Those photos are great. The mall looked gorgeous in its early days. Does anything, from what is shown in those photos, still exist; minus the Simpson's stalagmite ceiling? That winding staircase and flower-shaped pods are gone, right?

The flower pods were part of Eaton's and were removed when the Eaton's store was practically torn down for the galleria wing. They would be around where Coach/PotteryBarn and the escalator up to the new food court is. The glass wall over looking that I believe is still from the original mall. Where Banana was was a Holt Renfrew years ago. The original corridor was from the Bay to Banana Republic and from Eaton's down to where Holt is now (which was a Dominion. I'm not sure how far south the original mall extended. The Sears L was added - I think around the time the wing eastward to the subway was added (probably when the first food court was built where Holts now has a second floor) along with the original Cineplex. When Eaton's closed the galleria wing (Indigo south) was added, then the last extension.

There is a nearby mall for cheapskates: Lawrence Square Shopping Centre.

Despite the two being very close to each other, Yorkdale is considered high-end, while Lawrence Square is considered low-end.

June 1
14229111440_f1e9d29f9e_b.jpg

14435880763_4672b66851_b.jpg

14229119070_6cfe5a1aea_b.jpg

14415700635_5a3ebd10a8_b.jpg

14412363271_df6f9843b4_b.jpg

14229131430_f9e9a2ce47_b.jpg

Close friend works in the mall and chats with the Yorkdale management all of the time. The plan is for a 3-level Nordstrom with 5 levels of Underground parking below.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did a smaller expansion over at Sears or if they were exploring ways to revamp the highway entrance.

5 levels kind of makes sense. Parking is a nightmare at Yorkdale, so they clearly need the extra spots. And then by having extra parking underground it frees them up to develop the surface lots in the future.

New front page story here, with shots from late August.

Here are a couple more, first from the south end,

P1410503.jpg

and this look underneath the cinema area:

P1410516.jpg

Attachments

• P1410503.jpg
    P1410503.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 747
  • P1410516.jpg
    P1410516.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 701
Just a matter of time before Yorkdale is the biggest Canadian mall east of Edmonton. (If it isn't already.) But I hope that something really ambitious is coming down the pipeline in the farther off future. Seeing some of the mega malls in South East Asia makes me realize how underdeveloped even the biggest and fanciest malls in Canada are. (With one, decaying, exception).

Being on a subway line and two freeways makes this site ground zero afaic for something truly spectacular. I'm talking about a mega, mixed used, city-within-a-city affair with millions of square feet of office and residential space, a five star hotel, some kind of interior water/theme park, NHL skating rink, plus all the glitzy bling you can imagine. There are two new malls here in Ha Noi that blow anything in TO out of the water, because they're destinations rather than just shopping malls.

Time for TO developers to think bigger.

Last edited:
They have plans to ultimately bring all parking underground and expand the mall across all existing surface parking lots. Yorkdale will be huge when it's all said and done. This mall will be phenomenal.

They have plans to ultimately bring all parking underground and expand the mall across all existing surface parking lots. Yorkdale will be huge when it's all said and done. This mall will be phenomenal.

They should go for mixed use though in the other phases, i.e. build condos on top, that'd bring in a lot of additional revenue I'd imagine.

Just a matter of time before Yorkdale is the biggest Canadian mall east of Edmonton. (If it isn't already.) But I hope that something really ambitious is coming down the pipeline in the farther off future. Seeing some of the mega malls in South East Asia makes me realize how underdeveloped even the biggest and fanciest malls in Canada are. (With one, decaying, exception).

Being on a subway line and two freeways makes this site ground zero afaic for something truly spectacular. I'm talking about a mega, mixed used, city-within-a-city affair with millions of square feet of office and residential space, a five star hotel, some kind of interior water/theme park, NHL skating rink, plus all the glitzy bling you can imagine. There are two new malls here in Ha Noi that blow anything in TO out of the water, because they're destinations rather than just shopping malls.

Time for TO developers to think bigger.

Honestly what you are describing sounds a lot more like Square One ... and that has the potential to go down that route ... that'll be harder at Yorkdale with 0 office (well know there is one small building / 200K) and 0 residential today, also a lot of the land surrounding Yorkdale is already housing.

Not saying we can't / won't see some of this, but I'm thinking more along the lines of sherway i.e. a condo here and there and that's it.

Moreover Square One is at least attempting to make it more pedestrian friendly, that cannot at all be said about Yorkdale.

New front page story here, with shots from late August.

Here are a couple more, first from the south end,

I've been meaning to post the photos I took from the parking deck, but because they were taken within a few hours of those on the front page story, I guess I don't need to now. (Seriously, all the machines are in the same position, with the same dirt tracks, taken from the same angle.)

Since then, excavation has continued. The east side looks to be completely excavated to the desired depth, with concrete having been poured at the southeast corner.

They should go for mixed use though in the other phases, i.e. build condos on top, that'd bring in a lot of additional revenue I'd imagine.

I would have to agree with you, but their appetite for mixed use seems to escape them. Look at the recent expansions. Although there's a height restriction due to the airport, but still they have made no attempt to integrate other uses (especially residential) into their expansions.

Condos means selling some of the land. Why would they want to do that when they can keep expanding the retail aspect of it? Perhaps more office space but is there any demand for office in this location?

Back