News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

^ It is notable that DRT wants to use the Sheppard / McCowan terminal, rather than STC terminal. If their buses serve UofT Scarborough and then use the Ellesmere bus lanes, then the STC terminal is the closest one.

Does that mean they expect the Sheppard line extension to Sheppard / McCowan, and want to go there so that their riders can continue west using the Sheppard line?

It is worth noting that the first major street west of Durham Region is Sheppard. They may be diverting away from U of T and sending all buses up Sheppard instead.

Why they would do that is beyond me but it makes sense.

It is worth noting that the first major street west of Durham Region is Sheppard. They may be diverting away from U of T and sending all buses up Sheppard instead.

Why they would do that is beyond me but it makes sense.
They’ve continually bumped up service on the 920. They’ve must have found ridership to Malvern and McCowan Station to be pretty good. From my rides on the route, yes it is very well used. I imagine a lot of people currently going to McCowan Station wouldn’t mind getting on the subway earlier at McCowan and Sheppard when it opens.

What was the benefit of going beyond STC to Sheppard? Sheppard-McCowan doesn't seem to be a destination in itself and Sheppard subway extension is decades away.

It was meant to intersect all the sheppard east bus riders so they don’t over flow the Yonge line.
That doesn't sound a good enough reason because there are buses on Steeles as well as Finch that are dumping passengers into Yonge. Also, intercepting passengers from Sheppard will further reduce the utility of an already under-utilized Sheppard subway.

That doesn't sound a good enough reason because there are buses on Steeles as well as Finch that are dumping passengers into Yonge. Also, intercepting passengers from Sheppard will further reduce the utility of an already under-utilized Sheppard subway.
Well I think this subway will eventually end up at woodside square taking care of the finch problem. But I do believe steeles is going to continue to be a bus.

There was going to be a station at McCowan and Sheppard whether Line 2 or Line 4 gets there first. Might as well build it now so we’re not stuck doing a one-stop extension in the future.
The approved Line 4 plan was to dive south of the 401, east of Agincourt.

By the time the Line 2 extension was approved in its current for, I believe it was agreed that rapid transit would continue along Sheppard in some form be it subway or LRT.
It would be one Xtra stop and one transfer to get to STC from Sheppard n McCowan, diverting the Sheppard line to STC defeats the purpose imho. Scarborough residents are typically trying to get across the city or downtown. We have a couple ways to get downtown but across the city in the north is painfully slow

The thing is, a rapid transit line along Sheppard has been planned for god knows how long at this point, and whilst early plans such as the 90s sheppard subway did have the subway dive down to STC, this hasn't been the case for a while, and every project since then (Sheppard East LRT and the current iteration of the Sheppard East Subway) has rapid transit corridors staying on Sheppard and Beyond. What this means for an SSE that goes to just STC is that it stops just short of reaching an important artery, and this is extremely obvious from mid 2010s era future subway maps:

1677371920463.png

^ Furthermore, the Sheppard / McCowan station will be beneficial for the bus routes that serve Sheppard and other areas north of the 401. They will not need to spend time crossing the 401; those bridges / underpasses often have slow traffic.

Keeping Line 4 on Sheppard is optimal since it's a major arterial. But bypassing SC raises questions. It's an Urban Growth Centre, and a Mobility Hub. It's "Scarborough Centre" after all. One would think having the line swoop towards it would be a goal. Also since that time Kennedy Commons area is seeing considerable growth. Intercepting that and using Line 3's corridor into and beyond SC seems logical and up Queen's Park's alley. I think we deserve some updates on Sheppard's plans. Been long enough.

Keeping Line 4 on Sheppard is optimal since it's a major arterial. But bypassing SC raises questions. It's an Urban Growth Centre, and a Mobility Hub. It's "Scarborough Centre" after all. One would think having the line swoop towards it would be a goal. Also since that time Kennedy Commons area is seeing considerable growth. Intercepting that and using Line 3's corridor into and beyond SC seems logical and up Queen's Park's alley. I think we deserve some updates on Sheppard's plans. Been long enough.
I agree, avoiding STC would contradict the premise of UGCs in the first place, and cement it as a failed one. I chalk up a lot of STCs failures thus far is the lack of a Sheppard subway providing a connection to a more successful UGC in North York City Centre.

I will say that for practical reasons I imagine Sheppard is portrayed as going to McCowan because showing it diverting to STC would be a bit messy to convey on something like a regional TMP. Line alignments are far from finalized in these after all.

Devils advocate, there are some connectivity issues presented by going to STC ironically. Any LRT connections east of McCowan will be harder to access from Line 4, but perhaps that can be accounted for when such projects are actually underway.

Back