News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

S

spmarshall

During my brief visit to Vancouver, I got a chance to ride buses, trolley buses, Seabus, Skytrain and the West Coast Express. This will be the first Vancouver photo thread. The next threads will showcase Gastown, Chinatown, the Downtown Eastside and the Broadway strip.

Translink impressed me. They do a great job of coordinating transit, and I found the drivers to be very friendly.The Skytrain, like London's Docklands Light Railway, is ICTS done right - the Skytrains are much smaller than Toronto's subway trains, but they run less than 2 minutes during peak periods, so they manage to meet capacity fairly well. The trains are fully automated, and the system is POP.

I wouldn't bash the TTC, but Translink was the first transit system that impressed me with its reliability, cleanliness, service levels and use of transport technologies all at once.

Vancouver is getting new trolley buses, both 40 foot standard low floors and 60 foot artics. The ones they have now are showing their age, but are very quiet, ride well, and handle the hills better than diesels. Though at some intersections, the frogs and double wiring make for a crowded, and arguably ugly overhead sight.

My VIA train got into Vancouver three and a half hours late. It did give the chance to see a bit of the Fraser Canyon as well as the Lower Mainland by daylight, but reduced the amount of time I had in the city. The train ride itself through Jasper was spectacular.

The rail line passes through New Westminster and the new SkyTrain line.

VanT1.jpg

At New Westminster, there are three bridges that cross: a railway bridge, a highway bridge and to the left (unseen), the Skybridge.

Most of the highrises outside downtown Vancouver are either near the Seabus Terminal in North Vancouver, or near Skytrain stations. Even along major bus routes in the suburbs, there seems to be better transit-orientated development, with low-rise mixed use buildings say in Port Coquitlam along the 97 B-Line bus.

VanT2.jpg

Two Mark-I ICTS trains. Same technology as in Scarborough or Detroit, yet it seems to work right in Vancouver.

VanT3.jpg

My first skyline shot, taken from the Park Car on the train in the railyards to the east. The Science World dome (From Expo '86) is visible.

VanT4.jpg

Pacific Central Station, the VIA/Amtrak terminus, and also the main bus depot. The daily Amtrak train to Seattle and Portland has border pre-clearance as many airports do.

VanT5.jpg

Waterfront Station, the terminus for SeaBus, Skytrain and West Coast Express Trains.

VanT6.jpg

VanT15.jpg

I took the WCE to Coquitlam, only having to pay a top-up fare, as I had a valid pass or transfer for the regular Translink system. Imagine if GO only required a top-up with a valid TTC DayPass, Metropass or transfer.

Did I mention that WCE has a cappuchino car and a quiet (no cellphones or loud conversations) car?

VanT7.jpg

Lougheed Station on the new Skytrain line. The stations are fancy enough, but are mostly open air.

VanT8.jpg

I took a Mark II train through Surrey. The new equipment offers a great rail fan seat. Note the office/commercial development next to the Skytrain.

VanT9.jpg

Over Skybridge, the world's longest transit-only bridge.

VanT11.jpg

VanT10.jpg

On my way to Stanley Park, caught a pic of a dewired trolley bus on Granville.

VanT12.jpg

Vancouver's answer to High Park loop:

VanT13.jpg

Seabus is actually faster than I expected for a ferry service. Canada has two transit systems that use water transport as an important transit mode. The other is Halifax.

VanT14.jpg

Next: Gastown, Chinatown, the Eastside.

Finally, a photo thread with comments above the photos!

Why do Vancouver's RT trains run automatically while Scarborough's "need" drivers?

Ask the union. AFAIK Toronto SRT opertors don't usually drive, but merely operate the doors unless things aren't working properly.

There's roving Skytrain staff, who are there for security, checking tickets and are trained to operate the trains if there are ever problems, so the system is still staffed, but not at the same level as the SRT, as there are also no collectors unlike at the SRT stations.

BTW: The collector at Ellesmere Station has got to have one of the worst jobs in the TTC.

thanks, I like the commentary too. you obviously did some homework.

I think Vancouver's the trolley buses are a nice transit option. They dont pollute like the TTC's streetcars, but they are more flexible on the road. I wouldnt switch b/c I think the streetcars are a great asset for Toronto, but they are an improvement on regular busses.

"AFAIK Toronto SRT opertors don't usually drive"

No...but they do often eat soup for lunch. Can subway drivers claim that?

"BTW: The collector at Ellesmere Station has got to have one of the worst jobs in the TTC."

Midland station would be much worse - it's almost as lonely but the smell of wet rotting cardboard from the recycling plant next door wafts in continuously to keep you company.

Thanks for the great tour. Even though Vancouver really isn't my kind of town, they really do a lot of things right in that city. One of my favorite buildings in Canada is the ferry terminal building....it's just as beautiful inside as it is outside.

Back