News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The views from Riverdale park are gorgeous, especially at sunset. I look forward to taking more shots with the changing colours in the fall.

I can just imagine how lovely the fall colours are. Fall is the only time I haven't visited. I still work for a living unfortunately, and fall is the busy season.

Anyone every think a pedestrian bridge could be built across the eastern gap? Or perhaps a connection between Tommy Thompson park peninsula and the port lands?
Yes, I do think the Eastern Gap is realistic, but I also think that Island residents would be unanimously against this (especially since it is their part of the Island). If YTZ ever goes bye bye though, I suppose we'll get our link with the tunnel on the Western Gap instead.

Gang,
I saw a few photos taken from the Grand Toronto Hotel (near Dundas St E & Jarvis) rooftop that are AMAZING. I live nearby and wish I could sneak up there to take a few pictures! Has anyone been up there before (there appear to be two whirlpools and some kind of lounge up on the rooftop). I absolutely LOVE cityscape photography and (being relatively new to Toronto) would love to talk more with some of you about where to get unique shots of downtown (can I post found pictures here? I found one on Flickr with two buildings full of graffiti and the downtown skyline in the background)...anyways I see a lot of great photos on here!

CNTowerwithcaption_zps761639b2.jpg

So Brookfield Place's Bay-Wellington Tower has really lit up the roof! Looks pretty awesome, and really stands out on the skyline.

Brookfield%20Place%20-%20Bay-Wellington%20Tower.JPG

Those lights used to be on, but had been shut off -- or only left on at the very top -- for a while. Maybe they updated their lighting system to LED technology? Illuminating the TD Canada Trust Tower's setbacks and crown would look really beautiful.

Last edited:
23 September 2013:

Toronto should really build a stunning marvellous piece of architecture (designed by a really great architect) on that last spot(?) on the other side of Sugar Beach on downtown lakeshore (where the white and green industrial cranes are in the photo).

The hope is still with Toronto's waterfront.
We could see that image in professional architecture textbooks, if we build something equivalent to or even greater than the Sydney Opera House or the Oslo Opera House right there.

Last edited:
Those lights used to be on, but had been shut off -- or only left on at the very top -- for a while. Maybe they updated their lighting system to LED technology? Illuminating the TD Canada Trust Tower's setbacks and crown would look really beautiful.
I think they switched to LED, because it's got that blue tinge to it.

I think they switched to LED, because it's got that blue tinge to it.

Of all the towers in the CBD, that is probably the least attractive one to illuminate. I wonder how Royal Bank Plaza's crowns would look if they were lit up? There are lots of buildings in the core that should have architectural lighting. I don't know why this city's building tenants/landlords are so cheap and uninterested in such things? It would add so much life to the city. On the topic of lighting. I messaged the Senior Tenant Coordination Manager at Simpson Tower re restoration of the crown lighting. She invited me to meet with her. I politely declined. I said I wasn't a lighting professional and that I didn't have much else to say, beyond my initial message. I just replied with a few more words and showed her some old photos of the skyline, that showed the lit up tower. So who knows if anything will come of this? More people, with better expertise than myself, should send out emails to the various bank/office towers/hotels and ask them if they'd consider implementing architectural lighting to their crowns, setbacks, etc...It's amazing how much potential an email can deliver. The more messages that tenants/landlords receive, the more likely we are to actually see some change in attitudes. It's appalling that Commerce Court North and the Royal Bank aren't illuminated. For such a supposedly sophisticated and creative city, you think we could get basic details, such as architectural lighting (for our many of our most lauded buildings) addressed. Toronto is a city with deep pockets and short arms.

Last edited:
Toronto should really build a stunning marvellous piece of architecture (designed by a really great architect) on that last spot(?) on the other side of Sugar Beach on downtown lakeshore (where the white and green industrial cranes are in the photo)..

That's the Redpath Sugar Refinery and it's not going anywhere. It brings good industrial jobs downtown and uses ships to bring in most of its raw material so being on the lake is sort of important.

Back