5.1K     0 

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto's lost its top-of-the-world status

September 6, 2010

By Brian French

Read More: http://www.torontosun.com/comment/2010/09/03/15242576.html

Back when my job was to sell Toronto, we used to have visitors just about every week from other cities in the world desperate to learn how to do the things we did the best. The French were particularly fascinated. I remember big shots from Paris Metro wanting to see how we ran such a successful transit system, others who wanted to learn how we built a retractable-roof stadium and another group who marvelled at the CN Tower. We had Russians who wanted to replicate our financial centre towers in Moscow, another group from there who wanted to examine the Stock Exchange, a third that was intrigued by our Keele Landfill and a police chief who wanted to know how we kept people from shooting each other. We had visitors from Malaysia who were interested in our architecture and a group from Cincinnati who were amazed by our mixed-income co-op communities. A group from God-only-remembers-where wanted to examine our archives system and a few others wanted to learn about land use.

But after visits to Boston and Montreal recently, I wondered how many people from other cities visit here now to see what we do well. I know many councillors travel the world to see how other cities are at doing things better than we are. But I haven’t noticed any startling improvements in city living as a result of Kyle Rae’s gallivanting, Adam Giambrone’s foreign adventures or various others trips to China. As if China does anything we should emulate. Certainly David Miller has pulled out all the stops to try and remake Hogtown in the image of his buddy Richard Daly’s Windy City. But I’ve been there, and yes their Millennium Park is nifty, but on the sunny afternoon I was there last summer, only a handful of Chicagoans were enjoying it.

I guess my point is we don’t do anything particularly well enough any more that any city official in his right mind would ever want to come here to learn our secrets. Outside of the recent flurry of pre-election announcements by the TTC as to how they are going to become more user friendly, warm and fuzzy, our transit system hasn’t significantly improved in more than two decades. David Miller’s solution to shipping our solid waste to Michigan was to continue to ship foreign waste to Michigan until we began shipping it to London.

Our public housing system is the perennial winner of the Parkdale Tenants Association Golden Cockroach Award, our new unified zoning bylaw promises to make every neighbourhood resemble either Kingston Road or Royal York Road South and, the last I heard, there is still open gang warfare on many of our streets. The last seven years of Miller leadership has not built a single thing for the city that is better, more innovative or even worthy of global attention. The change coming on Oct. 25 cannot possibly be for the worse.

Oh Brian Finch, negative Nellie!

I really don't know what's going on in the 'burbs so I can't speak to that. As for central Toronto take a look at what's happening in the Distillery District, Roundhouse, Lower/West Don Lands, Port Lands, the Waterfront from Humber Bay to Lake Ontario Park, revitalization of City Hall, a new street furniture program, bike lanes continue to expand, new geared to income/market rental units including rebuilding Regent Park, beautiful additions to the AGO & ROM, Gardiner Museum expansion, OCAD Sharp Centre, Union Station makeover/expansion, Transit City plan/Move Ontario 2020, TIFF's Bell Lightbox, Bloor Street Revitalization, new subway trains & streetcars on the way in the next few years, Maple Leaf Gardens is saved... I could go on and on but I'll leave that to others.

we used to have visitors just about every week from other cities in the world desperate to learn how to do the things we did the best.

The big Toronto banks are very busy at the moment hosting a constant stream of visitors from around the world who are marveling (and trying to emulate) our financial services industry - the best in the world.

People from other cities are always travelling. A few years ago, some people involved in Philadelphia's transit system marvelled at how our transit system has spurred a lot of development around stations.

I agree with the sentiment, though. If Toronto wants to see itself as the Canadian New York or London, or Paris, then it needs to lead in transit, urban design, and urban planning in general. Right now, it's really a mixed bag.

Hmm I went to Millennium Park in Chicago in the middle of winter (February) and there were TONS of people.

Our popular gathering places downtown such as Nathan Phillips Square are busy in the winter too, by day and night.

Hmm I went to Millennium Park in Chicago in the middle of winter (February) and there were TONS of people.

Actually when I visited it during the week it was for the most part empty ... anyway what a silly argument, not by you but the article ... judging a park / site based on his perceived 'usage' of it on the single given day you happen to visit it - when the CNE is on I find downtown not to be as crowed for example ... there are hundreds of reasons and frankly it doesn't really matter ... I'll tell you what the park has done for the city, many who live their are quite proud of it - whether they actually pay it a visit or not is another matter.
Interestingly enough there's still the 'what a waste of money' crowd there that we have here - so I guess that's a world wide phenomena.

Anyway, there's only one thing I take out of the article ... for all the debating we do ... we finally have an answer ... Toronto was a 'world class city' ... yes maybe not so much anymore ... but there you have it! We were world class! So much for all you naysayers out there :D

A third that was intrigued by our Keele Landfill...David Miller’s solution to shipping our solid waste to Michigan was to continue to ship foreign waste to Michigan until we began shipping it to London

So on one hand shipping waste to a landfill is praised and on another condemned. If Green Lane is bad, perhaps he can sell it being shipped 700 km north by rail to Kirkland lake instead - I am sure it would get more visits, for one.

a police chief who wanted to know how we kept people from shooting each other...and, the last I heard, there is still open gang warfare on many of our streets.

Clearly, someone hasn't been following stats.

Come to think of it, since the author is the Senior Development Officer at Metro Toronto Economic Development from 88 to 95 - just what "world class" things has he achieved in what's universally known as a wasted boom period of the late 80s? I certainly hope he doesn't mention SkyDome.

AoD

Last edited:
Even assuming there aren't as many travelling here to see how we do things, does this person seriously think people were only coming to Toronto for this kind of info?

"the last I heard, there is still open gang warfare on many of our streets"

total bollocks.

it should be possible to take people like Brian French to court and sue their pants off for basically LYING with a straight face.

Giant Flag Pole.

Done.

Now we can continue having intelligent conversations about the evolution of the city again.

international tourists will not come to town to see torontos historic buildings like this hotel remain, which we call it a beauty. at least, nobody wants to be killed by a falling building.

d3b79832.gif

ahaha, sorry, I almost missed this rising star:

international tourists will not come to town to see torontos historic buildings like this hotel remain, which we call it a beauty. at least, nobody wants to be killed by a falling building.

computist, I would like to hear more about your opinion of Toronto's crumbling heritage structures and whether they should be restored or bulldozed and why.

emotmunch.gif

Back