News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

New York and Toronto both have the same problem with older/incompatible infrastructure and excessive costs for platform screen doors.

The MTA’s solution for now is fixed, half height barriers covering most of the platform.

I’m not quite convinced it was worth it or will be very effective, but we’ll see.

I am baffled. What problem are they hoping will be solved by this installation? The article doesn't seem to be too clear - the only reference being in this quote:

At the 191st Street station, the uptown platform barriers were installed on January 19, and the downtown platform barriers were installed on January 20.
"This is a terrific move by the MTA to increase passenger safety as well as perception of safety," said Gridlock Sam Schwartz, Longtime Transportation Engineer. "You could be sure I will be standing behind these barriers wherever they are provided."

A handful of commuters said they are hopeful that the barriers will make their travels safer.

"I think it's a great idea," one rider said. "I do that whole trick where I stand behind a pillar already, so I guess that does make sense to avoid someone pushing you," said another rider.

If the concern is about people being pushed into the tracks, I can see that being quasi effective, but only provided that the would-be victim is standing behind that barrier, and not along any other part of the platform. And I hardly see how this is a deterrant against jumpers.

New York and Toronto both have the same problem with older/incompatible infrastructure and excessive costs for platform screen doors.

The MTA’s solution for now is fixed, half height barriers covering most of the platform.

I’m not quite convinced it was worth it or will be very effective, but we’ll see.

Absurd. (the project, not you)

The wide openings mean you're not precluding suicide at all; you're far from 100% preventing a pushing incident, intentional or otherwise; and the 1/2 height means you're also doing virtually nothing to inhibit litter and the associated fire/smoke issues, when the same contacts the 3rd rail or a spark from train wheels.

It also does nothing to impair willful trespass at track level.

Finally, one look at 191st Street station, with hoarding here/there and everywhere, moribund floors and absent ceiling finishes suggests there might be other priority investments to make the subway more appealing.

Note that I am all in favour of 3/4 or full-height PEDs; but this is not that.

Last edited:
My thought was that perhaps MTA were testing how well trains would align with doors before a permanent install - perhaps they think that painted guidelines on the platforms aren’t sufficient, especially if they were also modelling passenger clumping on the platform?

If this were a permanent install it would seem a bit of a waste.

Back