I really dislike when municipalities break up streets like this on purpose. Mississauga and Brampton did the same thing with Creditview and Second Line. They're like street grid? we don't need that.

Seem like a rather silly thing to do IMO. Why not just build the new roads to be the quieter streets; or name the new through road as the "new" Burnhamthorpe?
It's more for simplicity, even though that sounds backwards. William Halton Parkway, as you can see on the far left, curves south, and snakes its way through north Oakville, and will eventually connect with Tremaine between Dundas and the 407. It would be a lot to rename 8km of road "Old Burnhamthorpe" and have 9 kilometres of "Burnhamthorpe" covering the same east-west distance. Also for whatever reason there's a craze around naming new roads after old or dead people. William Halton has been dead since 1857 and nobody even knows what he looked like because he never had a portrait made 😅

It's more for simplicity, even though that sounds backwards. William Halton Parkway, as you can see on the far left, curves south, and snakes its way through north Oakville, and will eventually connect with Tremaine between Dundas and the 407. It would be a lot to rename 8km of road "Old Burnhamthorpe" and have 9 kilometres of "Burnhamthorpe" covering the same east-west distance. Also for whatever reason there's a craze around naming new roads after old or dead people. William Halton has been dead since 1857 and nobody even knows what he looked like because he never had a portrait made 😅
I believe he was a minor bureaucrat who worked for the provincial governor and they needed a name. There is a recent book tracing the early history of Halton, both the man the the region. Makes for interesting reading and the photos are fascinating as well.

Wanted to pop this in here, it's the new bridge for William Halton Parkway over Sixteen Mile Creek.

IMG_5163.jpg

I didn't feel like WHP needed its own thread, but if someone would like to move this into one then go for it.

Back