Previous discussion on SSP Ottawa

Le W/E 2 Website

Le W/E 2 Location 71 Rue Wellington

Renders:

Screenshot 2024-02-01 185232.png
we1.jpg
we2.jpg
we3.jpg

Agreed, looks really good. The material allowing reflections of the sky makes it look nice even on a day like that. Also probably better to reflect the sun's rays, minimizing the heat island effect, as opposed to brick and pre-cast that absorb the heat.

Seems culturally Québec tends to put a higher premium on beauty and design than Ontario which may also put a lower premium on it than coastal States. Probably wouldn’t see this attention to detail in a metro of 400k in Ontario. Am I off base? What do you think is behind this?

Seems culturally Québec tends to put a higher premium on beauty and design than Ontario which may also put a lower premium on it than coastal States. Probably wouldn’t see this attention to detail in a metro of 400k in Ontario. Am I off base? What do you think is behind this?
It seems to me that the latest crop of buildings in Gatineau are inspired by Montreal, whereas Ottawa buildings still seem to be inspired by....Ottawa. There are significant signs of change, but Ottawa development has been a sort of lazy cheapo cartel-like affair for a very long time.

It seems to me that the latest crop of buildings in Gatineau are inspired by Montreal, whereas Ottawa buildings still seem to be inspired by....Ottawa. There are significant signs of change, but Ottawa development has been a sort of lazy cheapo cartel-like affair for a very long time.
That makes sense. If you listen to the planning department and committee at the city their fall back seems to be the cheaper designs in ottawa are mainly market driven by public taste. Do you think this is the main culprit or do you think, alternatively, it is because of the influence of developers at city hall which we often hear from folks like councillor Menard?

That makes sense. If you listen to the planning department and committee at the city their fall back seems to be the cheaper designs in ottawa are mainly market driven by public taste. Do you think this is the main culprit or do you think, alternatively, it is because of the influence of developers at city hall which we often hear from folks like councillor Menard?
I would tend to agree. If you look at the general exterior appearance of the vast majority of homes in Ottawa, most people don't care enough about curb appeal.

Thanks for the brick corner! Renderings suggested the corner would incorporate the facade of the old brick commercial building that used to be there. I guess that didn't happen.

Back