News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

W

wyliepoon

Another Canadian city jumps onto the Turning Torso bandwagon...

From Canadian Architect:

Article: www.cdnarchitect.com/Issues/ISarticle.asp?id=165714&story_id=86157105910&issue=07012005&PC=&RType=

86157-56105.jpg

86157-56102.jpg

86157-56106.jpg

86157-56104.jpg

Wind tunnel model

These buildings are very Canadian in their twist - like, I'll twist a little but no so much that I'll stand out.

Halifax is really, really nimby. I wonder if this will happen.

Personally, don't particularly like them - for all intents and purposes, it is basically two slabs on a podium. The lack of height, combined with the width, didn't allow the twist to be accentuated at all.

GB

In this case I think the twisting makes them look more organic - more like large rock formations than trendy modernist sculpture. Mind you, I wouldn't want a dull gray *(rock-like) curtain wall on them. Eliminating the fairly flat tops (by say adding more of a slope than there is) would improve them, IMO.

The Halifax Twist has an iceberg-y look to it which makes it seem quite monolithic, especially in the second rendering. A nice counterpoint to the more machine-milled aesthetic of the Vancouver Twist.

The twist was almost passe before it was ever in. Im not a fan for the most part but I think this could work in Halifax. Its a nice contemporary contrast to the rest of the city. Whether it gets built is questionable given citizens desire to retain the low rise character in the city but if it does, it could quite a nice addition.

they seem a bit squat and wide to me...I would like to see more detailed renderings.

I agree, they look far to short to pull off any real twist.

Unless it twists one full revolution, it just looks crooked...

Shit, a new building for Halifax, whooooooo that’s one every 15 years. A parking lot will be built that’s about it. This city needs a kick in the ass to get it jump-started. They even put a cap on how many single homes can be built per year. What the hell's wrong with the old guys running this place. People just keep leaving. Hicks move into Halifax from the county, but the city people want out. In all HRM, hundreds and hundreds of square miles only 600 new homes built in 18 months. Nice place to be on welfare. :p

Back