News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

scarberian:

Would you *really* want to eat it if it has been aging for 1000 years? (interesting supply issues with that...) :p

AoD

Hey! Alvin! Watcha got against congee? Nice with fish, or chicken, or beef, or just about anything that ever crawled over the surface of the earth or flew over it. Add some ginger, some green onion, mmmmm .... yummmeeee .....

There's a Chinese Hot Pot joint I go to in Richmond Hill where 1000 year eggs pop up in one of the broths, and despite their revolting appearance, they are quite edible. What do they colour them with?

Artist's urine?
pisschrist.jpg

Wylie,

A friend who was working in China (Shanghai etc.) mentioned working 50 stories up in steamy offices. Windows were open because their was no AC or it was insufficient, papers would yellow within a couple days (very humid), condensation inside the building during the night and black mould. The mould was everywhere and papers often would be scattered by the winds.

He has since developed several respratory allergies. On the positive side he brought back a very sweet Chinese girl. Their marriage here in Ottawa was a very nice mix of Christian and Chinese. They moved to California and are popping babies out like crazy.

Shoddy construction using cheap materials is probably to blame. While a lot of buildings look nice on the outside, the insides may be a completely different story. However, more prominent buildings such as Shanghai's Jin Mao is most likely on par with international standards.

The West Kowloon Cultural District hasn't been abandoned. Only the development model has been sent back to the drawing board. It had nothing to do with the design but rather how it was going to be built. The Hong Kong government thought they could do it using the typical property development model, which doesn't always work with a cultural project/

I stayed in the Grand Hyatt in the Jin Mao building. While it's very impressive, I did notice some shoddy workmanship on a number of small details.

I think pretty much every Communist or ex-Communist country has spectacular environmental problems. China's are exacerbated by their rapidly-growing economy and heavy use of high-sulphur coal.

I've also heard that many of the skyscrapers going up, at least in Beijing and probably elsewhere, are not properly financed nor are they to code. Many of them will not be safe and will have to be torn down in the near future. I get the impression that things are moving a bit too quickly over there.

"You'd be shocked at all the toxic stuff coming out of China these days. There's poisonous baby milk formula, soy sauce extracted from hair, and it's been reported that Chinese food vendors have mastered how to make fake chicken eggs! (why they want to do that, I don't know) Chinese tourists who go to Hong Kong sometimes spend their time there buying food products to take back to mainland China because they trust that HK people don't sell fake food."

I can give a much longer list of "fake" and toxic foods exported from China that I heard in the news in the last little while. Toxic colouring in fish, meat and vegetables to make them look better. Foodstuff from China has gotten so notorious that I now stick with products from Hong Kong and Taiwan whenever I need "Chinese".

I don't know much about buildings and their regulations there but (by extension of the examples I know) I have the impression the standards are below par or that they don't enforce them enough.

Great article in The Star on Chinese building standards in comparison to ours. An interesting read:

It's not easy building homes in China
Homes there are usually made of concrete

Contractors don't use power tools, methods different
Mar. 25, 2006. 01:00 AM
CHERYLL GILLESPIE

In China, the building process verges on insane but the houses ultimately turn out wonderfully. Here in Canada, a new homebuyer might think that the whole building process is a little crazy and that you might never get to move into your new home. But imagine if you had to build houses in China as I did over the last 2 1/2 years.

The contractors don't speak a word of English, can't read English blueprints and don't use power tools. I can't tell you how many times I caught a labourer hammering in a screw.

Chinese homes are usually made of concrete, not wood frame, so stick framing was a whole new concept to most of these folks. If you think that getting a home built in Canada is tough, try it in China.

Things tend to start off easily enough — the sea bed is only about four feet below ground level so getting the foundations right is truly important. Moreover, if the engineers recommend that you install sump pumps and expand the drainage system, you probably should. The developers in my homes chose not to heed this advice and during last summer's typhoons, I found the recently completed basements full of water — the hardwood all had to be torn up and replaced, as did much of the drywall.

Things in China tend to happen by committee so even the smallest detail is fully debated. Perhaps, this is the reason that a one-year project in Shanghai ended up taking 2 1/2 years to complete.

In China, the plumbing and electrical trades are one and the same, as the term ``shuidiangong,'' meaning water/electricity-worker somewhat alarmingly suggests.

Many of our sewer drains were placed too close to the walls and once the wall tile or marble was installed, the toilets did not fit.

Timing isn't everything in China and often, I found a unique twist to the timing of installations. Granite features were installed and on-site stone polishing took place after the "white" carpets were laid (remember I wasn't there all the time — flying in every five weeks to check on the progress, or the non-progress, of the homes).

Cabinetry was completed on top of beautiful lacquer hardwood flooring.

Just when you think that the timing could not get any worse, the workers moved all the furniture in and then decided to re-polish the marble floors. Beautiful hand-carved, custom-made foyer tables became a convenient workbench for a multitude of tradespeople.

Painters prefer not to use drop cloths and hammering, sawing, plastering and painting all take place on top of it. The concept of protecting finished areas does not exist among the labourers.

However, the Chinese have no worries — they simply bring the required trades back to repair the damage.

It's an exhausting and often overwhelming task to try to teach a respect for previously finished surfaces, appliances and furniture to the multitude of workers. Remember that China is blessed with an abundance of labourers.

Chinese workers will spend an unfathomable number of hours redoing previously finished work. But of course, this only happens if the boss insists on it.

Although, at many times, it appeared that this project would never see completion and that these gorgeous villas would never meet my standard of perfection, they ultimately did.

Not counting the numerous "re-dos" and lengthy completion process, the homes are finally completed and all involved should be proud of their workmanship.

So, when you think that the timelines from ground-breaking to finished home are too long (in Canada), consider building in China.

If you are having trouble communicating with your site supervisor or the builder, consider having to communicate in a country where you don't speak the language.

Now, count your blessings and enjoy the process — building a new home is exciting and very fulfilling.

Chinese homes are usually made of concrete, not wood frame, so stick framing was a whole new concept to most of these folks. If you think that getting a home built in Canada is tough, try it in China.
I would imagine it would be damn difficult to get a home built in Canada if you did something completely non-standard in the region.

Try getting someone here to build a styrofoam based house; stryfoam wrapped in wire mesh and stuccoed on both sides or something else abnormal.

Or take a bunch of skyscraper folks and give them a bunch of logs and hand tools to make a log cabin with.

This person would have had better luck if they stuck with the materials and tools that the workers already knew how to use.

"I can give a much longer list of "fake" and toxic foods exported from China that I heard in the news in the last little while. Toxic colouring in fish, meat and vegetables to make them look better. Foodstuff from China has gotten so notorious that I now stick with products from Hong Kong and Taiwan whenever I need "Chinese"."

That almost reads like a passage from Sinclair's "The Jungle."

Back