News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I hate the Freedom Tower design! I hope the redesign looks better. The Trump idea is a good one (WTC was awesome), though I'm skeptical it's anything more than publicity.

the Trump WTC towers are not well realized however. The sheer verticality of the curtain wall in the original towers are compromised by the squared windows and the horizontal lines. It makes the "gothic" arches at the bottom look cosmetic rather than a natural footer to the building as they were in the original.

As Samir from Office Space would say "Yes, this is HORRIBLE, this idea."

Although he offers a much more sensible alternate option; give him credit...

Trump also left room for an alternative to his plan, if tenants can't be found for the new towers. "If for some reason, it can't be built, because there is a possibility that people do not want to be in any of the buildings on the site, then what we should do is ... build a great memorial park," he said.

IMO there's a common misguided-populist school of thought btw/ rebuilding the Twins and removing the Nathan Phillips Square walkways...

Libeskind's design is fine- an elegant and thoughtful structure with certainly an attempt at being symbolic. Trump wants the bulky arrogance of the original towers back- not a surprise. :rolleyes

Ah, the twin towers. Nothing in their life became them like the leaving of it.

Hey, Toronto still has its Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre

building.jpg

Lets face it, whatever they build will become the new biggest terrorist target in the U.S. They really should just build a memorial park on the site and work on architecting a better foreign policy over a new bullseye. Most New Yorkers would agree, this Texan attitude to give the terrorists the finger is just petty and backwards thinking.

Anyone see last wee's Paul Goldberger piece in the New Yorker? He suggested that at this point, residential redevelopment's likely more advisable than office development, Freedom Tower not excepted...

I have always thought they should build a memorial on the site and leave any further developements fallow for a later age.

No, no, no!!
A memorial does NOT have to take up the whole site to be "respectful" or whathaveyou.

Just what is so evil and profane about a workplace, that we can't have one on the site?

Just what is so evil and profane about a workplace, that we can't have one on the site?

I don't think it's that...but that American society is so obsessed with money, consumerism and material possessions that a relatively small (yes, I know but extremely expensive) piece of land just MUST be used for commerical purposes and can't just be left as a memorial.

I guess it demonstrates a negative aspect (to some) of American society.

I don't view it as consumerism run amok. I view rebuilding as an act of reclaiming. Saying to the terrorists, "No, we will NOT let your actions dictate the fate of this piece of land. We will not leave this land empty at your say-so."

And what's wrong with a site combining rebuilt towers with a lovely memorial?
I often use the example of the Halifax Explosion, that levelled a good chunk of the city's north end. We rebuilt, and rebuilt quickly. Homes, schools, businesses and military facilities needed to be brought back on line ASAP. But does that mean that we disrespected our dead? NO! Quite the opposite. Our city today is a living, breathing, vibrant place. Perhaps that is the best memorial of all.

Back