News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I will say that for practical reasons I imagine Sheppard is portrayed as going to McCowan because showing it diverting to STC would be a bit messy to convey on something like a regional TMP. Line alignments are far from finalized in these after all.
Metrolinx has explicitly stated that its staying on Sheppard, and that Sheppard-McCowan is being designed with it in mind.

What provisions are being made to make it a good experience going from the new Scarborough Centre Station to Scarborough Town Centre mall? Is there an underground connection to the existing entrances or just a sidewalk?

I agree, avoiding STC would contradict the premise of UGCs in the first place, and cement it as a failed one. I chalk up a lot of STCs failures thus far is the lack of a Sheppard subway providing a connection to a more successful UGC in North York City Centre.

I will say that for practical reasons I imagine Sheppard is portrayed as going to McCowan because showing it diverting to STC would be a bit messy to convey on something like a regional TMP. Line alignments are far from finalized in these after all.

Devils advocate, there are some connectivity issues presented by going to STC ironically. Any LRT connections east of McCowan will be harder to access from Line 4, but perhaps that can be accounted for when such projects are actually underway.

Yes it contradicts a lot of things for Sheppard to bypass the Centre. Heck there's 5x as many jobs there.

Metrolinx has explicitly stated that its staying on Sheppard, and that Sheppard-McCowan is being designed with it in mind.
Well the design isn’t finalized/public for Line 4 AFAIK, and Metrolinx often changes their tune- but I digress. Do we know what this station’s design entails? If not, provisions for heading south could be included for all we know. If that’s not the case and they are just going to terminate Line 4 at Sheppard-McCowan, I’d say this is a misstep, for reasons in the post here:
Yes it contradicts a lot of things for Sheppard to bypass the Centre. Heck there's 5x as many jobs there.
It seems like a colossal waste of planning, time and money to create policies for UGCs and identify them as target nodes for transit if we bypass them for the sake of a Lines’ linearity. Sure, the intersection can handle the growth perhaps, but STC has the room and historic planning expectation built-in.

It’s probably fair to assume Line 4 will never need to go east of McCowan, and even if it does, the value of reaching STC exists now. Other lines can head east. Just because STC was not laid out in an ideal location for a continuous Sheppard line, it does need mean we should ignore it.

The only case to terminate at Sheppard-McCowan is if there is rail service introduced on CP’s mainline just north of the intersection. A VIA HFR or GO midtown Station would present enough of a reason to keep Line 4 on Sheppard.

The only case to terminate at Sheppard-McCowan is if there is rail service introduced on CP’s mainline just north of the intersection. A VIA HFR or GO midtown Station would present enough of a reason to keep Line 4 on Sheppard.
A connection with service on the CP mainline could be accomplished with a station at Sheppard/Midland.

Well the design isn’t finalized/public for Line 4 AFAIK, and Metrolinx often changes their tune- but I digress. Do we know what this station’s design entails? If not, provisions for heading south could be included for all we know. If that’s not the case and they are just going to terminate Line 4 at Sheppard-McCowan, I’d say this is a misstep, for reasons in the post here:

It seems like a colossal waste of planning, time and money to create policies for UGCs and identify them as target nodes for transit if we bypass them for the sake of a Lines’ linearity. Sure, the intersection can handle the growth perhaps, but STC has the room and historic planning expectation built-in.

It’s probably fair to assume Line 4 will never need to go east of McCowan, and even if it does, the value of reaching STC exists now. Other lines can head east. Just because STC was not laid out in an ideal location for a continuous Sheppard line, it does need mean we should ignore it.

I'm confused as to why Sheppard needs to divert south when the Danforth line is already going to STC. If someone on Sheppard wants to get to the STC, then transfer at Sheppard n McCowan and take the Danforth line one stop south.

Bringing Sheppard to STC precludes it from heading east and creating a crosstown rail link on the northern side of the city.

Scarborough doesn't start or end at McCown ppl

I'm confused as to why Sheppard needs to divert south when the Danforth line is already going to STC. If someone on Sheppard wants to get to the STC, then transfer at Sheppard n McCowan and take the Danforth line one stop south.

Bringing Sheppard to STC precludes it from heading east and creating a crosstown rail link on the northern side of the city.

Scarborough doesn't start or end at McCown ppl
Th crosstown rail link on the northern side of the city is the 407 transitway. Sheppard won't be extended east of McCowan on Sheppard. The corridor that is being intensified is Ellesmere.

What provisions are being made to make it a good experience going from the new Scarborough Centre Station to Scarborough Town Centre mall? Is there an underground connection to the existing entrances or just a sidewalk?
33835-100819.jpeg

Latest render
WZMH-Architects-Scarborough-Subway-Extension-Study-Wave-Rendering-2.jpg

Old design but gives you an idea of the environment under the green roof
33569-114543.jpg

Provision for a second entrance on Progress that could (presumably) be integrated into the neighboring STC development block and allow for a fully enclosed passage between the mall and Line 2 platforms

33835-100819.jpeg

Latest render
WZMH-Architects-Scarborough-Subway-Extension-Study-Wave-Rendering-2.jpg

Old design but gives you an idea of the environment under the green roof
33569-114543.jpg

Provision for a second entrance on Progress that could (presumably) be integrated into the neighboring STC development block and allow for a fully enclosed passage between the mall and Line 2 platforms
The design you shared is the old design from 2018.

Now the station and bus platform are completely east of McCowan.
1677817041189.png

There is no indication of any sort of connection or pathway to the mall anymore. It will be a 500m walk outdoors to get to the nearest mall entrance.
A tower opposite the station on McCown will have a second entrance to the station. But I dont think there is a path through the building to the mall either.
1677817531062.png

Last edited:
The design you shared is the old design from 2018.

Now the station and bus platform are completely east of McCowan.
View attachment 459519

There is no indication of any sort of connection or pathway to the mall anymore. It will be a 500m walk outdoors to get to the nearest mall entrance.
A tower opposite teh station on McCown will have a second entrance to the station. But I dont think there is a path through the building to the mall either.
View attachment 459521
Ah that makes sense... must've been a change when they moved to the three-stop extension. explains the large bus terminal at Shephard and McCowan too.

There could still be provisions made for an enclosed link to the mall however... I know they want to tear down the Cineplex for development. Would be easy enough to leave knockout-panels beneath the "two-towers" block
Screenshot 2022-11-21 212243.png

That looks like a SIGNIFICATNLY smaller bus terminal than whats currently there. Do they plan on rerouting a lot of bus routes to sheppard? Doesnt it make sense to have a large bus terminal at or near a major mall? The new station design isnt even connected to the mall, that makes no sense to me....

That looks like a SIGNIFICATNLY smaller bus terminal than whats currently there. Do they plan on rerouting a lot of bus routes to sheppard? Doesnt it make sense to have a large bus terminal at or near a major mall? The new station design isnt even connected to the mall, that makes no sense to me....
Yes, many routes will end at Sheppard instead, I remember reading that years ago.

Back