway, should the city stop growing due to that?

Not to say at Richmond/Victoria the building has to be 100 meters shorter than Richmond/Bay just because it is east of it, well, I just don't understand such stupidity.

This site is part of a larger site that has been owned for more than a decade by a Hong Kong investor. The previous owners had at one time received approval for a two tower condo complex back in the 1980s, I think. The site includes the L-shaped parking lot fronting on Richmond, Victoria and Lombard, as well as the former Milwaukee's pool hall/Zasu restaurant building on the north side of Lombard that is now falling into disrepair.

The north part of the site, on which the work is now proceeding, is actually a buried underground parking garage (the entrance ramp is/was, I recall, just north of the building at the northeast corner of Victoria and Lombard - not part of the site, by the way). It's not used, and I guess the owner is now demolishing the garage by filling it in, leaving only a surface lot. The underground part hasn't been used for many years, although I don't know if that is because of the zoning laws or it was condemned.

Wow. That's fascinating!
What a interesting spot to do some urban spelunking.
If they find a blue Volkswagen, it's mine. Left the car and took the taxi home one night right about that time.
Never could remember where I parked the damn thing once I sobered up.

Why would tapering mitigate anything at all? A 30s tower can totally cause a bigger shadow problem or have a worse impact on the surroundings than a 60s.

:confused:

People seem to be stuck with the idea that tall is bad, and we should keep it as short as possible as if being short means less effect on the surroundings. And because the financial district is already tall, so let's just keep all the tall buildings there.

There are lots of tall buildings outside the financial district, especially in the near future. I suggest you do some reading: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/12/stunning-rendering-torontos-future-skyline

And what's the obsession with keeping the Yonge/Bay corridor as the city's highest point? Aesthetically it looks stupid. Look at Manhattan and Chicago, or Hong Kong's skyline, there is no street where the buildings appear significantly taller than other streets.

Manhattan's skyline peaks in Midtown and Lower Manhattan. You wont find any supertalls in the West Village.
Seriously, Hong Kong? That city has the most highrises in the world. How is that a valid comparison?
Chicago looks a lot like Toronto. The main difference I see is that the skyline grew along the lake, while Toronto grew away from the lake. Also, Chicago doesn't have highrises in the suburbs.

I don't see why Jarvis or Spadina can't have a 300m tower.

On spadina? Wow. Maybe at cityplace, but knowing you, a First Canadian Place next to Kensington Market would be appropriate, because Toronto should aspire to become Hong Kong.

The city should grow organically, and to say between street A and B in downtown we can have all the skyscrapers is just bad policy.

Again, not all the skyscrapers are between A and B. Good thing you're not in charge of planning policies.

Some day land between Yonge and University will run out anyway, should the city stop growing due to that?

That will not happen anytime soon. And the city won't stop growing even if it did. For one, the portlands alone is a big as downtown.

Last edited:
Look, I am not saying 60-80s can be built anywhere downtown. I am only saying that to arbitrarily force a tapering off from Bay st is extremely stupid, and there is absolutely to reason why the towers at King/Bay have to be the tallest in the entire city.

Yes, there will be a lot of skyscrapers in the pipeline, but almost all of them are on the Bay/Yonge corridor, and this is what I think makes no sense - as if a certain distance away from Bay st there is automatically a need for height reduction. For example, I don't see why 80s towers can't be built at Jarvis/Wellesley, Church/Queen, or Bathurst and Dundas, or King and Parliament, if there is an appropriate proposal. As to Kensington market, I don't think it is inappropriate to have a highrise near it yet not right in it. How would a highrise damage this neighbourhood at all, except the perceived harm that it is not completely low rise any more - and who says a completely low rise nabe is necessarily such a great thing to start with?

I am glad the Portland will see a lot of development, but that's beyond the point. What I am arguing is this stupid policy that buildings east and west of Yonge/Bay should be tapered off gradually as it gets farther away from this magical corridor.

