8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

adeel

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/article/965947--queen-s-park-and-city-have-a-12-4b-ttc-deal?bn=1

Robert Benzie
Queen's Park Bureau Chief
Tess Kalinowski Transportation Reporter
The Better Way will get a lot bigger under a new $12.4 billion plan to extend the Sheppard subway line in both directions and build a new Eglinton light rail line from Jane St. to Kennedy station, the Star has learned.

Premier Dalton McGuinty is to announce Thursday that the province is giving Toronto $8.2 billion to pay for the TTC’s new 20-km Eglinton Crosstown Metro. It would run underground all the way from Black Creek to Scarborough Centre and continue above ground along the existing Scarborough Rapid Transit route, which would be converted to the same LRT technology.

But it will be up to Mayor Rob Ford and city council to determine how to finance the $4.2 billion it will cost for the Sheppard subway extensions he wants to build west to Downsview station and east to Scarborough Centre.

Questions remain about whether it is feasible to raise that much money using development charges and tax increment financing to boost the Toronto Transit Commission.

“There are only four ways to do it: existing revenue tools, like property taxes; a private-public partnership; increased federal funding; or, down the road, some kind of new funding arrangement with the province,†one source confided.

The provincial funding had previously been earmarked for Transit City, which was a plan for more extensive light rail on Eglinton, Sheppard, Finch and the Scarborough RT.

But Ford declared that deal dead as soon as he took office last October, vowing there would be no more tracks down the middle of Toronto’s streets like the St. Clair Ave. line.

As a result of the mayor’s objections, the proposed Finch line from the upcoming Finch West station to Humber College has been scrapped.

While Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne was tight-lipped Wednesday, she confirmed a deal was “close.â€

“There’s no more money, but on the Eglinton line we want to get going,†said Wynne, mindful that the Liberals hold 19 of Toronto’s 23 seats and face re-election on Oct. 6.

“It’s been a back and forth conversation for a number of weeks,†she said of the weeks of ongoing negotiations between Queen’s Park and city hall.

“The whole point of this ... has been to find the common ground, to find a way to preserve our principles and to allow the city to move forward on what it wants to do.â€

Construction will start this year, with completion set for 2020.

Ford’s dream of an extended Sheppard subway will be the city’s $4.2 billion responsibility alone — in the west, it will run 5.45 km from Downsview station to Yonge; in the east, it will go from Don Mills to Scarborough Centre. It should be finished in 2019.

The plan would take traffic off the Bloor-Danforth line, according to one provincial source. Studies show many people would switch to Eglinton to travel to the Yonge and Eglinton area.

Under former mayor David Miller’s administration, Metrolinx was prepared to fund about 56 km of light rail on separate lanes running down the middle of the road by about the end of the decade.

The idea was to enhance the commutes of residents living in some of Toronto’s priority neighbourhoods such as Jane and Finch, where transit access and social services are scarce.

Light rail advocates argue that such lines encourage mid-rise development that leads to livelier, pedestrian friendly streetscapes.

Ford — and those who voted for him — disagreed, saying construction snarled traffic and removed precious lane space from busy city streets.

In a major concession, meanwhile, the TTC will abandon its “open payment†smartcard and work with Metrolinx to implement the Presto fare card already in use.

“That’s a big win,†said one provincial insider, recalling the feud between Queen’s Park and the previous TTC administration over Presto.

Wow!!!

The Eglinton desription doesn't make much sense though. The first paragraph says to Kennedy station, then the 2nd says to STC. Which is it? If it's a continuous route from Jane to STC, I'd chaulk this up as a win.

Wow!!!

The Eglinton desription doesn't make much sense though. The first paragraph says to Kennedy station, then the 2nd says to STC. Which is it? If it's a continuous route from Jane to STC, I'd chaulk this up as a win.

It is specifying that the part from Black Creek to Kennedy is new and from Kennedy to STC it is a replacement of the existing line.

Re Eglinton, It seems like its underground to Kennedy and then from kennedy to STC above ground. Since its using the same LRT tech, i hope this means you can get from STC to Yonge-Eg on a single car without any transfers in between

Re Sheppard, does anyone else think the 2019 date seems unlikely?

I personally woulda preferred a BD extension to STC that connects with Sheppard but ah well

In a major concession, meanwhile, the TTC will abandon its “open payment” smartcard and work with Metrolinx to implement the Presto fare card already in use.

This news at the bottom is almost as big.

Well, with the provincial election looming in October let's hope the Liberals stay in power. You remember what happened to the Eglinton line the last time the Tories got in....

Well, with the provincial election looming in October let's hope the Liberals stay in power. You remember what happened to the Eglinton line the last time the Tories got in....

I'm sure the provincial Tories want to keep Rob Ford happy.

Re Eglinton, It seems like its underground to Kennedy and then from kennedy to STC above ground. Since its using the same LRT tech, i hope this means you can get from STC to Yonge-Eg on a single car without any transfers in between.

I would hope (and expect) that that would indeed be the case. Given that the entire Eglinton East section is being designed, I would expect they would redesign Kennedy station as a thru-station instead of a terminus of two in-line lines using the same technology.

Re Sheppard, does anyone else think the 2019 date seems unlikely?

I think a starting date of never is more likely. The Sheppard line is being entirely funded by the City. Metrolinx basically said "yeah ok Robbie, we'll give you Sheppard to fail on, we'll do our own thing on Eglinton".

I personally woulda preferred a BD extension to STC that connects with Sheppard but ah well

Me too, but a through-line at Kennedy solves a lot of the same issues as a B-D extension would have. The forced transfer at Kennedy is removed, and passengers have a 1-seat ride to the Yonge (or the Spadina) line. As far as I'm concerned, mission accomplished.

I'm sure the provincial Tories want to keep Rob Ford happy.

And hopefully it'll take beyond November for his Sheppard plan to crash and burn, leaving him quietly distracted.

Then again, Hudak could simply say "here's the money from Eglinton, make Sheppard happen". That would be pretty much the worse case scenario.

This news at the bottom is almost as big.

I missed this on my 1st read. I was too focused on how I got pretty much everything on my transit wishlist, minus the BRT stuff (which can be done at a later date for relatively little cost).

That's big news though. I would expect the Eglinton line would no longer be POP as well?

What's funny is that the forced transfer at Kennedy is removed in exchange for a forced transfer at Black Creek - Jane portion

Back