My first job in Canada was at Yorkdale. I knew that place like the back of my hand. These days it's hard to recognize. I often get lost. It's definitely Toronto's best mall, if not Canada's. Truly incredible what they've built.

Eaton Centre has my heart since it's such a big part of my childhood but there's no way CF could ever compete with Yorkdale for a better experience. The tall store fronts at Yorkdale can't be replicated. Maybe Cadillac Fairview could start merging some of the smaller stores to create bigger spaces and begin enforcing a higher design standard for store fronts. There's little else they could do.

I don't find the storefronts to make any difference in terms of whether I want to go to one mall or the other. Both malls have the same corporate storefront designs you'll find at any major big-city mall, with the ones at Yorkdale being taller. The Eaton Centre offers a great experience with better transit and neighbourhood connections. Its anchor, the Bay, has a more impressive store on Queen Street than at Yorkdale. The Bay's Christmas-themed storefronts offer what's probably the best 'storefront experience' in the city, with nothing comparable available at Yorkdale.

I don't find the storefronts to make any difference in terms of whether I want to go to one mall or the other. Both malls have the same corporate storefront designs you'll find at any major big-city mall, with the ones at Yorkdale being taller. The Eaton Centre offers a great experience with better transit and neighbourhood connections. Its anchor, the Bay, has a more impressive store on Queen Street than at Yorkdale. The Bay's Christmas-themed storefronts offer what's probably the best 'storefront experience' in the city, with nothing comparable available at Yorkdale.

In addition, the Eaton Centre is connected to the underground PATH system. So you may say that the Eaton Centre is only one small section of the PATH system.

PATH_map-2015-600x600.jpg

Which is the better mall developer in your view, CF or Oxford?
I should not derail this thread, but personally, I like both of them. Cadillac Fairview has Canada's first Saks stores located in their malls, a well as 5 out of Canada's first 6 Nordstrom stores (once the Sherway store opens.) Oxford, however, owns Yorkdale and is more successful than Cadillac Fairview in attracting new luxury tenants.

As for Urban Toronto's view, this poll had votes for only Cadillac Fairview and Oxford, the latter of which won 10-4.

TI

Now if there was a PATH between Yorkdale Mall and the so-called SmartCentre (Downsview) to the north, and one can actually walk between the two, without having to use a car (or the subway)...

Now if there was a PATH between Yorkdale Mall and the so-called SmartCentre (Downsview) to the north, and one can actually walk between the two, without having to use a car (or the subway)...
That would be excellent. Even better is if there were an underground connection between Yorkdale and Lawrence Square. Unfortunately, Oxford, RioCan, and SmartCentres are competitors in the retail development industry.

I don't find the storefronts to make any difference in terms of whether I want to go to one mall or the other. Both malls have the same corporate storefront designs you'll find at any major big-city mall, with the ones at Yorkdale being taller.

Indeed. Tall store fronts can actually make a mall feel cold and uninviting. Carrefour Laval comes to mind.

That would be excellent. Even better is if there were an underground connection between Yorkdale and Lawrence Square. Unfortunately, Oxford, RioCan, and SmartCentres are competitors in the retail development industry.

If I'm going to Yorkdale I'm certainly not looking to go to Lawrence Square.

…and the connection between the two is called the Spadina line.

Neither of these connections are advantageous enough to the mall owners to be affordable, and talk of a kilometre-long one underground is particularly loopy.

…and the connection between the two is called the Spadina line.

Neither of these connections are advantageous enough to the mall owners to be affordable, and talk of a kilometre-long one underground is particularly loopy.

Lawrence Square may not be long for this world anyways especially as Lawrence Heights revitalization moves along.

AoD

I disagree, The Bay at Yorkdale is excellent. The one at the Eaton Centre has a confusing layout with The Saks.

Back