I'm curious UD, what is it about Shangri-La you find "quite awful"?
Another thing I'm curious about, is what comparable structure exists in Coal Harbour????

It looks a lot like the Shangri-La Vancouver, though that's about three blocks away from what I would consider the edge of Coal Harbour.

I think it's profoundly boring. It's almost invisible in its banality, like a giant chunk of glass that disappears into its surroundings. It's hard to even perceive this as architecture rather than a giant reflection of the sky.

i have shown pictures of shangrila to many people and everytime thier reaction is.."wow" and im with them. its stunning and a beautiful addition for toronto. adds much interest. well needed.

I like Shangri-La....thumbs waay up from this corner...

I don't even like that style of building ... but I think Shangri-La is a success and a great addition to the skyline. It's a glass box but has just enough detail to give it some character. At ground level it's a real winner with that podium. The two fishbowls on University do a great job of opening up to the street and compliment the open FSC. Imagine how animated the core would feel if there was a lot more of that. Every mediocre downtown tower should be opened up like that instead of the bunkers we have now. The public art is fantastic and the rebuilt heritage buildings do a passable job of stitching the building on to Adelaide. And I like that it can look over at Trump and thumb its nose and say, "Just 'cause your head comes to a point, doesn't mean you're sharp."

That would be cool!!! None of the high end hotels so far have made use of the old world crystal chandeliers. I love them...u see them all over Europe!!!!

I think it's profoundly boring. It's almost invisible in its banality, like a giant chunk of glass that disappears into its surroundings. It's hard to even perceive this as architecture rather than a giant reflection of the sky.

Profoundly boring? Interesting that you don't simply find it boring. Sounds to me like you're hedging your bets there!

I dunno about you, but when I see this thing in real life, I never mistake it for a giant reflection in the sky. And I wish I had access to one of those westward-looking double-floor suites.

I think it's one smart-looking building.

wth, where are the trees on the roof that the render showed? If it opens Aug 31 i would think they'd have those up by now. I'm starting to think they're never going to be. Damn you Shangri-la!

Hopefully they can make the August 31 open date. There's a TIFF event, The Shangri-La Hotel Toronto Asian Film Summit, scheduled for September 10th. Jackie Chan is the guest of honour.

There are to be four Momofuku restaurants (Noodle Bar, Nikai, Daisho, Shoto), but will some (or all) of them be ready in time for TIFF? One would think a new restaurant would need a few weeks for the staff the settle in and for the menus to be refined. But TIFF starts in less than a month.

Last edited:

Back