News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

How do all these European cities survive without so-called "centralised employment"? Certainly they manage to have good transit service without everyone working in a downtown core.

European cities happen to be very centralized. Just their downtowns and inner cities cover a larger land area.
Downtown Paris alone is home to over 900,000 workers.

Its common knowledge among transit systems that a common destination works the most for transit. And that multiple centres can not be served as well with transit.

If you shut down downtown Toronto and had no one work there, etc. You would see TTC ridership drop so far down it would not be funny. Downtown is what keeps TTC ridership growing. Its the only place suburbanites will take transit to.

Now, I've only been to Paris half a dozen times or so, but I have never, ever heard any part of it described as downtown. Do you mean La Defense? The area around L'Etoile? La Place de la Concorde? The Left Bank? La Place des Voges? La Bastille? Ile de la Cite? Do please tell me where this "downtown Paris" can be found. I'd like to see it sometime.

I used to live in Parkland in Calgary and I had bus service go by my door 2 months after I moved in considering this area was still under construction. Has TTC or any other city in the GTA done this? NO.

Even with transit at my front door, I work where there was no transit.

CT like TTC and other transit systems fail to see their short sightless for off peak time.

CT wants to expand their C-Train faster than what they are doing but lack the funds to do so. The current extension was quick started by 3-5 years? with the funding of $600 million from the government late last year.

CT has the lowest cost recovery of the top 10 transit system in Canada.

TTC can learn a number of things from other transit systems if they open their eyes and ears.

Why is it that TTC still is providing service over 30 minutes today when it should be looking at 20 minutes or less 7 days a week?

One only has to go back to what the ridership was in the 90's to what there is today to see TTC lacks the vehicles to provide the service that is needed today.

It was stated today TTC is short 20 buses and the GM are failing a lot faster than plan for. TTC is only going to look at getting 25 additional buses next year and each year after as addition to the fleet and this is on top of the 100 ridership growth buses coming in 2007.

It was stated today that TTC has to look at 3% increase a year not the 1% that is done today by a commissioner. By doing so, TTC will see 569 million riders by 2015, not the 475 million.

If one does the math, TTC is either going to have to buy a few hundred buses more to meet this increase or start build the 500km of new LRT lines I have call for over the next 25 years at a cost of $6 Billion with York Region picking up $600 million for 40km for 4 lines going into them.

Sorry to say Downtown Toronto does not work as you need other centers.

You would need building 100 floors or more buildings in each block of the whole downtown center to hold all the people you want to work in the core. Were are you going to build thing as not everyone works in an office?

Having said that, how many subways do you want going the center of Toronto and are you prepared to go broke to build these lines?

What CT has now is away lot better than when I live there.

Can we quit it with these silly city pissing contests?

Comparing transit systems? These are all different cities, for crying out loud!

I could care less if mike posts another hundred reasons as too why Toronto is shit in comparison to some other mediocre North American city. But can we at least keep them all too a single thread? This thread could easily be part of the discussion about Encana, or Detroit, or Phoenix or wherever else has been put up on a pedestal this week.

I did not say Toronto is crap compared to other cities. All I am pointing to is things we can learn from other places.

Because if we don't start coming up with ideas on how to better things in Toronto then we will turn to crap.

We are still living off the planning of 30 years ago that actually had people who thought outside the box, etc.

We have done almost nothing in the last little while to keep the legacy of a vibrant Toronto going.

Theres nothing wrong with looking at other places and learning some things and adapting their style to fit with ours to make a great city.

Theres nothing wrong with looking at other places and learning some things and adapting their style to fit with ours to make a great city.

No there isnt anything wrong with that. But each city does not need its own thread when the point is almost the exact same other than a different city name and different transit livery.

We have done almost nothing in the last little while to keep the legacy of a vibrant Toronto going.

What rock have you been living under? Toronto has problems, that is true, just as all Canadian cities do right now. But Toronto could be pointed out as an example of a North American city that has been undergoing positive change in the last decade. Most of the problems the city is facing arent because its a dying city, its because its growing so fast (both Toronto proper and the GTA) and this is largely what has been leading to the problems we are now trying to deal with.

We are still living off the planning of 30 years ago that actually had people who thought outside the box, etc.

You can't seriously believe this, can you?

Check out this Calgary transit report:
www.calgarytransit.com/ht...opment.pdf

I'm not 100% sure, but Calgary seems to run express buses to downtown in corridors that are slated to receive LRT lines in the future. The LRT expansion plans are ambitious - 3 additional radial lines are planned - though who knows what will happen to transit and development when Calgary runs out of room to grow (and this will happen very soon) and the surrounding rural municipalities start turning into real sprawlburbs.

"But can we at least keep them all too a single thread?"

You seem to love posting and complaining in each and every single one of them...

Mike needs to stop constantly creating these ridiculous "Calgary/Detroit is better than Toronto in every single way" threads.

Why? Then site traffic might actually fall to Detroit levels ;)

In terms of population, Calgary region is 1/8th the size. Its like, Mississauga + 33%. Think of the difference in per capita transit funding. If they could convert smog into energy and we could resell it back to the US, we too bring it up to those levels.

Back