As to Chicago, not everything is along the lake. I don't know how you get this idea. Willis Tower is a mile away from Lake Michigan, and using the same distance from Yonge st, we would have 300m towers on Sacksville st East of Parliament, or Augusta ave west of Spadina. While John Hancock Tower is minutes from the Lake, Trump Chicago is about 1 mile from it too. The 307M Franklin Center is also a mile west of Lake Michigan.

Regarding NYC, yes, skylines peak in low and midtown, but that covers a fairly large space, and there is no such rule that says one or two st have all the tallest towers and everything tapers off depending on how far they are from that street, is there? In fact, you don't see a pattern at all, as skycrapers are all over those two areas, not congregating on one of two streets.

Last edited:
Look, I am not saying 60-80s can be built anywhere downtown. I am only saying that to arbitrarily force a tapering off from Bay st is extremely stupid, and there is absolutely to reason why the towers at King/Bay have to be the tallest in the entire city.

Fair enough, although some of us will have different opinions about the need for a tapering off policy. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle between "it's extremely stupid" and "it's good planning".

As to Chicago, not everything is along the lake. I don't know how you get this idea. Willis Tower is a mile away from Lake Michigan, and using the same distance from Yonge st, we would have 300m towers on Sacksville st East of Parliament, or Augusta ave west of Spadina. While John Hancock Tower is minutes from the Lake, Trump Chicago is about 1 mile from it too. The 307M Franklin Center is also a mile west of Lake Michigan.

I didn't mean everything is on the lake. While some towers are a mile from the lake, the skyline is much larger than one mile when you look at it from the lake, whereas in Toronto the skyline appears smaller from the lake compared to the east or west side. Whatever, this point is irrelevant. I was just mentioning a difference. Chicago is not a blueprint for where 300m towers belong in Toronto.

Regarding NYC, yes, skylines peak in low and midtown, but that covers a fairly large space, and there is no such rule that says one or two st have all the tallest towers and everything tapers off depending on how far they are from that street, is there? In fact, you don't see a pattern at all, as skycrapers are all over those two areas, not congregating on one of two streets.

Yes, I wonder why that's the case. Maybe it's because NYC is far bigger than Toronto. Maybe it's because they have a dense network of subway lines that can support so many skyscrapers all over the place. One other thing about NYC, is that its buildform is consistent. Once you move out of the forest of skyscrapers in low and midtown, you won't find many skyscrapers plunked randomly on top of low rise or midrise neighbourhoods like the West Village. In other words, if you believe Toronto should be more like NYC, an 80s tower next to Kensington market or any stable low rise area is not the way to go. I can't think of any city on this side of the planet where city planners allow such vastly opposite buildings heights to clash with each other.

Yes, there will be a lot of skyscrapers in the pipeline, but almost all of them are on the Bay/Yonge corridor, and this is what I think makes no sense - as if a certain distance away from Bay st there is automatically a need for height reduction. For example, I don't see why 80s towers can't be built at Jarvis/Wellesley, Church/Queen, or Bathurst and Dundas, or King and Parliament, if there is an appropriate proposal.

First of all, the only 80+ storey buildings that have ever been proposed lately are Mirvish + Ghery, and 1-7 Yonge (Toronto Star lands). These are not something you hear everyday, and no one has plans to propose anything of that magnitude outside the downtown core anytime soon. One of the reason why the tallest buildings are on the Bay/Yonge corridor is because that's where the infrastructure exists to support them. There's a subway on Yonge, university, and Bloor street, and naturally the density will generally decrease as you move outside the subway loop. While shoulder areas like Jarvis/Wellesley wont be getting 80s, maybe it will get 40s, 50s, or even 60s instead. Stop pretending that it's insignificant. As for further away areas like Bathurst/Dundas, if anything that should really be midrise, similar to other nearby developments. How 80s would make sense here is beyond me, when even Yonge street is still mostly low-rise. Maybe if the downtown outgrows it's current boundaries in 200 years, then the low/midrise at Bathurst/Dundas could be redeveloped again into taller buildings. But for now, you can take the entire population growth expected in the next couple of decades, and fit them neatly into avenues style development alone, without any more highrises (hypothetically of course). Toronto is a huge place. There's lots of land to grow.

who says a completely low rise nabe is necessarily such a great thing to start with?

