News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

http://www.news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2010/06/largest-transit-expansion-in-waterloo-history.html

Ontario is providing the Region of Waterloo with $300 million to build rapid transit.

The project would be the largest single investment in transit infrastructure in the history of Waterloo region and includes light rail transit in both Waterloo and Kitchener, and bus rapid transit in Cambridge.

These transit improvements will:

* better connect the cities of Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge

* link to Grand River Transit and park and ride facilities

* connect to future GO Transit services.

This investment is expected to create about 3,000 jobs and economic opportunities for local businesses. It will also increase public transit use, reduce gridlock, improve air quality and build a stronger community.

Investing in public transit is part of the McGuinty government's Open Ontario plan to strengthen our economy by creating more jobs and opportunities for growth.

Coltaine79: Yeah, light rail partly through King Street in Waterloo/Kitchener, then BRT through Cambridge, potential route map here: http://rapidtransit.region.waterloo.on.ca/maps.html

So jealous... :p

I live in London which has a population similar to K/W... we're denser yet they get rapid transit money? :confused: Either way congrats K/W, hope it all goes well!

Although I wouldn't be celebrating just yet. McGuinty has a way of pledging a lot of money for transit and then taking it way just before projects get started. Let's just hope it doesn't happen this time. :)

Last edited:
I would not call their stuff rapid transit, but simply transit.

I live in London which has a population similar to K/W... we're denser yet they get rapid transit money? :confused: Either way congrats K/W, hope it all goes well!

Does London even have a rapid transit plan? :p

And even though it may be at grade, the system is planned to have signal priority and larger stop spacing than the Bloor-Danforth. It may not be as rapid as HRT, but it will certainly be rapid. (Transit City this is not)

My advocacy group, Save-our-Waterloo-Subway (SOWS), is working on a plan that would see these funds used to build a 1 kilometre stretch of RAPID TRANSIT subway through the downtown core.

Great news. So, when do shovels hit the ground?

IMO, they should add more stops and fix the silly routing in Uptown Waterloo.

The region's backgrounder indicates a total capital cost for this project of $790 million. Who is expected to pay the remainder and when?

Last edited:

Although I wouldn't be celebrating just yet. McGuinty has a way of pledging a lot of money for transit and then taking it way just before projects get started. Let's just hope it doesn't happen this time. :)
I'm hoping that places like London will start to see some money for RT. Unfortunately, there's just so much to do. Our infrastructure's been degrading so much that it's a daunting task for the entire province to even get the GTA's transit up to par, let alone London, Hamilton, K-W, Niagara, and maybe Kingston and Windsor.

Well K-W tends to get in the news more often than other Ontario communities of similar size/population.... you have to admit they do "punch above their weight"... I guess it's an unfair advantage they've got a world-class science/engineering university there, which tends to pull off stunts like... somehow manage to recruit Stephen Hawking (sorta) ;)

I've been in lots of mid-size Ontario towns (sorry, "cities") and while I like visiting most of them, I don't think I'd want to live in any of them. Except for Waterloo. Nice vibe.

Whatever Mr. Anti-LRT.

Wtf dude, I see some sense in trams - especially in such small places. It might work out quite well over especially because their population is a lot smaller than Toronto's. Lets just pray that they make their thing grade separated, as in Calgary.

My advocacy group, Save-our-Waterloo-Subway (SOWS), is working on a plan that would see these funds used to build a 1 kilometre stretch of RAPID TRANSIT subway through the downtown core.

How many tunnel stops will that be? 3?

Back