News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

That's not a good thing. Unless our infrastructure expands to support the inevitable population increase then we're in for an even bigger traffic nightmare. I too think Toronto is already big enough. I don't want the city any busier than it already is.

Well now, Jason......

Are we using City-Proper data?

If so, the Province's data suggests Toronto's 2009 population was 2,680,000

The article you cited pegs Chicago's at 2,695,000 currently.

Given that Toronto certainly grew in population last year, and likely will again this by a number in the 10's of thousands....

I would suggest we are probably already there, subject to confirmation by the 2011 census.

If one uses the 'urban area' instead.....

Then Wikipedia, using an area '5,500sq km' pegs Chicago at 8,700,000

While using an area of only 1,700km2 pegs the 'urban' area of Toronto at 5,100,000 (circa 2006)

Using the wider 'GTA' lense, the 2006 figure for Toronto was 5,500,000

Now, I'll bet with some confidence that number is over 500,000 and possibly 1,000,000 higher today.

Still that would leave us about 2,000,000 behind Chicago in sprawl-plex measurement.

Declining PPUs (persons per unit) in the suburban portions of the City are diminishing population gains from condos... in many areas of the City the population is falling not rising.

I think this might be the first time a US city has declined in population due to black flight; most of the population losses took place in black neighbourhoods, particularly when housing projects were demolished and their residents relocated elsewhere. The Loop, the wealthier northern neighbourhoods and the gentrifying areas to the northwest all gained 15% in population.

That's not a good thing. Unless our infrastructure expands to support the inevitable population increase then we're in for an even bigger traffic nightmare. I too think Toronto is already big enough. I don't want the city any busier than it already is.

During the election campaign, Rob Ford expressed a desire to ban all immigration to Toronto because of the strain immigrants put on the city's infrastructure. Perhaps this proposal needs to be looked at seriously.

During the election campaign, Rob Ford expressed a desire to ban all immigration to Toronto because of the strain immigrants put on the city's infrastructure. Perhaps this proposal needs to be looked at seriously.

I always took that seriously. It was the pc crowd that was up in arms. All they were hearing was 'no more immigrants.' They weren't even paying attention to the context. What he said makes perfect sense. The TTC is a joke and under developed, our roads are congested beyond belief. How could we possibly accept any more people at this time? People need to examine what he said from a logical standpoint rather than letting their emotions do their thinking. There are currently a dozen large condos approved for my immediate area and traffic is already at a standstill in the morning and evenings. I can't imagine what it's going to be like once these are completed and the inevitable influx of more immigrants to come. It seems to be people from downtown that are generally more pro-immigration, from my experience. Could that be because immigrants are forced to live in the suburbs? So as long as it doesn't effect them, they don't care how many come? It's easy to be in favour of mass immigration when you don't have to share the already packed roads with them. Would downtowners still feel the same if immigrants/refugees all lived in their neighbourhoods, making their commute slower? I'm by no means against immigration, I just think we allow too many, too hastily rather than allowing a slow progression. Until our infrastructure is upgraded and expanded I think we need to slow down the process. Like Rob said, we can't even look after our own citizens. It doesn't get any more clear cut than that. Another thing that I don't understand is the 'we need more immigrants because the birth rate is declining' argument. That couldn't be more untrue. Canadians simply need to have more children. We need to ask ourselves why the birth rate among Canadians has dropped. Is it due to our high taxes, real estate prices, general expensiveness of living in this country? I think that plays a large role. It's hard enough for married couples to support themselves, let alone large families like they did in the past, hence you're seeing a lot more parents having 1 or 2 children, max. Most couples now both work full time because it's now necessary just to make an average living, so that leaves less time for raising children. Why don't we address these issues instead of surrendering to immigration as the only resolution?

Last edited:
I always took that seriously. It was the pc crowd that was up in arms. 'How dare he say such a thing.' All they were hearing was 'no more immigrants.' They weren't even paying attention to the context. What he said makes perfect sense. The TTC is a joke and under developed, our roads are congested beyond belief. How could we possibly accept any more people at this time? People need to examine what he said from a logical standpoint rather than letting their emotions do their thinking. There are currently a dozen large condos approved for my immediate area and traffic is already at a standstill in the morning and evenings. I can't imagine what it's going to be like once these are completed and the inevitable influx of more immigrants to come.

Are you sure you are in the right forum pal? In case you missed it, this is a URBAN DEVELOPMENT forum.

I think you are looking for this place:

http://www.toronto.ca/311/

Toronto and Chicago would both be passed by Houston if it decided to gobble up more of Harris County's vast swaths of unincorporated suburbia. It could actually give LA a run for its money.

^So having too much growth due to immigration = putting a strain on our infrastructure but we need Canadians to have more babies?

Next!

^So having too much growth due to immigration = putting a strain on our infrastructure but we need Canadians to have more babies?

Next!

I like how you twisted that. My point still remains, however, we would still need the same infrastructure growth to support more Canadians.

Back