News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

3Dementia

For Allah's sake... surely if we can put a man and a woman in a space shuttle that lands safely on earth...

... we can come up with a high pitched dog/bird whistle that will stop the suicides.

I suspect that changing light (ala Bay Adelaide programmed LEDs) might in fact freak the birdies out enough that they don't want to smash into the building (no doubt they'll choose the TD Centre instead).

I don't know the science or if my theory is correct... but if it is, we'll have to light the entire city (at 15% of the other illumination costs) to save our feathered friends.

Win, win. Surely there's something better than a stick-on silhouette of a hawk.

Hmmm. Howzabout people employed to yell "turn left," "turn right" at the on-coming birdies. Or swinging the stick-hawk and yelling "he'll kill you if you come near this tower."

I'm still trying to figure out how the birds see the buildings when they are dark.

"I suspect that changing light (ala Bay Adelaide programmed LEDs) might in fact freak the birdies out enough that they don't want to smash into the building (no doubt they'll choose the TD Centre instead)."

Easy on the bud my friend :smokin :p

I think there is some experimentation in Europe with glass and ultra violet-light. Birds have much different vision than primates. Indeed birds of prey can see minute movememet on the ground from a 1000 feet- in order to catch mice, snakes etc. Ultraviolet light is invisible to humans, but glows brilliantly for most birds so ther is some experimentation with this. For those who care- there is something being done.

Humans are primates according to western biology. But I'm open minded :b

Lest we forget
bush-chimp.jpg

^You realize that such imagery will piss off the primates.

adma sharing the above BUSH/chimp comparision-pic made this CNN "BREAKING NEWS" alert I just received --umm.. well, BUSHuesque.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!

Sender: BreakingNews@MAIL.CNN.COM
Subject: CNN Breaking News
To: TEXTBREAKINGNEWS@CNNIMAIL12.CNN.COM

-- President Bush's policy in Iraq "is not working," the Iraq Study Group said in releasing its long-awaited report.

Watch LIVE video coverage now on CNN Pipeline. Access at CNN.com. CNN - The most trusted name in news.

>+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Watch "Anderson Cooper 360" tonight at 10 ET to get the location
code for a chance to win a trip to NYC and go behind the scenes
of the show. Then enter the "AC360" Takes You Live sweepstakes
here: www.CNN.com/AC
>+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

*sigh*

Humans are primates according to western biology. But I'm open minded

I was thinking more like well-heeled cave dwellers. That feels right to me. At least to the males of the species.

These buildings are for the birds

With activists and their exhibit of 2,500 carcasses in attendance, city unveils guidelines for bird-friendly towers

by Theresa Boyle
May 4, 2007

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/210356

On the day Toronto released new "bird-friendly" development guidelines, an animal rights group announced it recovered 5,461 birds – a record number – that had collided with buildings last year.

"It's extremely sad because it's very much preventable," Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone told a news conference yesterday.

Pantalone released a 42-page document, containing guidelines for architects and developers on how to design bird-friendly buildings.

Among the recommendations are using less reflective glass, covering windows with film to mute reflections, installing awnings and overhangs and installing lights in such as way as to reduce light pollution.

Pantalone said he'd like the guidelines to eventually become mandatory.

"I suspect that in a handful of years or so a lot of the green Toronto development standards are going to switch from the voluntary to the obligatory," he said.

The news conference was held in the rotunda of Metro Hall where the group FLAP (Fatal Light Awareness Program) had on exhibit 2,500 birds that had died last fall after flying into buildings.

More than 600 birds have been picked up so far this year.

"It's mind-boggling," said Michael Mesure, of FLAP, noting that many of the birds were collected around office buildings in the downtown core.

FLAP has been recovering birds since 1993 and every year the number goes up. In 1995, 4,690 birds were recovered.

Mesure said the growing number of FLAP volunteers only partially explains the increase.

"It's also because there are more structures out there for these birds to be colliding with. As urban sprawl continues, the issue is going to continue heightening if we don't nip it now," he said.

Of all the birds recovered, only 40 per cent are eventually released into the wild. About 4 per cent have to be euthanized and the remainder are dead at the time of recovery.

Of those released into the wild, many first spend time at the Toronto Wildlife Centre recovering from injuries.

"The most common form of trauma is head trauma," Mesure said, noting that brain hemorrhaging is the most common cause of death.

Other injuries include broken beaks and feather damage.

FLAP says it recovers only a small portion of birds killed after colliding with buildings in the city and estimates that number is 1 million annually.

Hitting buildings is "one of, if not the leading cause of bird decline across North America," Mesure said.

He said he was thrilled with the city's new guidelines, but said that in order for them to be widely adopted people will have to change their tastes.

"The challenge is that aesthetics are so important to people, to corporate and residential communities. ... We're used to glass that is shiny or clear or mirrored. Sadly, to deal with this problem we have to change our mindset," he said.

Steve Dupuis, chief executive officer of the recently merged Greater Toronto Home Builders' Association/Urban Development Institute, bristled at the idea of making the guidelines mandatory. Many developers are building greener products on their own accord and forcing them to do so isn't necessary, he said.

"There is a lot of frustration in the development and building industry right now. ... We're all getting greener but whatever the industry does (voluntarily) becomes the benchmark for mandating a program," he said.

"Does cost have any bearing on any decisions? ... It (would) be mandated at a level that's probably way beyond the market demand," he added.

"The challenge is that aesthetics are so important to people, to corporate and residential communities. ... We're used to glass that is shiny or clear or mirrored. Sadly, to deal with this problem we have to change our mindset," he said.

Yes. Yes I am.

Rather than redesign the whole city, couldn't we just set up a hatchery, out on the spit or somewhere? We're only talking about replacing a few thousand bird casualties a year after all. People with balconies could offer foster home nesting sites; pigeons, for example, return year after year once they find a nesting site they like. Little chicks can be kinda cute.

This whole bird problem is nonsense. Do we know for sure that birds hit windows because the light is on inside the building? Have they done studies to see if lighting the exterior of the buildings might help birds see what they are flying toward?

They might make a new kind of street meat - after all, aren't we looking for new suggestions? The City could gather them up each morning and vendors with little carts could sell them to tourists at inflated prices: crunchy little bites drenched in Armagnac and fried up like ortolans, eaten beneath a head-covering cloth.

We have to change our mindset such that aesthetics are unimportant and glass is not shiny, clear or mirrored? :D Maybe opaque windows which are completely ugly will help.

Back