News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Study finds GTA homebuyers prefer walkable hoods: Toronto Star

The 2014 Home Location Preference Survey, being published Wednesday, confirms that the vast majority of home buyers — 81 per cent — would choose less car-dependent neighbourhoods over big lawns and extra bedrooms — if cost were not a factor.

Seniors and adults aged 18 to 35 were most likely to prefer more walkable, transit-oriented locations. Those respondents said they would pay more to live in that kind of neighbourhood even if it meant downsizing their home.

Two years ago, most large families said they wanted a big house and yard regardless of cost, said Pembina’s Ontario director, Cherise Burda. Now, they’re more willing to give up some space to be closer to conveniences.

That change, she said, shows “people are frustrated with having to take such long commutes, and the trade-offs (in terms of smaller homes) may be worth that,” she said.

Just a thought: Are developers thinking about millennials? Or is their planning based on outdated notions?

Has the ranking of the Six Points neighbourhood (Kipling-Bloor-Dundas) improved today? After all the road construction and before development?

1640997694174.png
From link.

Last edited:
Emoji'd out my address but near Eglinton & Glen Erin (which actually got slightly better numbers than my address lol)

Screenshot_20220214-211215_Chrome.jpg

My place at Sumach and Carlton did well.

Walk Score of 353 Sackville Street Toronto ON Canada
Transit Score of 353 Sackville Street Toronto ON Canada
Bike Score of 353 Sackville Street Toronto ON Canada

Though I disagree with the Transit Score. One often delayed ROW-free streetcar line and a 20 min walk to the closest one line subway is hardly worth 2% short of perfection.

And excellent bike lanes? Are they mad? There's not a single bike lane in Cabbagetown, in fact all the bike lanes seemingly avoid CT entirely, Gerrard St, bikes lanes before east of River St and west of Parliament, but in CT? Nope. Meanwhile the predominance of one way streets within CT require cyclists to either break the law by going the wrong way or take ridiculous circuitously long routes from one part of the neighbourhood to the other.

Last edited:
Meanwhile my place, a ten minute walk to the GO/UP station, a three minute walk to the subway, and a one-minute ride to the Bloor bike lanes, gets a transit score of 94 and a bike score of 80. I've more or less given up on extracting any meaning from the transit and bike scores.

Though I disagree with the Transit Score. One often delayed ROW-free streetcar line and a 20 min walk to the closest one line subway is hardly worth 2% short of perfection.
If you look at the numbers, it's also a 20-minute walk to Sherbourne, Castle Frank, and Broadview! I don't know how the algorithm works though.

71, very walkable, for Beyond the Sea in Humber Bay Shores (It scores even higher in the weird name department.) but the site doesn’t seem to know anything at all about what’s in the neighborhood. Just one example: it thinks the nearest park is on Grand Ave, north of the railroad tracks. it does not know that the entrance to the Humber Bay park system is right across Lake Shore Blvd!

Last edited:
Bay and Charles. A rather low bike score, but I sold my bike back in 1987, when I arrived in Toronto, because I value my life. In Québec City, it was a somewhat safer mode of transportation, but I lived on rue d'Auteuil, which was too steep even for 23-year-old me.

Capture d’écran 2023-03-10 141127.png

Bay and Charles. A rather low bike score, but I sold my bike back in 1987, when I arrived in Toronto, because I value my life. In Québec City, it was a somewhat safer mode of transportation, but I lived on rue d'Auteuil, which was too steep even for 23-year-old me.

View attachment 460915

Interesting. Jarvis & Charles gets a 99 for Bikeable despite being about a 2 minute bike ride away.

Back