News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I have it on very reliable authority it's on.

I want to be at the opener so bad. And many games thereafter. It will probably be cheaper to buy season tickets and fly there for every game than to buy tickets to a few Leaf games at the ACC!

Assuming it goes through the conference realignment should be interesting. Atlanta/Winnipeg makes sense in the West, but once you start looking at the divisions there's a few more teams that could get moved around. And then the league has to look at how stable the current franchises are, since it doesn't make sense to do a major realignment now if they're expecting more teams to be on the move over the next few years.

^ I heard the NHL won't make any alignment changes until 2012-13 at the earliest, and one idea floating around is to go to 3 divisions of ten teams, with wild card teams, and more teams in the playoffs. How exactly that might work I don't know.

Everyone: Are the Winnipeg Jets back?

This will be the second time Atlanta has lost an NHL team to central Canada...

Remember that the Calgary Flames originally were the Atlanta Flames...

WPG is a city that in my opinion should have never lost its NHL franchise...

I now wonder about the fate of our own NY Islanders franchise because owner Charles Wang wants a new building to replace the Nassau Coliseum or the team may move...there is a referendum scheduled for a vote later this year in Nassau County to authorize
a smaller scale development then the Lighthouse Complex which will include a new arena...and mentioned that taxpayers will have to foot part of this bill up front for future repayment I believe...

If this referendum fails will the Islanders move? It could happen...LI MIKE

If this referendum fails will the Islanders move?
I'm not sure there are any more destinations that have an available arena, a willing buyer, and no territorial issues. If things get worse (and they may), the league is going to have to look at contracting teams. I think the NBA is already considering that option.

I now wonder about the fate of our own NY Islanders franchise because owner Charles Wang wants a new building to replace the Nassau Coliseum or the team may move...there is a referendum scheduled for a vote later this year in Nassau County to authorize a smaller scale development then the Lighthouse Complex which will include a new arena...and mentioned that taxpayers will have to foot part of this bill up front for future repayment I believe...

If this referendum fails will the Islanders move? It could happen...LI MIKE

The Isles by there agreement with the Rangers have to stay on long island... and guess what? There is a brand new arena going up in Brooklyn that is 100% NHL suitable (very early renderings showed the Devils logo. and last year they confirmed they are building it with hockey in mind...). I have no doubt that if the referendum fails, Brooklyn will be getting its second crack at a NHL team.

The Isles by there agreement with the Rangers have to stay on long island... and guess what? There is a brand new arena going up in Brooklyn that is 100% NHL suitable (very early renderings showed the Devils logo. and last year they confirmed they are building it with hockey in mind...). I have no doubt that if the referendum fails, Brooklyn will be getting its second crack at a NHL team.

Kitsune: Thanks for the reply-the new arena in Downtown Brooklyn for the NBA Nets can easily accomodate a NHL team should this coming Nassau County referendum fail...

For Nassau County's own information concerning the Nassau Hub/Coliseum project see:
www.nassaucountyny.gov/HUB.htm

In closing could we see the Brooklyn Islanders? LI MIKE

NJ is not going anywhere, they have a brand new state of the art arena. NYI will not move out of the area. Mainly because they have one of the best TV contracts. Despite their attendance woes they're not in financial trouble.
Another city that can accomodate a team is Kansas City. It's a good hockey market and imo would be better than Quebec. There's also Seattle that has expressed a desire for an NHL team. If Toronto could get a second team a see no reason for Seattle not getting one.

NJ is not going anywhere, they have a brand new state of the art arena. NYI will not move out of the area. Mainly because they have one of the best TV contracts. Despite their attendance woes they're not in financial trouble.
Another city that can accomodate a team is Kansas City. It's a good hockey market and imo would be better than Quebec. There's also Seattle that has expressed a desire for an NHL team. If Toronto could get a second team a see no reason for Seattle not getting one.

I think Seattle would be an interesting city for hockey.

Well no, they had a pre-sale for Manitoba Moose season ticket holders first. It was only the remaining tickets that went on sale Saturday and sold out quickly

Jim Balsillie must be fuming. Now that every region except Atlantic Canada has a NHL team there is little chance he'll ever get his coveted team in Hamilton. Maybe the Nordiques will come back one day, since Ontario has two teams, so why not Quebec, but Hamilton is finished now that Winnipeg is back.

Anything that pisses Bettman off makes me happy, and moving the Thrashers out of the Sun Belt must really get his goat. The fact that a New York lawyer who has no background or stake in the game runs the sport is an insult to hockey fans, and his attempts to push markets where the snow never hits the ground are pathetic, yet he stubbornly plows on, regardless of reality slapping him in the face. Next stop, Phoenix--Go Nords!

Back