It's supposed to be Spring Rolls, no?

Spring Rolls bailed,.... not returning to SheppardCentre or the area,... probably too many picky Asian eaters here,....

Maybe that's a bit outdated? I see Tim Hortons in there which, judging by the "COMING SOON" sign, is moving to the opposite corner of Yonge & Sheppard.

No, it's kept up to date. The link URL indicates version number. The number changes every month or so. They're at version 14.

Timmy's is at every corner downtown, sometimes even on separate floors of the same building, so its not surprising they're placing them so close to each other. I think its called place-holding, so competitors don't lease them. Starbucks does the same.

Maybe that's a bit outdated? I see Tim Hortons in there which, judging by the "COMING SOON" sign, is moving to the opposite corner of Yonge & Sheppard.

No, it's kept up to date. The link URL indicates version number. The number changes every month or so. They're at version 14.

Timmy's is at every corner downtown, sometimes even on separate floors of the same building, so its not surprising they're placing them so close to each other. I think its called place-holding, so competitors don't lease them. Starbucks does the same.

This been covered before,.... so I guess you two are being "repetitive",.... anyways, I really hate saying AmnesiaJune is right,... but at least I get to say PipolChap is wrong. ;p

As Bill123 already stated about TimHortons: "They are moving from Sheppard Centre, that one is full all the time and they definitely need more space. The Canada Post might also move here to one of the Yonge units."
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-128#post-1140784

And as I stated: "This new EmeraldPark TimHortons store will be replacing the SheppardCentre TimHortons store which is the size of a 1-bedroom condo; it only has a few seating area and many are just ledges/shelves against the wall or window. Here's an image (from zomato.com) of the SheppardCentre TimHortons (notice how those folks are sitting, even their feet are encroaching onto the mall's common area):",... "From a customer's prespective, the current SheppardCentre TimHortons is always packed but they've been losing customers for years,.... if customers can't get a table, they go to the next coffee shop with table,... and free wifi. Nearby along Yonge Street in NYCC, there's practically a coffee shop on every block: SecondCup & TimHortons in SheppardCentre, 7-11 & McDonald's at northwest corner of Yonge&Shepaprd, Cafe at WholeFoodsMarket in HullmarkCentre, Starbucks in Avondale (another Starbucks on 2nd floor of EmeraldPark), JavaJoe in NestleBuilding, each gas station (Esso, Shell & PetroCan) have their on coffee shop, cafe at lower concourse level of ProctorGamble building, Druxy, CountryStyle, m2m cafe, Bake Code, etc,....",... "Needless to say, a lot of these customers live in condos and just need a more spacious place to get away from their cramp quarters to just hang out with their laptop or to socialize with a few friends; and they'll be taking the table for an hour or so instead of the 2 minutes it takes to drink a cup of coffee. Thus, coffee shop can never have enough seating area,... as soon as they're full, they lose customers to their competitors."
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-129#post-1142120

Oh, and TimHortons been trying to expand their service capacity in the local area for years,.... as I know a few years ago the TimHortons at ESSO gas station on Yonge just south of EmeraldPark tried to acquire some of the adjacent single residential house properties directly to it's west in order to create a drive-thru TimHortons.

Like I said,.... I really hate saying AmnesiaJune is right,.... now I feel like I have to wash my mouth out with soap! ;p

Last edited:
Most people also don't know that Tim Hortons is there. They don't have any street frontage. They're in the back corner of a deserted shopping mall's second floor. At Emerald Park they're going to be right on Yonge Street.

,... but at least I get to say PipolChap is wrong

You believe Timmy's would forgo all those office tower workers in the Sheppard Centre for the residents in Emerald Park? Nope.

If they did, even though they have a loyal following, they risk their customers going to the 2nd Cup and McD's (both would be closer), especially on a rainy or snowy day! Even though McD's is more their closest competitor, I mention 2nd Cup because they'll still be in the mall. In office locations, street frontage is not that important because people don't walk that far for coffee. Also, their margin on coffee sales alone would cover their rent in the mall multiple-folds!

I can say without hesitation, sunnyray, you have no clue about business, and yet you say you advocate for them. Wow, you really do live in your own little world!

You believe Timmy's would forgo all those office tower workers in the Sheppard Centre for the residents in Emerald Park? Nope.

If they did, even though they have a loyal following, they risk their customers going to the 2nd Cup and McD's (both would be closer), especially on a rainy or snowy day! Even though McD's is more their closest competitor, I mention 2nd Cup because they'll still be in the mall. In office locations, street frontage is not that important because people don't walk that far for coffee. Also, their margin on coffee sales alone would cover their rent in the mall multiple-folds!

I can say without hesitation, sunnyray, you have no clue about business, and yet you say you advocate for them. Wow, you really do live in your own little world!

