5.3K     0 

A

adma

observer.guardian.co.uk/r...98,00.html

Ugly or not, our buildings shouldn't face trial by TV

Deyan Sudjic
Sunday August 14, 2005
The Observer

Gateshead's brutalist concrete highrise car park, now a urine-stained hulk, but once the unacknowledged star of Get Carter, the sharpest British gangster film ever made, has become something of a litmus test for architectural taste. It serves to provide a precise definition of the shifting borderline that divides eyesore from heritage. For my money, the film's best moment comes immediately after Michael Caine has hurled a local Geordie crime boss off the top floor. Two architects, whose presentation of a design for a new restaurant to the crime boss has been terminated by Caine's eruption, turn to each other. 'You know, something tells me we are going to have trouble getting our fees on this job', says one meditatively.
It's brilliant cinema, and succeeds in capturing the brittle glamour of a very particular moment in the modernisation of an English provincial city in the Sixties. But it doesn't make me want to join the campaign to save the structure. Nor does it make me want to vote for its celebratory dynamiting, so tastelessly promised by the makers of Channel 4's four-part series, Demolition, an architectural lynch mob, heading our way this autumn.

'Is there a building you really hate, one that makes your life a misery?' asks Demolition's website, inviting the punters to nominate contenders. 'Now Channel 4 has a solution - the winner will be demolished at the end of the series.' Ask a ridiculous question, and don't be surprised when you get a ridiculous answer. Like some ritualised annual reenactment of a civil war battle, one faction of Gateshead worthies have denounced the car park as a blot on the landscape, while an equally vociferous band of concrete obsessives say exactly the opposite.

It's a futile exercise. But those who live by the soundbite die by the soundbite. Or, in the case of George Ferguson - out-going president of the Royal Institute of British Architects who inspired the making of the series with a suggestion last year for the introduction of 'X Listing' to encourage developers to pull down bad buildings - find themselves hung out to dry. According to Ferguson, 'The series aims to kick start a national debate, about the built environment, about architecture, and how bad buildings come to be built.'

How can you seriously argue that, when heading the list of 'vile' buildings scheduled for consideration by the demolition jury, is the new Scottish parliament? The same parliament, designed by the late Enric Miralles, that is currently hot favourite to win this year's Stirling Prize as the best building in Britain. Whose life is going to be made better if the Scottish parliament is demolished? And how do Channel 4 think that they are going to demolish it anyway, should it win?

Of the buildings named so far as contenders for demolition, the parliament is just about the only one that qualifies as architecture at all. Most are wretched, cowering down-at-heel misfits free of any aesthetic ambitions. To put Northampton's bus station or the rotting Sixties office block behind London's old county hall out of its misery is like shooting fish in a barrel, and says just as little about the nature of architecture.

'Vile buildings are an affront to our senses, Demolition is about planning for a better future. This is very much a positive proposal about repairing damaged places,' says Ferguson. John Prescott, who has also been labouring under the delusion that demolition is a quick-fix solution, would say very much the same thing about the Pathfinder Project, his throwback to the scorched earth planning policies of the Sixties. He is threatening to demolish hundreds of thousands of basic but habitable homes across the north of England in the name of urban renewal.

The word is that the Department of Culture Media and Sport was so thrilled by the TV series Restoration, in which the punters were invited to vote for their favourite pile of crumbling stone and win the cash to fix it, that ministers have been busy trying to convert the heritage lottery fund to work in the same way. The idea is that the nation gets to vote on TV say, between Stonehenge's new visitor centre and the rebuilding of the Hayward Gallery. Lets hope that the glaring flaws of Demolition will persuade them to change their minds and decide that the bread and circuses approach may work as entertainment, but not as an instrument of policy making.

"Gateshead's urine-stained brutalist concrete highrise car park"

gateshead.jpg

park12.jpg

I'm not at all surprised the masses want to demolish the new Scottish parliament. 'Twas ever thus. In the 17th century the Turks used the Parthenon as a gunpowder warehouse - and the Venetians shelled it, destroying the cella, many of the sculptures, sections of the columns, and collapsing the roof.

To quote the great architectural critic Rodney Dangerfield, "No respect. No respect."

What were they ever thinking when they built that parking lot. Is this the only highrise in the area?

I have a soft spot for brutalism, which deals with honesty of materials, form, and use.

The Gateshead car park is part of their cultural history and I could see this structure being creatively adapted one day for any number of uses - commercial, residential, cultural.

