News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

D

donmillsview

www.urbanvancouver.com is what I think we need to move towards here. We have the writers, the knowledge and the skill to pull something like that off. Let's set a deadline to move away from EZBoard and get a new site up and running with blogs, forums, and more.

Anyone up for the challenge? If they can do it out there, then there is no reason we can't do something similar here.

Costs-wise, we could offer urbantoronto.ca emails for a nominal fee, blogs for a nominal fee, and I'm sure if we could gather together $600 for EZBoard that we could cover off a year of webhosting (for that money you could almost get a dedicated server.

How about it? Maybe it's time we stopped talking about doing it and made it happen.

Unknown</title>
<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>
</post>
<post>
<thread>N</thread>
<threadtitle>Urban Vancouver</threadtitle>
<threadviews>207</threadviews>
<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>
<poll></poll>

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>
</post>
<post>
<thread>N</thread>
<threadtitle>Urban Vancouver</threadtitle>
<threadviews>207</threadviews>
<poll></poll>
<username>

Unknown

</username>
<dateline>1118791140</dateline>
<title>Unknown</title>
<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Unknown</title>
</post>
<post>
<thread>Y</thread>
<threadtitle>Urban Toronto Website?</threadtitle>
<threadviews>131</threadviews>
<poll>

</post>
<post>
<thread>Y</thread>
<threadtitle>Urban Toronto Website?</threadtitle>
<threadviews>131</threadviews>
<poll></poll>
<username>rbtaylor</username>
<dateline>1097551920</dateline>
<title>Urban Toronto Website?</title>
<pagetext>Skyscrapers.com annoyed me quite a bit when they started to close off their content, and I have received no response regarding my suggestion (made a few times) that they have a cheap Educational package for non-professionals.

So, I started working on a replacement for the above category, which is far from complete but is starting to show signs of progress. It may also serve as a srarting point for an official "Urban Toronto" website.

Please don't post these outside of this board yet. I want to finish my short-term TODO list before then.

www.urbandb.com

Sapphire

The Pointe

I'm looking for volunteers to help make the process go a little faster (I intend to go through with it regardless), ranging from constructive criticism through to content editors.

Here is what I have general functionality for; but the hard part, content, is missing:
- Company portfolios
- Complexes (collection of buildings)
- Building Content
- Progress Updates (Construction and photograph history)
- An area for reference material (city documents, newpaper articles, etc.)
- Regions (GIS based POLYGON) from countries through to Neighbourhoods. Anyone know where I can buy municipal boundary data cheaply? GeoGratis data in this area is very incomplete which is the main reason the 'burbs are missing.
- Mapping capabilities (not shown on current demonstration site); since I have converted the address into Long & Lat, we can plot the results (Virtual Map!). I just haven't gotten that far yet.

Adding other content (parks? attractions? bus stops?) shouldn't be too difficult to do.

On my immediate TODO list:
- Company Summary listing
- Complex Summary listing (by region)
- Finish importing the Dabrowski database (I've been keeping tabs on the Dabrowski contributors internally within the system -- although this is not, at this time, public information).
- Have Google index the data so search actually works.

Future feature additions (if there is interest):
- Building reviews. A collection of comments and concerns at various stages as the building in question goes up.
- Who knows what else...

Issues: Cannot copy anything from skyscrapers.com. I want to ensure this is a free and public resource, and having them complaining about copyright infringement wouldn't be good. You can, of course, use the same sources and even the notes of their editors without any issues, provided skyscraper.com editors volunteer the information (Bob?).

Thoughts?

If you prefer, email me directly at urbandb@rbt.ca.

Unknown</title>
</post>
<post>
<thread>Y</thread>
<threadtitle>Where did the latest Peel thread go?</threadtitle>
<threadviews>71</threadviews>
<threadsticky>0</threadsti

</post>
<post>
<thread>Y</thread>