News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

B

billy corgan19982

From The Globe and Mail

Mapping out a Toronto bestseller

By JAMES RUSK
Saturday, March 27, 2004 - Page M4

For the past six months, the top-selling publication at Ballenford Books on Architecture, a neat little store tucked away on Markham Street in Mirvish Village, has been a $7.95 map book produced by the Toronto Society of Architects.

TSA Guide Map: Toronto Architecture 1953-2003 shows residents and visitors alike the location of 96 notable buildings and public spaces that have been built over the past half-century in the Greater Toronto Area. The selection goes back to Peter Dickinson's Benvenuto Place in 1953 and up to Brown and Storey's Dundas Square in 2003.

There is a picture of each of the featured projects, accompanied by the name of its architect(s) and a brief quote explaining why each is important to the city.

Ballenford's Kathryn Seymour, who keeps a copy of the book tucked in her backpack, says a lot of the purchasers are tourists who come in looking for a Toronto guidebook, but architecture and building firms also have been buying it in quantity to hand out to guests to the city.

"It's unfortunate, but there's not a lot that documents Toronto architecture in terms of guidebooks," Ms. Seymour says.

Her experience with the map book is that "once people know about it, people become very interested in it. It's nice to know what's good contemporary architecture in the city."

I've been to that book store before, if I had money I'd buy 3/4 of the books in there.

I didn't notice that book when I was at Ballenford last time.

Guess it's a good time to revisit :)

GB

TSA Guide Map

If this is the book I'm thinking of, it's a gem.
Points out lots of great modern buildings around town that are usually ignored, and it's a nicely-designed document to boot.

I snuck a peek at it when I worked at KPMB... they had copies all around the office.

Re: TSA Guide Map

I had a look at the guide map, and I didn't think it was really good (OK, maybe I have a bias against my Ryerson architecture profs, many of whom are in the TSA). I already know most of the buildings, and I don't find the little blurb descriptions of each building useful.

I think the best guide on Toronto architecture is the official Doors Open book by John Sewell. It presents more than just architecture, but also historical, cultural context for each building as well. Even though not all important Toronto buildings have been featured at Doors Open or in the book, I still think it's a good read.

Re: TSA Guide Map

wylie:

There is an even better (IMO) one that is far more complete, though not up-to-dated anymore - Toronto Architecture is the name I believe.

GB

Back