News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Does anybody remember where the North York public library in Yorkdale was located?
doing research on it. and i cant find the location , just inside yorkdale

it was there from 1969-1993
2016430-yorkdale-map.jpg

Does anybody remember where the North York public library in Yorkdale was located?

it was there from 1969-1993

That map isn't from the 90s; so tough to say exactly. But if memory services me right, I believe the NYPL was under the Dominion (at least for part of it's life). There was an expansion of the mall, maybe in the 80s (?), that added a food court above the Dominion along with the subway corridor.I believe that the NYPL was under the Dominion until the library was closed and it was replaced with PJ's Pets in the early 90's. Dominion is now Holt Renfrew. I am like 60% certain of this.

Last edited:
Darn. I was really hoping for Simons to move into the former Nordstrom space.
As I've said before, Simons is a fashion store and Yorkdale is a fashion mall. A great fit Simons would have been...

Darn. I was really hoping for Simons to move into the former Nordstrom space.
As I've said before, Simons is a fashion store and Yorkdale is a fashion mall. A great fit Simons would have been...

Are you saying its not Simons?

Oh. You kind of made it sound like it wasn't going to be.
I honestly don't know.
They were supposed to move into Yorkdale back in 2015,
but maybe Nordstrom scared them off?
I have this article, but it's old.
It indicates that Simons plans to move into Yorkdale and Scarborough Town Centre: https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2015/06/simons-toronto/#:~:text=According to the Montreal Gazette,are yet to be determined.
(With Nordstrom gone, there is opportunity today...)

IN Current News, Simons is going full speed ahead with Halifax: https://retail-insider.com/podcast/...-retailers-ongoing-expansion-video-interview/

Last edited:

it was there from 1969-1993View attachment 551361
Hi Steve309,

I've joined the board just to answer your question. The Yorkdale Public Library branch was located was located on the North Side of the mall just the right (east) of where the Bay (formerly Simpsons). I've tried to etch this on the attached snapshot of the mall floor plan from the 1960s. The corner now houses the Old Cheesecake Factory restaurant. The library doors were almost exactly where the front double doors to the parking lots from the OCF are currently located. I worked at a number of places at Yorkdale in the 80s/90s including the CIBC branch that used to exist at that corner where the OCF is. The library was itself tiny but a little oasis. Despite small size, it had own little children's section. On days I had to work my shift at the bank, I used to study the library a place to study when I was attending university.
YorkdaleLibrary.PNG

Last edited:

Back