News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

The problem with the Canadian Marketplace is that we love monopolies - or that is the way it seems. Even if you are in a market with both cable and bell - it is way too easy for them to "not compete" (not by explicit deals which are illegal - just by signalling through matching packaging or decreases in service). No real competition means low service, no need to invest as much, and higher prices.

It is time the market was shook up, and the wholesale and retail (bell, cable) operations broken up. The lines (wholesale) a regulated monopoly/duopoly, and the retail providers (lower cost of entry - higher competition in that area).

An other option would be to create a "Hydro One" (lines) crown company which provides the last mile of access (ownership, not necessarily maintenance), which would put out bids for building the infrastructure. The maintenance could be done by any "authorized" technicians (paid for by retail operations). These last miles would run to aggregation points (public schools, transit points (subway), universities, subway, courts etc.) and then from that point on there would be aggregators which would feed data to ISPs connection point (this would be private) - to 151 Front in Toronto which is communications central for most of the ISPs in Ontario. Basically it would be a recognition that it is not economically feasible to have a large number of line providers (costs go up dramatically if you are serving one out of 6 houses vs one out of 2) - and by breaking off wholesale it would be allow for greater competition.

The lines would have their price set at cost (including infrastructure loan payback) + 15% (or some profit amount) which would go back into public revenues (maybe to subsidize rural area infrastructure). The standards for the local lines would be set by the greater of the local community/provincial/federal policy and price of lines for that area set proportionally.

You would then get a line charge (collected by one of the providers - depending on which one installs first - or your choice to move), and the cost for private services (ISP, cable**, telephone, or any new services).

Because there is a base infrastructure, channels (networks etc.) (canadian channels and maybe international news stations) would be able to hire the aggregators "free-feed" (commercial based) content to you directly - bypassing cable operators. Non-profits, schools, etc. could use public infrastructure to feed community channels directly to the end user as well - for minimal costs. This would allow the diversification of local Canadian content.

Cable operators would become channel aggregators, which would build packages that meet the CRTC requirements (bundling US stations with Canadian stations) and be able to sell packages.

Basically, I think the whole way the infrastructure is provided should be reworked.

Does anyone think that maybe the CRTC has outgrown its usefulness. Kind of like the OMB and the Ontario Censor Board.

Does anyone think that maybe the CRTC has outgrown its usefulness. Kind of like the OMB and the Ontario Censor Board.

The Ontario Censor Board hasn't been a "censor board" for decades, it's The Ontario Film Review Board. They only classify films which I support, they don't cut, censor or ban films (except some adult films which contain some extreme acts that I can't describe here).
I don't think the CRTC has outlived it's usefulness however as cacruden notes above, it needs a major shakeup. They are a Federal Regulator which is clearly in the pockets of the telecommunication giants, and not working for the greater public interest.
I'm mixed on the OMB, they serve a useful purpose even though I may not always agree with the outcome of their decisions.
Now the Toronto Port Authority is another organization that needs a shakeup to better represent the interests of local citizens, yet still maintain it's status as a Federal Agency.

CRTC as it is now - should be abolished. They mission right now seems to be protecting Canadian companies from foreign competition - and even real competition (in a real marketplace there are losers and winners - in ours the cable channels always seem to win - while the only losers are the customers).

It's focus should by consumer focused - ensuring that when the market place becomes dysfunctional (like it is now) that it can step in to protect the customer. Allowing cable companies and phone companies to merge production (cable channels - television channels) with conduit services is only making a bad situation (wholesale and retail combined) worse.

It looks like the CRTC doesn't get tired of flipping the bird @ the Canadian public:

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/718175--crtc-rules-globalive-not-canadian-enough?bn=1#article

I got F'cked in 2 ways:
BAD - My Rogers contract is up and I was either going to switch to WINDmobile or use them as leverage for a better plan.
WORSE - I had been awarded a major contract for work with WINDmobile that will most certainly be cancelled due to WIND not being able to launch as planned. I already purchased equipment and booked flights and hotels for this contract.

EFFFF!!! :mad:

Maybe it's time to pressure the Canadian news organizations to pressure the goverment to step in to save those new jobs coming from WIND.

My gut is that cabinet will overturn this fairly quickly. They were already approved by Industry Canada to bid, they have made major investments - and I believe a number of jobs were slated for Peterborough - and I believe there is a cabinet minister from there? Who is probably none to pleased. I still think that we should eliminate any foreign investment ban anyways - I mean all we are actually doing is allowing Canadian companies to scr#w Canadians - a foreign company could not be worse - they should focus more on making sure that there is a functional market keeping prices down for consumers instead of allowing monopolistic practices like they have been.

I hope you're right cacruden. This couldn't get any more nerve wracking for me. It'll be a miracle if WIND launches as planned in a few weeks.

So many people have been working very hard for the launch and all of that work will be lost even if they have to put the launch off by a few months. We'll need to start from scratch.

Rogers is raising prices on their Internet service plans and cutting back bandwidth. How in the world could someone go from 60GB of bandwidth per month down to 2GB? I dumped their crappy Internet service (@Home) back in the 90's when Bell introduced DSL downtown. Since then I've been very happy with their service, consistently fast speed, tech. support and plans every since. I live close to a switching centre (or something like that) so I've always had great speeds through the plans I've had over the years.

http://www.thestar.com/business/art...-price-hike-adding-to-rogers-telecom-troubles

Edit, also found this related discussion thread on the Canadian Digital Home forum - http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=119442

Ironically (telecom related), this past week I was thinking of adding a couple services to my Bell land-line. I went on their website and found that I'm paying $12 more than what they are advertising (no features, just a basic land-line). I called them up, got a really friendly CSR, easily haggled a bit and now I get three calling features and I'll pay $6 a month less than what I'm paying now plus I still get $15 off for bundling three services. This is nickels and dimes but it shows that if you keep your eye on the ball, overcharging for old plans could be more common than we may think.

Last edited:
Telecoms charge as much as they can get away with. Complain early and complain often, and don't pay more than you have to.

Now for the past week or so Rogers has been throttling my entire internet connection. I'm getting 1.9 megabits/sex download max (should be 10). I can't even use Youtube anymore. I am seriously considering canceling my internet altogether. Had enough of this shit. So if starting next week you don't see any more posts from me, you know why. No more internet for me.

A friend of mine on Rogers was demonstrating Netflix to me last weekend, it didn't go very well as it was achingly slow. I have the 12MB package with Sympatico (fastest available in my area) with 140GB per month of bandwidth so I'm going to give Netflix a try for the first month, just for fun plus it's free. In the past 4-6 weeks I've had no throttling at all, Sympatico used to throttle from about 8am to 1am. Strange.

Last edited:
Now for the past week or so Rogers has been throttling my entire internet connection. I'm getting 1.9 megabits/sex download max (should be 10). I can't even use Youtube anymore. I am seriously considering canceling my internet altogether. Had enough of this shit. So if starting next week you don't see any more posts from me, you know why. No more internet for me.
Don't know if this could apply to you, but I recently got a new router and I haven't had any of the service interruptions I had with the old one.

Assuming you haven't, call them up a few times. Maybe you'll get lucky and talk to a Rogers CSR who knows something.

Don't know if this could apply to you, but I recently got a new router and I haven't had any of the service interruptions I had with the old one.

Thank you for the suggestion. I fixed the problem by unplugging the router from the power supply and then plugging it back it in. So I am back up 9.9 mbps download speed.

The only reason I went with Rogers in the first place is because my area has no Sympatico service. But I'm too lazy to switch now.

Back