And the lower parking levels of Toronto's beautiful Nightmare On Elm Street could be similarly adapted. If governments begin to give grants, to retrofit buildings to meet Kyoto targets and replace car use with public transit, anything is possible.

The car park is structurally unsound, as always seems to inevitably happen when it comes to concrete car parks (think of Pearson's old T1). Some of the levels of the parkade and the restaurant on top are already closed due to this issue; the "winner" of the contest has to be demolished anyway. What a coincidence!

For me, brutalism like this has a certain appeal... in much the same way that a car crash always leads to "rubberneckers".

Uno Prii said, "I'm very happy with the results." I believe the city has listed it as a heritage property.

Uno Prii was an artist, creating sculpture, paintings and ceramics, as well as buildings with energy and originality.

77 Elm stands apart from the whimsical swoopy buildings he's better known for. But it is part of his body of work, part of a bigger context. I think it is well thought out, and coherent unto itself.

It seems to have more in common with 50 Stephanie Street than any of his other buildings - particularly the staggered floor plan which emphasizes the apartments as modules, and the uneven roof line. This, in turn, allows him to be more sculptural and eccentric in his treatment of the surface.

There's a play of horizontals, verticals, and depth ( especially where the north east residential corner of the building comes forward ) that creates variety as you walk around it. You can see that approach in fine buildings by other architects - such as 18 Yorkville where the balconies are placed differently on all sides of the main tower.

The main sculptural effect on 77 Elm - the "sticky-out" bits - protrude from the north and south. If you stand at the corner of Elm and Elizabeth you'll see what they do: overlap and create depth. There are about six "levels" of these things, at different heights, receding from view, screening off what is beyond. As you walk across the front of the building more of it is revealed.

There are also "sticky-up" bits - on the roof for instance, and they are echoed in the parking garage. What do they remind me of - art nouveau? Charles Rennie Mackintosh maybe. There's a bony brittleness about the sticky-out and sticky-up bits that makes you feel like snapping them off.

And there's a roof garden.

The parking garage levels are visually distinct from the residences above, but are treated in a similarly sculptural way so it all ties together.

Surface decoration moulded into the concrete creates texture - narrow vertical strips on the east and west sides, contrasted with deeper horizontal moulded panels below the windows on the north and south sides.

Brutalism. Prii. Lovely.

Elm reminds me a bit of the slab on Sherbourne near Shuter. It reminds me of a similar slab off of St. Denis around Ontario in MTL.

Brutalism, at its finiest (as exemplified by the images of Paul Rudolf's work linked to above) attempts to recreate the drama of Medieval solidity, with a sculptural playfulness that is wholy contemporary, relatively speaking. The geometric forms are solid and solemn individually, but their placement highlights the degree to which structural engineering has proceeded since the days of the solid stone and rigidly geometrical early Gothic cathedrals.

I have a place in my heart for these works - they exemplify more than any (aside from the Modernist visions Niemeyer et al.) the incredible vision that architects had of architecture as a force for social change. These are buildings that DEMAND to be noticed - they do not (merely?) fit the context, they create it. Any criticism of 77 Elm has to recognize this - the building was never meant to figure into a "there", because what was there was meant to be erased and resculpted by its very presence.

A cousin to the late-Prii jagged-concrete aesthetic of 77 Elm is the base of Cooper Mills townhomes at Dundas W of Scarlett--complete with his signature...

Apart from a few newspaper articles, has anything been published on Prii's buildings?

Mrs. Prii is still around. She'd be interesting to talk to. There's an idea ...

Not that sure--though we must bear in mind that until relatively recently, Prii was held in some disdain as Toronto's premier Modernist architectural kitschmeister of the 60s and 70s.

Even now, while he deserves due (and his landmarks don't deserve disfigurement--quick, get rid of the smoked glass balconies and reinstate the metal cutouts to that Walmer Rd apt!), I get a whiff of post-modern outsider-art "overcompensation" from the pro-Prii cult. By comparison, too much of what was held in high professional esteem at the time--think Markson, Grossman, DuBois, John Andrews--stands comparatively neglected today. Insufficiently "fab", I guess.

It's also why I'm a bit torn about NYC's most Prii-esque cause celebre: Edward Durell Stone's 2 Columbus Circle. Y'know, I'm glad to support its retention, but, cheez doodles, don't make a mountain out of a molehill, supporters. (Noteworthy, too, among NYC 60s Prii-proxies are the National Maritime Union buildings by Albert C. Ledner. The one in Chelsea that's now Covenant House is a real portholed eye-popper from near and far...)

bldg1.jpg

Back