Troubleshooter or troublemaker

Cannot believe any accusations after my PDI. Beware of the Trojan horse offering a coffee club. This jeopardizes the dignity and value of our investment. I just got out of a building because one couple created a big to-do out of nothing and it created dissention in the building. I am looking forward to a happy environment and neighbours and we are all off to a great start.

BTW, I kept the builder's name under wraps because I have dignity and don't want to ruin it for others who did have a good experience and are still living there. All the other entries are great.

Solution? Bring a home inspector with you. It will be the best $250 you've ever spent.

You will not have to worry that you missed anything, they will know the difference between serious and minor issues, and they will systematically list everything (at least mine did). I would not trust myself, and most people shouldn't, to have the skills to identify all deficiencies. Not to mention doing so in the midst of what's usually an exciting moment when you see something you've waited years for the first time.

wow
Agressive? Hostile? Really?
Mr Shael is overly confident, that's true, his job is to "sell" you the unit "as is" :) and he is good at it.
Please be realistic, GG must have cut alot of corners to make ends meet, you are getting a unit at 2006 prices, finished in 2010. I would be surpised if somebody with more than 1-2 yrs experience has ever set foot in my unit :). And yet, my issues are not that the paint is not the color I picked or the caulking is cheap and sloppy. Those I will redo anyway. My kitchen cabinets are brown instead of gray. But that's not a GG issue, the design team is at Yonge/Eglington, maybe I should visit them and check if the gray is grayer there :) ...
By the way, the GFI works. Just reset it ;).

wow
Mr Shael is overly confident, that's true, his job is to "sell" you the unit "as is" :) and he is good at it.
Please be realistic, GG must have cut alot of corners to make ends meet, you are getting a unit at 2006 prices, finished in 2010. I would be surpised if somebody with more than 1-2 yrs experience has ever set foot in my unit :). And yet, my issues are not that the paint is not the color I picked or the caulking is cheap and sloppy. Those I will redo anyway. My kitchen cabinets are brown instead of gray. But that's not a GG issue, the design team is at Yonge/Eglington, maybe I should visit them and check if the gray is grayer there :) ...

Funny. When I had my colour selection last year, I could not figure out if the kitchen cabinets are gray or brown. At the end I was afraid it is gray and therefore I decided not to take a chance and go with the white one. If I knew it will look brown, then I would have taken it.

~ Go Condo Toronto ~

wow

He wasn't that bad with me though. But I can see the arguements.

Last edited:
Mr Shael is overly confident, that's true, his job is to "sell" you the unit "as is" and he is good at it.

They've already bought the unit, that's why they're there for the PDI....what's he 'selling'?

Wow, I had an amazing PDI. He did not rush me out, and I took my time. He marked things I would have missed and was very friendly and helpful. I think I was in there for about an hour.

wow
Please be realistic, GG must have cut alot of corners to make ends meet, you are getting a unit at 2006 prices, finished in 2010. I would be surpised if somebody with more than 1-2 yrs experience has ever set foot in my unit ...

i don't buy that reasoning ...
who cares when it was bought vs. when finished.

the developer priced the unit according to their anticipated costs prior to bringing it on the market ...
just because property values have increased over the past several years, that should not mean a buyer should lower their expectations just because they paid a lower price !

if one happens to buy a 'left-over' unit from the developer at current prices, the level of finishes will be the same as the ones from 2006.

1. I'm looking for a good mover (i.e., reasonable cost, reliable, and who takes good care of and respects the items).

2. Should I buy runners to protect the entrance way during the move? And cheap mats for the drop-off area? It would be nice if Great Gulf were to have mats available for people moving in. I worry about taking care of a brand new hardwood floor. I'm not sure one could insist on movers taking off the boots in the hallway and carrying things inside off a cart in the hallway.

I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

1) Try http://www.mackiegroup.com/ - I used them before and was very satisfied. I don't know what "reasonable cost" for you is, so it's best to call them and get a quote.

2) There is a moving room that connects from the outdoors to the lobby. The lobby has runners, so you do not have to worry about damaging the flooring. A good mover would have runners / mats. The movers do not generally remove their boots, but they do install runners in the unit itself to ensure there is no damage done.

1. I'm looking for a good mover (i.e., reasonable cost, reliable, and who takes good care of and respects the items).

2. Should I buy runners to protect the entrance way during the move? And cheap mats for the drop-off area? It would be nice if Great Gulf were to have mats available for people moving in. I worry about taking care of a brand new hardwood floor. I'm not sure one could insist on movers taking off the boots in the hallway and carrying things inside off a cart in the hallway.

Tippett Richardson has been excellent and reliable in the past. Top service and quality. Not tricks.

You get what you pay for, I learned that lesson loooong ago!
I've moved 9 times in the past 26 or 27 years and my last five moves were with Tippet Richardson. They're not cheap but the guys are friendly, professional and work like horses. A fellow will come to your home from Tippet Richardson, look around, give you a written estimate (but it could be more, could be less) and offer you any moving supplies that you could possibly need. No matter who you hire make sure that you take out insurance and inspect every major item as it arrives in your new home. The third time that I moved I no longer wanted to slug my possessions by renting a truck and depending on friends so I hired a reasonably priced company out of Xtra! They arrived on moving day and both guys sat in the cab & demanded 50% of the cost of the move in cash - while they charged me over an hour to sit there. No one told me this in advance or I would have had the money ready, that was only the beginning of the nightmare. They were two of the biggest a**holes I've ever dealt with and they didn't give a damn about any of my possessions, door frames, walls etc. I learned then never to go with a reasonable moving company ever again.

Back