News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

WFMCC.Toronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
UNESCO world Heritage site in the CNE -
Worlds' First Modern Concentration Camp Site The British Fort "Stanley Barracks" was a federal fort right into "modern" times, the 1950's. There is no Canadian law to protect former fort sites such as the Stanley Barracks. In 1914 the Worlds" FIRST Modern Concentration Camp was invented, constructed and operated inside this Federal fort. A few years later when the city ran out of victims, the concentration camp operation was closed and the wiring/fencing/towers dismantled.

Reflective Complex Competition

In the history of our Toronto, this local invention has impacted the lives of innocent peoples all around the planet. A competition for this unique UNESCO World Heritage Site candidate, the best one that Toronto can offer, is now appropriate.

World Citizens are invited to examine this first concentration camp, its' morphology, and conceptualize the form of a reflective Centre/complex. The Gestault of those individuals that recognize this former concetration camp site as a site not to be desecrated will motivate them to creativity. Moral and ethical concerns should be self-evident, especially to those with a world perspective. Strong moral strength will propel you to respond to this challenge. You will not be deflected by the detractors of the last 90 plus years. The forthcoming 100th Anniversary of this site can be a focus. The use of this vile Toronto-originated technology to facilitate human despair and genocide world-wide in the last 90 plus should receive consideration.
Due to the fast track of the above Toronto approval process, preliminary concepts are encouraged.
Those with the potential to be Sponcers, Contributers and contributers of expertice are encouraged to make contact.
We look forward to the ethical and moral amongst us, stepping forward with appropriate WORLD CLASSproposals for dealing with this unique endangered world history site.
The time is appropriate.
Co-Chairman

Actually, I would support some kind of appropriate commemoration there. (Typos in WFMCC.Toronto's post notwithstanding.) Certainly, it suggests that a little First-Nations-burying-ground kid gloves are necessary, if the pre-existence of the New Fort didn't already suggest it...

Hello:
Exact Location of the Concentration Camp site. Do you have specific information about the exact location? Back in 1996, I deputized to the City and City Council instructed the CNE, in a motion, to determine the exact historic location on the concentration camp site.
This instruction has been pointedly ignored. In fact, this specific point of fact was raised in the September and October meetings. Does any one have access to the minutes of these two minutes?
The concentration camp site is small in area ( comparitively). However it may have been expanded or contracted over its functional life. The towers also are not historically located.
Does anyone have access to the archeological report(s)?
Thanks.
Co-Chair

Is there a more visible spot in Urban Toronto to post item (#94)? The item may need more viewing in another spot.
Yes, there is to be a commemorative "tidbit" for the site of the concentration camp from the federal government. This is not mentioned in any other Urban Toronto posts or in the municipal "reports". The provision of this commemorative tidbit will obviate the question of desecrating a concentration camp site: or will it?
We llok forward to your comments

I think members' apathy regarding the 'concentration camp' idea/theory, is that you haven't provided any proof. Beyond stating that it existed, you haven't done much to assert its overlooked importance in our city. Could you detail the history of the camp, who it held, what kinds of violations caused one to be sent there, when it existed...

Internment camps have been around for far longer than Toronto has been on the map (I know you said 'modern'). From those set up to 'contain' Native Americans at the hands of European explorers to those set up for the same purpose in the Philippines and Cuba, the idea of an internment/concentration camp is much older than you imply. Even if you take the definition of 'concentration camp' to be purely a wartime phenomena, the Brits were interning the Boers fifteen years before you say this thing was set up.

Furthermore, by questioning the our terminology regarding and historical use of such institutions, historiographical study argues that 'dating' such things is almost impossible. Each culture throughout the ages has had ways of dealing with 'the enemy,' most with horrific results. The Romans would have done it, Kings in the middle ages would have done it, pre-modern cultures would have done it, enlightened despots would have done it and here's the clincher - we're still doing it today.

I'm not against the idea that it could have happened in Toronto, you just haven't argued an adequate case; in fact, you haven't really made a case at all. Perhaps some informed words and a little evidence might spur more people into action. After all, if this really was the site of the first camp, something of which I am skeptical, wouldn't UNESCO or at least the municipal/provincial/federal government have recognized it already?

I'm not a historian but the use of the term 'concentration camp' seems fairly anachronistic or specific to a particular socio-historic context (Nazi Germany obviously).

I agree with Project End, does anybody have the details of the history here? I'm sort of assuming an internment of native peoples? Again, the use of the term 'concentration camp' is leading me to suspect a more recent history???

Thanks for the info', I had no idea! Just goes to show how important these commemorative plaques and monuments are.

there's something they don't teach you in history class. this is the first time i've heard of this happening in toronto.

First concentration camp and deserving of UNESCO Status? Not so much.

Significant site that should be marked (as it already is) yes.

France didn't preserve the Bastille to commemorate it. Sometimes even historical significant things don't need to be preserved.

First off, it is debatable whether the term "modern concentration camp" should even be used, considering it usually carries with it the perception of extermination or work-to-death.

What happened in Canada was certainly internment, but this on its own was not 'wrong' and was actually covered by the Hague Convention at the time. Looking through some of the history and photos at infoukes.com (the main source of info, it seems) - there is no evidence that these camps were places of abuse. Workers were housed and fed, and while in today's enlightened view these work camps would be unacceptable - internment still goes on and likely always will.

Internment alone is worthy of remembrance. Worthy of a memorial - but are Torontonians so desperate to get UNESCO attention that we're willing to exaggerate history and go grovelling for someone else's approval? Put up a memorial, even make reparations if it gets to that point - but I fail to see how self abasement at the feet of UNESCO is necessary or even worthwhile.

Back