What is it that you have against low rise neighbourhoods? Many of Toronto's most desirable areas are low rise, like the Annex, St. Lawrence, Cabbagetown, Beaches, Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
But this project is only one block away from a subway station, limiting it to 45s is a bit ridiculous. It is in the core, Spire is a few blocks further east and is 50s. This by any definition is "the core of Toronto".

What is it that you have against low rise neighbourhoods? Many of Toronto's most desirable areas are low rise, like the Annex, St. Lawrence, Cabbagetown, Beaches, Roncesvalles.

I don't have anything against low rise neighbourhoods - it suits certain people's need, which is fine. What I am against is the opposition of density increase even in central part of the city, close to the subway lines, under the name of "preserving the character" or "shadowing", as if only low rise neighbourhoods can have characters and high density living is just mindless super towers with no sense of neighbourhood whatsoever. For example, do you think it is appropriate to build towers near Dupont and Castle Frank stations and increase the density by at least 5X? What about Bathurst and Dundas, what kind of desirable neighbourhood is that? What I am against is this animosity to height, as if it goes against something sacred and any reduction should be considered an achievement in the holy war against the "greedy developers".

On many levels, low density neighbourhoods are not efficient and making building good transit more difficult and expensive. When it sprawls further away beyond a reasonable distance, it actually decreases people's quality of life due to commute time, congestion, stress etc.

Chopping off a few floors at Richmond/Victoria under for some dubious reasons is silly and achieves absolutely nothing. West of Church st there should be no limit in height - at least 60s would do just fine. What I find extremely silly is that some people believe just because it is located 100 meter east of Yonge st, the height should be automatically reduced substantially compared with what is allowed on Yonge st. Do you think that starts to make any sense? Additionally, Richmond/Victoria doesn't belong to ANY neighbourhood - not financial district, not St Lawrence Market, not Moss Park. There is no neighbourhood to harm.

But this project is only one block away from a subway station, limiting it to 45s is a bit ridiculous. It is in the core, Spire is a few blocks further east and is 50s. This by any definition is "the core of Toronto".

I totally agree. So bizzare.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5C 1M1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 259634 SHO 00 PP Accepted Date: Dec 4, 2014

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 45 storey condo building with 669 residential units, commercial at ground floor, and 7 levels of below grade parking. 125 Richmond St E & 20 Lombard St. NOTE: Separate permit for alterations & connection to adjacent Heritage building (26 Lombard St) to be submitted at a later date.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5C 1M1

Application#: 14 267143 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 23, 2014

Project: Multiple Unit Building Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to construct a 5th storey addition over existing 4 storey heritage building, interial alterations to all floors, facade restoration, and convert from mixed use non-residential building to commercial at grade and 12 new residential units. NOTE: Building will be connected to new development (see 25 RICHMOND ST E - 14 259634 BLD) on the 5th floor. Convenience address - 26 Lombard St.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5C 1M1

Application#: 14 267143 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 23, 2014

Project: Multiple Unit Building Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to construct a 5th storey addition over existing 4 storey heritage building, interial alterations to all floors, facade restoration, and convert from mixed use non-residential building to commercial at grade and 12 new residential units. NOTE: Building will be connected to new development (see 25 RICHMOND ST E - 14 259634 BLD) on the 5th floor. Convenience address - 26 Lombard St.

If this does get approved, would that mean by 7th floor unit on but pushed up by 1 floor higher?

If this does get approved, would that mean by 7th floor unit on but pushed up by 1 floor higher?

kwokrealty I dont think it means that at all. If you recall, the presentation centre is in a heritage building. I think the proposal is to add a 5th floor to that pre-existing, not the actual building that will be built from the ground up. If you aren't sure, go back to the presentation centre on Lombard Street and look up. That building is only 4 floors, looks like they want to add a 5th.

Back