Ok,... so I'll say PipolChap is right and AmnesiaJune is wrong,... happy? But one of you guys is wrong,... and we'll find out soon,.... ;p

I'm just repeating what our EmeraldPark retail guy, Bill123, said about TimHortons last August: "They are moving from Sheppard Centre, that one is full all the time and they definitely need more space."
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-128#post-1140784

Now of course I'm not a parrot,.... I did confirm with various city sources and documents that the SheppardCentre TimHortons and the new EmeraldPark TimHortons have the same owner,... so if Bill123 says they're moving back in August, that seems possible,.... but if you say, they'll keep both TimHortons now, that possible as well,.... time will tell. Heck, after they open the EmeraldPark TimHortons they might even close their smaller SheppardCentre TimHortons after a few months or years,... who knows. The SheppardCentre TimHortons is small, disorganized, dirty, etc,... it makes the gas station TimHortons look like a luxury restaurant! And like I said, it's all about available seating area around here,... and the SheppardCentre TimHortons doesn't have enough of it and it's too far from the FoodCourt,... so locals tend to go elsewhere,...
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-129#post-1142120

When the SheppardCentre TimHortons opened around 5 years ago,... I there was free cake, coffee, clowns, and stuff like that (Thus, we should look for that when EmeraldPark TimHortons open - but the Grand Opening Celebration is usually a few days or weeks after the actual store opening),..... and I remember hearing that the SheppardCentre TimHortons is owned by the same owner as the TimHortons at Ultima-Condo (Yonge & NorthYork Blvd - just south of MelLastmanSquare) which opened about 10 years ago and BTW is much larger and cleaner with a lot more seating areas so folks can hang out more,.... so I'm assuming this TimHortons franchisee has the south part of NorthYorkCentre as his/her territory.

And since you mention they have huge profit margin on coffee,..... I don't doubt you since judging from the poor quality at SheppardCenter TimHortons and Ultima-TimHortons,.... it's the worst tasting TimHortons coffee around - likely because they're diluting it or using cheap tap water instead of distilled water,... but these TimHorton coffee is far worst than other TimHorton stores. And the staff at these TimHortons stores are basically all from the Philippines, they rarely smile and constantly yapping at each other in their native language - Tagalog and smile at each other - but not at customers,... they rush through the orders - they're trained to go quick, quick, quick,.... some have really bad English - probably newly arrived on work visas. They don't seem to understand my English (I'm raised and educated here) since I basically have to point to what I want,... and they'll still get it wrong! Anyways,.... this TimHorton owner of the SheppardCenter TimHortons and Ultima-TimHortons seems to be cutting corners and taking short cuts to increase his/her profit margin,.... thus, we should expect the same at the new EmeraldPark TimHortons.

BTW, I don't advocate for businesses,... I advocate for local residents of my community,... and I'll partner with other groups including local businesses when it help our cause,....

Last edited:
Demolition phase of SheppardCentre seems to be over,.... construction started,... right now along Yonge Street frontage,... cutting the crap out of the cement slabs between lower level and upper level of mall,... seems to be for the smaller northern Yonge frontage entrance - interior lobby/hallway stairs area,.... see that huge hole in the floor in front of the guy in yellow pants - that hole was cut!!! Also notice the new reinforcement support beam above his head.

IMG_0050.JPG

That hole and reinforcement support beam wasn't there in my previous photo taken last month from the same angle! And shown here,.....
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-riocan-quadrangle.17901/page-14#post-1157364
SheppardCentre_NoCut.JPG

Look carefully and you'll see a couple of these huge round disc cement cutters machines
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,047
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,067
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,018
  • SheppardCentre_NoCut.JPG
    SheppardCentre_NoCut.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,066
Last edited:
And like I said, it's all about available seating area around here,... and the SheppardCentre TimHortons doesn't have enough of it and it's too far from the FoodCourt,... so locals tend to go elsewhere,...

I would think the Sheppard Centre location would be more interested in capturing the commuters coming on and off the subway. Those customers just want to grab a quick coffee and go. It might be better for them to set up some sort of express that keeps the line moving and serves people more quickly rather than people who want to sit and eat, relax, etc. Locals who want to linger can still wander to the food court or visit one of the other more spacious Tims locations.

I agree that the current setup is terrible. The last time I was in there was during the ice storm, as they still had power and thus precious hot coffee and soup. :)

I was going to let your post go, but this annoys me.

And the staff at these TimHortons stores are basically all from the Philippines, they rarely smile and constantly yapping at each other in their native language - Tagalog and smile at each other - but not at customers,... they rush through the orders - they're trained to go quick, quick, quick,.... some have really bad English - probably newly arrived on work visas. They don't seem to understand my English (I'm raised and educated here)

So what?! What have you got against Filipinos? How they talk? The Philippines is one of the most English-bilingual countries in the world! By the way you type, their English is probably better than yours (learn how to use punctuation). Also, if you drop the obnoxiousness, perhaps you'll encounter friendlier interactions. I understand you are of Chinese descent. Do your parents have perfect English? Should they not work?

You also judge Willowdale residents by their race and figure out who cycles and who doesn't. Where were you even educated?!

Honestly, this kind of racist talk should not be condoned in urbantoronto!

Back