News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Isn't the water issue usually to do with the reserves? Even if things go well I hear often there are no qualified people to run them as they go down south for better opportunities
If people leave because they don‘t enjoy the amenities and job opportunities which virtually all other Canadians can (rightly) take for granted, why should we blame them and not those policy makers which allocate the resources which are used to decide where living conditions and economic prospects are improved and where they stay as miserable (and unworthy of a „rich country“) as they are?

It is really a shame that this excellent article (and I‘m really not a fan of the Toronto Star, usually) is hidden behind a paywall, but it‘s well worth the $4 for a 2-month trial to read how certain comparatively large (1000+ inhabitants) First Nation communities are denied paved roads, mould-free school buildings and cell-phone reception, whereas smaller non-indigenous communities nearby are of course provided with such luxuries:

Honestly, I don‘t know what‘s more pathetic: how we treat the people who‘s land and resources we stole or how we have the audacity to keep a straight face while blaming them for their misery we are perpetuating by systematically depriving them of resources…?

Anyways, I digress…

Last edited:
If people leave because they don‘t enjoy the amenities and job opportunities which virtually all other Canadians can (rightly) take for granted, why should we blame them and not those policy makers which allocate the resources which are used to decide where living conditions and economic prospects are improved and where they stay as miserable (and unworthy of a „rich country“) as they are?

It is really a shame that this excellent article (and I‘m really not a fan of the Toronto Star, usually) is hidden behind a paywall, but it‘s well worth the $4 for a 2-month trial to read how certain comparatively large (1000+ inhabitants) First Nation communities are denied paved roads, mould-free school buildings and cell-phone reception, whereas smaller non-indigenous communities nearby are of course provided with such luxuries:

Honestly, I don‘t know what‘s more pathetic: how we treat the people who‘s land and resources we stole or how we have the audacity to keep a straight face while blaming them for their misery we are perpetuating by systematically depriving them of resources…?

Anyways, I digress…
We should ensure that all communities, regardless of who lives there has safe water.

You can train people for the operation and maintenance, but the problem with those contracts is they tend to not want to do that as the companies don't get more money.The military owns water treatment plants that can fin on an airplane and can be put anywhere in the world and make safe drinking water.

We should ensure that all communities, regardless of who lives there has safe water.

You can train people for the operation and maintenance, but the problem with those contracts is they tend to not want to do that as the companies don't get more money.The military owns water treatment plants that can fin on an airplane and can be put anywhere in the world and make safe drinking water.
Yes we should. I don't want to spin this thread of more than it has, but the issues on remote FNTs are not impossible, but extremely expensive, to solve. I won't apologize for the snail's pace of progress/rectification by this government or any of its predecessors but, as always, there are often many sides to many stories.

I've been to Cat Lake, and many others like it, many times, but many years ago. By the looks of the photos in the article, not much has changed.

Regarding water systems, once a system is installed, the goal is to have local community members trained to operate them. Repairs are another issue. A CAF 'DART' system isn't the answer; it requires active operators and isn't designed for a distributed system; point-of-use only.

Why are VIA at Sudbury and Sudbury Junction not connected?
To volunteer just five reasons:
1) because there is no direct track connection between the two stations without at least one change of direction
2) because the timetables for both services don‘t allow for sensible connections between the SUDB-WHTR service and the Canadian
3) because barely anyone transfers between the two services
4) because even if the SUDB-WHTR train was extended to Sudbury Junction, a taxi would be at least 30 minutes faster
5) because there is no funding to provide a service extension which would create virtually zero additional revenues

Last edited:
To volunteer just five reasons:
1) because there is no direct track connection between the two stations without at least one change of direction
2) because the timetables for both services don‘t allow for sensible connections between the SUDB-WHTR service and the Canadian
3) because barely anyone transfers between the two services
4) because even if the SUDB-WHTR train was extended to Sudbury Junction, a taxi would be at least 30 minutes faster
5) because there is no funding to provide a service extension which would create virtually zero additional revenues
You forgot:

They are on 2 different railroad lines. One is CP and the other is CN. Although they share connections, there is not a direct way to connect to the 2.

On the TRTO->WDON right now. I’m shocked at how rough the ride is. It’s like being on a plan with constant turbulence. Makes it obvious how far we have to go in order to be ready form HSR.
Are you in one of the HEP cars? It's mostly the trains. I find the LRC to be much better ride. The Siemens are apparently even better.

The old HEPs seem to have really bad shocks, or whatever you call it on a train.

Back