9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

turbanplanner

Member Bio
Reaction score
I noticed that it seems each of the former cities in Toronto label poles differently, I noticed there are almost no concrete poles labelled in Etobicoke!

I'm curious why this is, and seems to continue to this day even in new installations.

Before amalgamation, each of the former municipalities {York, East York, North York, Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough} had their own electric utility and their own way to assign an ID to assets. With amalgamation these were combined into the current THESL but asset IDs were not changed / unified. This is also the case with other amalgamated utilities - I recently built a system to continue issuing asset IDs for Alectra that continues the 5 different asset ID schemes from their constituent utilities.

I suspect that most concrete poles belong to the City of Toronto and primarily support street lights. Perhaps they don't issue specific IDs to their poles, relying on geographic coordinates for unique identification?

Before amalgamation, each of the former municipalities {York, East York, North York, Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough} had their own electric utility and their own way to assign an ID to assets. With amalgamation these were combined into the current THESL but asset IDs were not changed / unified. This is also the case with other amalgamated utilities - I recently built a system to continue issuing asset IDs for Alectra that continues the 5 different asset ID schemes from their constituent utilities.

I suspect that most concrete poles belong to the City of Toronto and primarily support street lights. Perhaps they don't issue specific IDs to their poles, relying on geographic coordinates for unique identification?

The City of Toronto sold its streetlights to Toronto Hydro (of which the City is the sole shareholder) in a dubious budgetary slight of hand, back in the Miller era.

I would imagine that included the poles.

Thanks! Good point on the owned by the city part.

My assumption was that for whatever reason 90% of the time they’re across from a labelled wooden pole. It sucks tor reporting lights out when the poles are all concrete and there’s no east way to differentiate them.

The weird part is even now if a new one is added, they still don’t label them in Etobicoke

Back