9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

rp07

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know who the geniuses that come up with the names of condo development, but some of them are so ridiculous. Here are my top five worst names for Toronto condo projects. If anyone have other suggestions I would love to hear them.

5. Success Tower- I guess better name than Failure Tower

4. L Tower- Let's pick a letter out the hat

Tied for third all city names: London on the Espanade, Burano, Murano - Let's pick a city out the hat

2. Bohemian Emabssy Flats & Lofts- Anyone have any idea what's the reasoning of this name for this project

1. R Condos or Red Hot Condos- Newest development coming soon at Don Mills. How original.

Well, L tower is named so after the architect - Liebskind. I think that is fine.
Bohemian Embassy is so named for the bohemian-like atmosphere of West Queen West.
I have no problem with naming a condo after a city like London on the Espalanade, or Murano/Burano.
Success Tower, however, I must agree is a horrible name.

For the most part, a condo will lose any reference to it's name once it has been built. It will become known legally as Toronto Standard Condominium Corporation #XXXX, and geographically by it's street address.

That said, I have the feeling that a few new developments will retain their marketing names within the public realm. The ones I am thinking about have great names:

Shangri-la will likely keep it's name due to the hotel. Another city name, albeit a mythical city.
The Residences at the Ritz will likely retain the Ritz name due to the hotel and already established up-scale branding. Who wouldnt want to say that they live at "The Ritz"?
The same can be said for Trump Toronto if it ever gets built.
Four Seasons.... probably the same.

Redirected this thread to Toronto Issues - tough to know where it was best suited really - maybe General Discussions? - but the Projects and Construction section is being left for just actual project threads.

Well, L tower is named so after the architect - Liebskind. I think that is fine.
Bohemian Embassy is so named for the bohemian-like atmosphere of West Queen West.
I have no problem with naming a condo after a city like London on the Espalanade, or Murano/Burano.
Success Tower, however, I must agree is a horrible name.

The L tower will also appear L shaped from the south and the east.
I agree with your other comments on names here Jdot...

For the most part, a condo will lose any reference to it's name once it has been built. It will become known legally as Toronto Standard Condominium Corporation #XXXX, and geographically by it's street address.

...and I agree with that too...

That said, I have the feeling that a few new developments will retain their marketing names within the public realm. The ones I am thinking about have great names:

Shangri-la will likely keep it's name due to the hotel. Another city name, albeit a mythical city.
The Residences at the Ritz will likely retain the Ritz name due to the hotel and already established up-scale branding. Who wouldnt want to say that they live at "The Ritz"?
The same can be said for Trump Toronto if it ever gets built.
Four Seasons.... probably the same.

...but of course all those hotel related names will stay. As long as the hotel chain stays, so stays the branding. It remains to be seen if places like 550 Wellington will become known as The Thompson. They aren't a well known hotel chain, but if their name is prominent once the building is up and running, maybe that complex will come to be known for the hotelier more than the address there too.

My nomination for worst condo name? X the Condo.

The Star of Downtown (ya, right), Bliss, Luna (Lovegood?), Skyscape (all 18 floors), Pearl, San Francisco by the Bay (more like ...by the nuclear power generators)

Just any tower part of a large complex will lose their names quickly, though the complex name will last. Harbour Square, City Place, New York Towers.

Worst names would certainly include Star of Downtown, X the Condo, San Francisco by the Bay, Chicago (Toronto and MCC editions), London on the Esplanade, Be Bloor, Bloor Street Neighbourhood, and non-nouns, like Absolute (absolute what?).

Great names: Spire, Kings Court, L Tower, and names that are also a nice-sounding civic address - 1 Bedford, 1 St. Thomas, 1 King West.

Harbour Square and CityPlace are more communities or place names like The Financial District, The Annex, Little Italy etc etc than development names, so they will remain in the public concious.
CityPlace is not just the condos surrounding Spadina and Bemner. CityPlace actually is everything from Front street down to Lakeshore, from Bathurst all the way over to Bay Street. The SkyDome, CN Tower, MTCC, Roundhouse, ACC, Infinity, Union Tower (telus), Maple Leaf Square etc.
Yes, it will be the "residences of" names attached to big hotels that will keep their marketing name, for obvious reasons. When you tell a cabbie where your hotel is, you dont say the address, you say the hotel name. The same will be said for those condos.

Thanks for your input guys. I guess I was wrong about some of the names on my worst list since now I have all the info. I guess perhaps we can start a best name list. Like SeansTrans I like Spire as my favourite. It's simple and to the point.

i disagree that condos lose their name completely.. everyone I know still refers to RadioCity as such... same as Mozo... and Spire...

wtf.. they're all Context.. ;)

i disagree that condos lose their name completely.. everyone I know still refers to RadioCity as such... same as Mozo... and Spire...

wtf.. they're all Context.. ;)

yeah, those ones seem to work. context's tip top lofts will always be known as such too. whether the name 'home' sticks on their bloor west village project though is yet to be seen.

Let's not forget "Boot" and "DNA".

those are terrible.

zip is stupid. idea is a dumb one (although i understand the marketing angle there with the ikea tie-in).

rp07:

The original Bohemian Embassy was a famous coffee house and artist's hangout that operated in several locations: St. Nicholas Street ( 1960-66 ); Rochdale College ( 1971-72 ); Harbourfront ( 1974-76 ) and Queen Street ( 1991-92 ).

Here's a history of it, by founder Don Cullen:

http://doncullen.com/chapter1.html

I like the name Sapphire even though the project was scrapped it has a nice catchy name and from the old rendering it would have fit the name with its green tinted glass. Poor Stinson.

I always thought Opera Place was a kick in the jewels given the property's original plan (The Opera House).

Back