News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Antiloop33rpm

I am currently working on a website which will ready to go online in a month or two. I have never hosted a website before and am looking for recommendations on cheap hosting needs and domain registration. The site will not be a huge bandwidth user being mostly text and moderate graphics so my main concern is a host that is reliable and provides generous bandwidth each month. Speed is less of an issue since the pages are not designed to be large in size so that uploading times will be short on even lower speed connections.

If anyone has any recommendations it would be appreciated.

Re: Unknown

I'm with DreamHost. Since signing up with them a year ago, my disk space and bandwidth has tripled, and just today they announced that disk space and bandwidth will grow by 1 gig for every week that I'm with them and (bless their hearts :lol ) they've back dated me to the date I signed up on.

www.dreamhost.com/shared/comparison.html

I'm on Crazy Domain Insane (level 1) 90USD a year, I originally signed up and got 800meg disk space and 40GB bandwidth, I now have 3200mb disk space and 170GB bandwidth :eek

The referral scheme is excellent and could be a way Urban Toronto could help out with a new server if they wanted to ditch EzBoard: you select the 10%/5% option. Which means for every referral you set up and the person who signs up actually states that it was you who gave them the referral, you get 10% of what they pay - taken off your next bill, for every person they refer to themselves, you get 5% of what they pay.

excellent uptime and very very good bandwidth (to Australia which is critical for me, not so much for you guys).

www.dreamhost.com/rewards.html

www.godaddy.com for cheap domain registration and hosting. $8.95 US per year for .com registration and $3.95 US per month for basic hosting.

For .ca registration, check out www.namespro.ca. Only $12.88 CDN per year.

Also for hosting, check out www.lunarpages.com. $7.95 US per month for 40GB transfer and 3GB storage. Way more than you'll need.

I use all three mentioned companies with good success. No complaints at all. If you decide to go the Lunarpages route, let me know because I think I'm entitled to a referral reward. :D

I am considering buying some webspace and have been looking at www.bluehost.com/index.html

6.95 (US?) / month
4GB of webspace
100GB of monthly transfer

It is linux hosting so that means no ASP etc. It looks like really good value for the money, but I do not have personal experience with them.

I'm looking for something with similar value, but that includes a .ca domain registration with the webhosting. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good PHP/mySQL weblog software? I have been thinking about using wordpress.org/ or b2evolution.net/

I would think that hosting urban toronto on something like that might be cheaper than ezBoard, and there is lots of open source forum software out there.

I run several small websites, including one using Google sites and it works surprisingly well. The only drawback has been the length of the URL but I just registered a "real" URL for it so that it will have an easier to remember and write URL The new URL in essence gets forwarded to the Google sites one. (Registering the URL was ca $55 for 5 years.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back